“Fantastic hotel with an efficient staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
French Quarter Fling
Ranked #21 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Fantastic hotel with an efficient staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I recently planned an event at the Royal Sonesta and the planning was done remotely. The event was a luxurious 40th birthday celebration with a total of 50 people in attendance. With the assistance of the staff members Colleen Page and Jackie Sanabria, the event was executed flawlessly all with an extremely friendly staff. On a personal note, I have been in the event planning business for many years and the professionalism I experienced was of the highest standards. I am tremendously thankful for the staff members’ expertise, organizational skills, and enthusiasm to assist their clients. Should the opportunity ever present itself for a NOLA event, it would be my pleasure to work with Colleen Page again.

U.S.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

2,120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Turkish first
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My Mother and I attended my cousin's wedding at the Royal Sonesta last weekend. The hospitality of the employees was wonderful. The wedding was beautiful and ended with a "second line" all the way down Bourbon Street over to Royal and back!!!! I will always cherish the time spent at the Royal Sonesta!

Room Tip: I had a standard room facing one of the courtyards. It was spacious and beautifully appointed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Stavanger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

3 of my colleagues and I stayed at the royal sonesta hotel from 14-16 nov 2012 . We had a wonderful time there and loved the hotel. Fab rooms and brilliant location in bourbon street. Will defenatly go back if I ever go to New Orleans again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I am a person who knows deep down she was meant to have been born in the city of New Orleans, there is no place like it on this earth and the food, music, history, culture, etc....are just part of it. The biggest plus to NOLA is the people who live there, they are wonderful. I go to NOLA at minimum two times a year and the only hotel I will stay at is the wonderful Royal Sonesta Hotel. The hotel is just gorgeous, the rooms are great, the pool deck is the best in the city and is rocking during Jazz Fest! The location is prime and their staff is top notch. From the moment you arrive and their wonderful doormen (like Malcolm who always greets me with.... "My Queen is here"!) you feel like your in for an amazing experience. The bellman, the front desk staff, the concierge, all top notch! I've stayed in several other NOLA hotels years ago but once i discovered the Sonesta it was all over for me - - - I'm hooked! 6 stars in my opinion and worth the price!

Room Tip: I always ask to stay on the higher floors away from the Bourbon Street noise - I've been in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Susie, reviews like yours are exactly what we strive for! Thank you for choosing to stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel every time you visit New Orleans. We greatly appreciate your recommendations and will share your compliments with our team, especially Malcolm. We’ll see you next time!
Fitzgerald, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Highly recommend the R club level - the concierge desk outside the elevators was a nice touch - we received several excellent food recommendations from these nice folks.

Great location on Bourbon - on this level you cant hear any of the partying from Bourbon.

Ate a Desire twice - once for lunch and once for breakfast - highly recommend both.

Will stay here again!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Eric, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay on the 7th floor R Club level at our hotel. Thank you for sharing how our team at the hotel and Desire Oyster Bar managed to meet your expectations. Please come back to see us!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is the second year that myself and a group of friends get together for the Red Dress Run in NOLA. For both years we rented a balcony suite and a block of rooms for a party for both the Friday and the Saturday night. The hotel and staff need to be commended on the FIRST CLASS job they did in making the event a success. Working with everyone was a pleasure and they were so easy to work with. The staff remember us by name from last year and took care of our every needs promptly and with a smile. Everything was set up as we discussed and the staff removed a lot of headaches from the event. The rooms were all well kept and clean. We look forward to the doing it again in 2013.

THANKS ROYAL SONESTA!!!!

Room Tip: I like the rooms that overlook the courtyard and pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bud, we are honored that your group chose the Royal Sonesta Hotel for the Red Dress Run celebrations. Thank you for recognizing our hardworking, hospitable team. We will gladly pass along your feedback to them. And we are thrilled that you’re already looking forward to returning next year and can’t wait until then!
Boynton Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed here over Veterans Day weekend as a girls weekend getaway. I've been to New Orleans, French Quarter several times in the last 5 years and always thought it would be cool to stay at the Royal Sonesta. I expected old world luxury, or at least a friendly and welcoming staff. Wrong. The doorman started the experience by not even acknowledging us as we arrived (walking a block down Bourbon since our cab had to stop there due to street closure for repairs). We opened the doors ourselves and proceeded to the registration desk. There was a line (no big deal, it happens) but when we got to the desk the clerk was wearing a uniform that was sloppy, and his attitude was not the southern warmth that I anticipated. He treated us like it was a bore that he had to check us in. We were in a good mood and upbeat, but he sucked the air out of that right away. We were not informed of any amenities, or given any information regarding the restaurants, bars, pool, etc., on property. I travel 75% of the time on business and pleasure and was sorely disappointed with the first 30 minutes at the Royal Sonesta.
Because you can't NOT have fun in the French Quarter, we enjoyed ourselves anyway! The hotel was in a great location of course, and we were able to walk around Bourbon, Royal, Decatur, Canal and afford ourselves of great food and atmosphere. The best dinner was at the Commander's Palace (cab ride away). I highly recommend it.
Back to the hotel. The rooms were okay, dated, but good enough. We had a shared balcony that overlooked the gardens. There was a wedding reception there over the weekend but they were not loud or boisterous.
The bar in the front of the hotel is a nice quiet place to have a cocktail away from the craziness on Bourbon and the mint juleps were very good - again the staff was not particularly happy to be there!
I actually don't know how they got such a surely doorman. I have stayed at several hotels in the area, Astor/Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, to mention two and the staff were always really nice and had that cool souther hospitality.
I don't recommend staying at the Royal Sonesta unless you really want a balcony overlooking Bourbon to throw beads from!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Comitis, we appreciate your taking the time to bring these issues to our attention and we are sorry for your experience. Please know that this is not our normal feedback on our doormen or front desk, and we do take your comments very seriously. Since you travel often and we’d like for you to consider staying with us again, our Management Team welcomes the opportunity to speak with you more about your experience. If you are open to this, please email kjolivette@sonesta.com. Thank you.

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!