“The best hotel in NOLA - period!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Select Package
Ranked #21 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Los Angeles, California, United States
“The best hotel in NOLA - period!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I am a person who knows deep down she was meant to have been born in the city of New Orleans, there is no place like it on this earth and the food, music, history, culture, etc....are just part of it. The biggest plus to NOLA is the people who live there, they are wonderful. I go to NOLA at minimum two times a year and the only hotel I will stay at is the wonderful Royal Sonesta Hotel. The hotel is just gorgeous, the rooms are great, the pool deck is the best in the city and is rocking during Jazz Fest! The location is prime and their staff is top notch. From the moment you arrive and their wonderful doormen (like Malcolm who always greets me with.... "My Queen is here"!) you feel like your in for an amazing experience. The bellman, the front desk staff, the concierge, all top notch! I've stayed in several other NOLA hotels years ago but once i discovered the Sonesta it was all over for me - - - I'm hooked! 6 stars in my opinion and worth the price!

Room Tip: I always ask to stay on the higher floors away from the Bourbon Street noise - I've been in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Colleen M, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Susie, reviews like yours are exactly what we strive for! Thank you for choosing to stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel every time you visit New Orleans. We greatly appreciate your recommendations and will share your compliments with our team, especially Malcolm. We’ll see you next time!

2,198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
  • Turkish first
Fitzgerald, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Highly recommend the R club level - the concierge desk outside the elevators was a nice touch - we received several excellent food recommendations from these nice folks.

Great location on Bourbon - on this level you cant hear any of the partying from Bourbon.

Ate a Desire twice - once for lunch and once for breakfast - highly recommend both.

Will stay here again!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Eric, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay on the 7th floor R Club level at our hotel. Thank you for sharing how our team at the hotel and Desire Oyster Bar managed to meet your expectations. Please come back to see us!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is the second year that myself and a group of friends get together for the Red Dress Run in NOLA. For both years we rented a balcony suite and a block of rooms for a party for both the Friday and the Saturday night. The hotel and staff need to be commended on the FIRST CLASS job they did in making the event a success. Working with everyone was a pleasure and they were so easy to work with. The staff remember us by name from last year and took care of our every needs promptly and with a smile. Everything was set up as we discussed and the staff removed a lot of headaches from the event. The rooms were all well kept and clean. We look forward to the doing it again in 2013.

THANKS ROYAL SONESTA!!!!

Room Tip: I like the rooms that overlook the courtyard and pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bud, we are honored that your group chose the Royal Sonesta Hotel for the Red Dress Run celebrations. Thank you for recognizing our hardworking, hospitable team. We will gladly pass along your feedback to them. And we are thrilled that you’re already looking forward to returning next year and can’t wait until then!
Boynton Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed here over Veterans Day weekend as a girls weekend getaway. I've been to New Orleans, French Quarter several times in the last 5 years and always thought it would be cool to stay at the Royal Sonesta. I expected old world luxury, or at least a friendly and welcoming staff. Wrong. The doorman started the experience by not even acknowledging us as we arrived (walking a block down Bourbon since our cab had to stop there due to street closure for repairs). We opened the doors ourselves and proceeded to the registration desk. There was a line (no big deal, it happens) but when we got to the desk the clerk was wearing a uniform that was sloppy, and his attitude was not the southern warmth that I anticipated. He treated us like it was a bore that he had to check us in. We were in a good mood and upbeat, but he sucked the air out of that right away. We were not informed of any amenities, or given any information regarding the restaurants, bars, pool, etc., on property. I travel 75% of the time on business and pleasure and was sorely disappointed with the first 30 minutes at the Royal Sonesta.
Because you can't NOT have fun in the French Quarter, we enjoyed ourselves anyway! The hotel was in a great location of course, and we were able to walk around Bourbon, Royal, Decatur, Canal and afford ourselves of great food and atmosphere. The best dinner was at the Commander's Palace (cab ride away). I highly recommend it.
Back to the hotel. The rooms were okay, dated, but good enough. We had a shared balcony that overlooked the gardens. There was a wedding reception there over the weekend but they were not loud or boisterous.
The bar in the front of the hotel is a nice quiet place to have a cocktail away from the craziness on Bourbon and the mint juleps were very good - again the staff was not particularly happy to be there!
I actually don't know how they got such a surely doorman. I have stayed at several hotels in the area, Astor/Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, to mention two and the staff were always really nice and had that cool souther hospitality.
I don't recommend staying at the Royal Sonesta unless you really want a balcony overlooking Bourbon to throw beads from!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Comitis, we appreciate your taking the time to bring these issues to our attention and we are sorry for your experience. Please know that this is not our normal feedback on our doormen or front desk, and we do take your comments very seriously. Since you travel often and we’d like for you to consider staying with us again, our Management Team welcomes the opportunity to speak with you more about your experience. If you are open to this, please email kjolivette@sonesta.com. Thank you.
Aberdeen, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in early November. We stayed in room 4129 which was on the forth floor, at the corner of Bienville Street at Bourbon Street. The noise levels were fine - no complaints. The room was large with a decent size and clean bathroom.

Minor complaint about the bathroom was that there is noisy plumbing throughout, so you knew when your neighbours were showering. There is a shower curtain instead of a screen, which I normally dislike as it tends to cling to you when in the shower but this one was weighted so stayed in place.

The Concierge, Milton, is very knowledgable and helpful, if you are looking for ideas, etc.

The Jazz Bar is very nice and relaxed and has some good bands.

Desire Oyster Bar is great for breakfast, very good service (especially Larry).

Also liked the security officer T the front door at night, ensuring that only residents could enter after a certain time. The hotel is right in the middle of Bourbon Street and well positioned for various activities, i.e. twenty minute walk to Superdome.

Would definitely stay again when in town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Oh man, this was an expensive hotel, and with that my husband and I were expecting a better experience than we received. Half of the issue we had with the hotel was its location - it's right on Bourbon. Next to strip clubs and daiquiri bars, it was STUPID loud. At EVERY hour of the day, 8am/pm, drunkards were yelling that "BOBBY WAS GOIN' TO GET THE BEER" and housekeeping knocked on doors.

The staff was not super friendly - perhaps because it was a holiday weekend - a specific incident was when I called the front desk about laundry and they sounded like I had said "alien cleaning" or something.

The bed was really bouncy, but the bedding was nice. The bar was pleasant and the restaurant for lunch and dinner was good, the staff great.

The business center only has PCs and I had a hard time printing business documents; it felt like the 90s...

Had my husband and I been up for a drunken, naked lady excursion, this hotel woulda been right up our alley.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was at the Royal Sonesta for a wedding, so we were in party mode. The hotel is situated right on Bourbon Street. I did request a room not facing Bourbon Street, and there was actually more noise from within the hotel than from outside. If you are noise sensitive, I would bring your "ear gear." I slept fine.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Couldn't have asked for better in that department.

I have two minor complaints:
1) The elevators are very slow.
2) it took forever to get drinks at the tables in the hotel's bar. After the server placed our order, we must have waited 30 minutes. Crazy -- and makes no business sense because we would have ordered a 2nd round by the time the 1st round arrived. When we went to pay, that took another forever because the only person you can pay is your server. So the hostess and the manager were there with nothing to do, but we were stuck having to wait for our busy server. Yikes. I can only recommend that management come to the Northeast and see how it's done.

Then again, it's the Big Easy -- so I'm sure some folks will tell me that if I'm in such a hurry I should stay up North. And they're probably right! :-)

If you want to be in the thick of it, on Bourbon Street, in the French Quarter, the Royal Sonesta is a great place to be.

Room Tip: Away from Bourbon Street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!