“Location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Beaumont, Texas
“Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

First, this hotel's location is its main attraction. In the heart of the French Quarter. Near the sin of Bourbon Street, but safe from it. The rooms are small and somewhat dated. The beds are very small and past their replacement date. It is clean, but just feels a little "ick" seeps in from the street. The staff is cordial, but I would not necessarily call them friendly. They certainly are courteous if you are the one who starts the conversation. The staff will only speak if spoken to. If you want over the top service, this is not the hotel for you. If you want location, then it is.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
David, thank you for taking the time to review our guest rooms, staff, and location and bringing these issues to our attention. Please know that your comments are very important and we take them very seriously as we pride ourselves on our friendly service and staff. We hope you will try us again and find the warmth that most people comment on.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Turkish first
Chillicothe, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

A very nice visit. The Royal Sonesta is directly on Bourbon Street, oh my what more could you ask for? Our room was nice not what we asked for. We squeezed in a roll away for the evening, you know they were busy! Our Window overlooked Bourbon St.and it is quite picturesque across from the Music Legends Park. The music flowing up to our window was out of the 40'S and quite remarkable. After a walk down the street and sipping our fabulous Hurricane we found steps that led us up to a balcony where we were able to watch all the festivities going on below. The music coming out the many doorways we passed was delightful!. Any kind that you would like. Great Musicians everywhere. Once we fell asleep we didn't even know there was anything down below. In the morning my husband and daughter ventured down to the hotel desk to have a chat about our room..After an hour and a half the lovely lady, a manager and several phone cals to whom we weren't sure they relented and gave us a new room with two beds at least! Oh yes a towel upgrade also. The couryard/ pool area was lovely. Ask for a room there maybe you will be able to get one. The hotel has several restaurants. We found Dessire to be a great spot for a fab breakfast. If you don't like sounds from the street this is not the place to stay. We found it wonderful, others complained. I asked if they knew where they were? Five stars I cannot give the Sonesta, people asleep in the lobby not my favorite site. Everything you need just a few blocks away, loved Canal Street, French Market, Coop's Place, Jackson Square, Grapevine Restaurant, Everyone helpful that we spoke with, a most friendly atmosphere. Oh did I tell you we booked our room 2 months before our visit and they did not have one with two queen beds? Remember it was Thanksgiving. Truly remarkable!

Room Tip: rooms facing Bourbon Street to enjoy the music and the noise or In the Courtyard if you are not a mu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kathleen, we are honored that you chose the Royal Sonesta Hotel for your Thanksgiving celebration this year! We are very sorry for the inconvenience of not having your requested room type available upon your arrival, but we are happy to know how much you enjoyed your stay regardless. We will address this comment regarding our lobby, and we hope that this trip is the start of future visits to New Orleans for you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I made a reservation at another hotel for me, my wife and my youngest daughter, who had never been to New Orleans. When we arrived, I was appalled, and knew I had to find another place to stay right away. Royal Sonesta was just around the corner. When I entered the hotel, I was greeted by an amazing array of Christmas trees and lights that immediately told me that I had chosen the correct spot; however, that was just the beginning. Nicole, one of the front desk personnel, personally showed me 2 different rooms at my request, and I ended up booking a suite. She gave me what I felt was a terrific rate on short notice, and generally gave me the type of service that you might receive from a concierge at a 5-star resort, if you were lucky. I will absolutely stay at Royal Sonesta again, and I hope somehow Nicole gets the recognition from this review that she deserves !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Michael,
Thank you for this review regarding your first visit to the Royal Sonesta Hotel in New Orleans, and the outstanding five star service you received from Nicole at the front desk. I am pleased to know she provided you a “royal” experience. The Royal Sonesta consistently strives to create an authentic New Orleans experience with the dining and entertainment experiences our guests have always imagined by offering the highest level of customer service possible. Inspiring comments such as yours reaffirm that we are reaching that goal. We truly value your patronage Michael and look forward to serving you again.
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in July. The location was incredible. Walking distance to Jackson Square, street cars, Canal Street, and the French Market. The craziness of Bourbon Street is right outside the front door. Inside the hotel is a totally different atmosphere. We had a courtyard room on the pool level. Our back door opened right on the walkway to go to the pool, or just to the pool bar. There are multiple dining options, ranging from coffee shop to high end steakhouse. Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Lounge was very nice, and Mayfield himself walked in and performed one night.

The reason we chose this hotel was because we knew everything we needed was on site. So, if the weather was bad, and we had two days of heavy rain, all we had to do was ride down the elevator, and everything we needed was right there.

The cost was more than I usually pay for hotels, but it was worth it. The location was great, and the experience was unforgettable. I lived in New Orleans when I was a kid. This was my first trip as an adult. I WILL BE BACK.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin, reviews like yours are exactly what we strive for! We are thrilled to know that you loved the authentic New Orleans experience that you found all within our doors at the Royal Sonesta Hotel. Thank you for sharing your “unforgettable” visit to the Crescent City and we look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

This is the only place I stay when visiting the French Quarter. My husband and I love the service and the high quality of all it's amenities. The hotel staff is friendly and accommodating. We make sure to visit our Sonesta family at least twice a year.

• Stayed December 2012
ACT_ARM, reading your review really made our day! The Royal Sonesta consistently strives to create an authentic New Orleans experience with the dining and entertainment experiences our guests have always imagined by offering the highest level of customer service possible. Inspiring comments such as yours reaffirm that we are reaching that goal. Thank you for your feedback and know that we truly value your patronage.
Newton, MA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Let's face it. If you're over the age of 22, Bourbon Street is seedy. It may be fun, it may be wild, it may be the easiest place in the world to get hammered, but it is seedy. It is thus quite surprising to find the Royal Sonesta situated on this very street, and yet there it is, an island of class in a sea of debauchery.

The lobby is large and lovely, the staff was courteous and friendly and the room was quite nice. It wasn't overly large, but it was large enough. My particular room faced an inner courtyard, so it was completely immune to the noise of Bourbon street. However, I heard from other guests who had rooms facing Bourbon street that they could hear the noise.

One of the best parts of the hotel is the jazz bar right off the lobby. It played host to some excellent musicians and had a well stocked bar. It did attract an older crowd, so if that isn't your scene, there are plenty of other options down the street. It is Bourbon Steet after all.

Room Tip: Get one that doesn't face Bourbon Street
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Metlz86, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Royal Sonesta Hotel and taking the time to share your feedback on our location, friendly team, and the entertainment in Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse. Please come back to see us next time you’re in New Orleans!
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Beautiful hotel, great pool, excellent location (except if you want to sleep in blissful quiet. It's right on Bourbon Street). We booked a balcony room and got just what we requested except you share most balconies with two or three other rooms. Bring earplugs or a sound machine because even if you are on the side street, the action is loud and goes on most of the night. Customer service at check-in/check-out was the weakest part of the experience. You would think that this aspect would require the best and most well-trained employees.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brett, we appreciate your taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention, as they provide us with the information necessary to evaluate our performance. We apologize for the level of service you received from members of our front desk during your stay. This is certainly not the normal manner in which we operate our Front Desk and we sincerely apologize. The Royal Sonesta strives to exceed guest expectations by providing the highest level of customer service possible. Brett, because we truly value your patronage, we hope that you consider revisiting us to experience the Royal Sonesta in the manner intended.

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!