“Beautiful old hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful old hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed in the Royal Sonesta in early November. Had a small balcony on the 2nd floor of the building in Conti Street. The hotel, as most are, is very old. The rooms were updated and that's what mattered most to us. No coffee maker in the room was an unwelcomed discovery, but just downstairs was PJ's, which I'm sure is why they choose not to place coffee in the room, but, PJ's was fine. My husband and I really need that cup of coffee to go out and get that cup of coffee, but we managed.
The beds were beyond comfortable. Best nights sleep in ages. Very hard to leave that bed but will all NOLA has to see and do, we forced ourselves.
The hotel had one bank of 2 elevators but even with just 2, we never waited long for one.
We didn't eat at the hotel because we were out and about but I heard comments that people enjoiyed their food. Great choice for hotels if you want to be in the thick of the Bourbon St action!

Room Tip: Stay on a side street if you value your sleep!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Patty, we are sorry for the lack of an in-room coffee maker in your guest room. We are reviewing this situation so appreciate your comment. We are glad that you enjoyed a good nights rest on our comfortable beddings, which Sonesta prides itself on. Please know that complete room renovations are planned for 2013, and we have already renovated the third and fourth levels.

2,100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Turkish first
north wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have just returned from this fantastic Hotel. The staff , ambiance & food at Desire are absolutely Fantastic. The manager of the R club Level Darin is amazing he is a mind of information and pleasant and helpful at all times a real asset to the sonesta group. The hotel is placed right in the middle of Bourbon street so is just about the centre af all the action. we would recommend this Hotel 100 per cent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ericwyn, we are looking forward to sharing your comments with our team! Thank you for choosing to stay in our R Club concierge level at the Royal Sonesta Hotel and for sharing this feedback of your stay. We appreciate your high recommendation of our property and teams at Desire Bistro & Oyster Bar and in the R Club, and we hope you come see us next time you’re in New Orleans!
Beaumont, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

First, this hotel's location is its main attraction. In the heart of the French Quarter. Near the sin of Bourbon Street, but safe from it. The rooms are small and somewhat dated. The beds are very small and past their replacement date. It is clean, but just feels a little "ick" seeps in from the street. The staff is cordial, but I would not necessarily call them friendly. They certainly are courteous if you are the one who starts the conversation. The staff will only speak if spoken to. If you want over the top service, this is not the hotel for you. If you want location, then it is.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
David, thank you for taking the time to review our guest rooms, staff, and location and bringing these issues to our attention. Please know that your comments are very important and we take them very seriously as we pride ourselves on our friendly service and staff. We hope you will try us again and find the warmth that most people comment on.
Chillicothe, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

A very nice visit. The Royal Sonesta is directly on Bourbon Street, oh my what more could you ask for? Our room was nice not what we asked for. We squeezed in a roll away for the evening, you know they were busy! Our Window overlooked Bourbon St.and it is quite picturesque across from the Music Legends Park. The music flowing up to our window was out of the 40'S and quite remarkable. After a walk down the street and sipping our fabulous Hurricane we found steps that led us up to a balcony where we were able to watch all the festivities going on below. The music coming out the many doorways we passed was delightful!. Any kind that you would like. Great Musicians everywhere. Once we fell asleep we didn't even know there was anything down below. In the morning my husband and daughter ventured down to the hotel desk to have a chat about our room..After an hour and a half the lovely lady, a manager and several phone cals to whom we weren't sure they relented and gave us a new room with two beds at least! Oh yes a towel upgrade also. The couryard/ pool area was lovely. Ask for a room there maybe you will be able to get one. The hotel has several restaurants. We found Dessire to be a great spot for a fab breakfast. If you don't like sounds from the street this is not the place to stay. We found it wonderful, others complained. I asked if they knew where they were? Five stars I cannot give the Sonesta, people asleep in the lobby not my favorite site. Everything you need just a few blocks away, loved Canal Street, French Market, Coop's Place, Jackson Square, Grapevine Restaurant, Everyone helpful that we spoke with, a most friendly atmosphere. Oh did I tell you we booked our room 2 months before our visit and they did not have one with two queen beds? Remember it was Thanksgiving. Truly remarkable!

Room Tip: rooms facing Bourbon Street to enjoy the music and the noise or In the Courtyard if you are not a mu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kathleen, we are honored that you chose the Royal Sonesta Hotel for your Thanksgiving celebration this year! We are very sorry for the inconvenience of not having your requested room type available upon your arrival, but we are happy to know how much you enjoyed your stay regardless. We will address this comment regarding our lobby, and we hope that this trip is the start of future visits to New Orleans for you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I made a reservation at another hotel for me, my wife and my youngest daughter, who had never been to New Orleans. When we arrived, I was appalled, and knew I had to find another place to stay right away. Royal Sonesta was just around the corner. When I entered the hotel, I was greeted by an amazing array of Christmas trees and lights that immediately told me that I had chosen the correct spot; however, that was just the beginning. Nicole, one of the front desk personnel, personally showed me 2 different rooms at my request, and I ended up booking a suite. She gave me what I felt was a terrific rate on short notice, and generally gave me the type of service that you might receive from a concierge at a 5-star resort, if you were lucky. I will absolutely stay at Royal Sonesta again, and I hope somehow Nicole gets the recognition from this review that she deserves !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Michael,
Thank you for this review regarding your first visit to the Royal Sonesta Hotel in New Orleans, and the outstanding five star service you received from Nicole at the front desk. I am pleased to know she provided you a “royal” experience. The Royal Sonesta consistently strives to create an authentic New Orleans experience with the dining and entertainment experiences our guests have always imagined by offering the highest level of customer service possible. Inspiring comments such as yours reaffirm that we are reaching that goal. We truly value your patronage Michael and look forward to serving you again.
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in July. The location was incredible. Walking distance to Jackson Square, street cars, Canal Street, and the French Market. The craziness of Bourbon Street is right outside the front door. Inside the hotel is a totally different atmosphere. We had a courtyard room on the pool level. Our back door opened right on the walkway to go to the pool, or just to the pool bar. There are multiple dining options, ranging from coffee shop to high end steakhouse. Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Lounge was very nice, and Mayfield himself walked in and performed one night.

The reason we chose this hotel was because we knew everything we needed was on site. So, if the weather was bad, and we had two days of heavy rain, all we had to do was ride down the elevator, and everything we needed was right there.

The cost was more than I usually pay for hotels, but it was worth it. The location was great, and the experience was unforgettable. I lived in New Orleans when I was a kid. This was my first trip as an adult. I WILL BE BACK.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin, reviews like yours are exactly what we strive for! We are thrilled to know that you loved the authentic New Orleans experience that you found all within our doors at the Royal Sonesta Hotel. Thank you for sharing your “unforgettable” visit to the Crescent City and we look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

This is the only place I stay when visiting the French Quarter. My husband and I love the service and the high quality of all it's amenities. The hotel staff is friendly and accommodating. We make sure to visit our Sonesta family at least twice a year.

• Stayed December 2012
ACT_ARM, reading your review really made our day! The Royal Sonesta consistently strives to create an authentic New Orleans experience with the dining and entertainment experiences our guests have always imagined by offering the highest level of customer service possible. Inspiring comments such as yours reaffirm that we are reaching that goal. Thank you for your feedback and know that we truly value your patronage.

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!