“Perfect hotel to capture the very essence of New Orleans!” 5 of 5 stars

Royal Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Perfect hotel to capture the very essence of New Orleans!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My friends and I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for the Essence Music Festival, and our experience was amazing! New Orleans is a second home to me, and I've attended Mardi Gras, JazzFest, and Essence, so I'm very familiar with the city. Out of all of my hotel stays in New Orleans, this one was the best! If you want the ultimate New Orleans experience (i.e., dining, shopping, fun, live music, etc.), this hotel will put you right in the heart of the French Quarters. You have the choice of staying in a room facing Bourbon Street or Bienville or facing the pool or courtyard. Our room (#2118) was facing a beautiful patio area, which worked to our advantage because our patio door opened to a semi-private patio w/ table & chairs allowing us to mix and mingle with other guests on the patio, so that was pretty cool. The beds were huge, the rooms were clean, nice flat screens...the decor is New Orleans themed, yet it's still very chic and up-to-date. The concierge, security guards, and bellmen were all very helpful. We dined at Desire (located on the first floor of the hotel which has DELICIOUS FOOD), and we also dined directly across from the hotel at Oceana (DELICIOUS FOOD AS WELL--open until the wee hours). Parking is approximately $40/day, however, you have no other choice because street parking is limited so factor parking into your budget if you have a car. I highly recommend this hotel. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. FYI-I didn't get paid to write this review...I just appreciate good quality and great customer service, and in a nutshell, Royal Sonesta delivers!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
DDGDDG, Manager at Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Thanks for staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel! Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, and Essence are some of the best and biggest events New Orleans has to offer, and we are delighted that you choose to spend your time during those events with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (853)
  • Turkish first
Kenner, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed here on a leisure trip in October 2006 with the school I taught at post-Katrina. The school treated us to some "down time" so that we can "de-stress" and get some needed R&R. I had a nice time except for the fact that a few people on staff there seemed to look down on me because I wore jeans, shorts, and tank tops while I was there unlike other guests who wore business attire. I felt that since my school paid the same price as everyone else there, regardless of what we wore, we should have been greeted politely and welcomed just the same. I was on a relaxation trip, so I didn't feel the need to "dress up." Perhaps I just met the wrong people there. Hopefully, the staff now is friendlier than the staff from a few years back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
We are so sorry to learn of your October 2006 experience. It certainly is not reflective of our normal guest comments. 2006 was a very hard year for us here in New Orleans. We were still training and replacing staff, still rebuilding the city, and dealing with post-Katrina challenges in general. We hope that you come see us soon to see our true, genuine service.
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

June 22nd thru July 1st , 2011
Disabilities come in all shapes and sizes. Most people think in terms of the well known and visible conditions, such as mobility issues, deafness, blindness… But there are many more little known conditions that are just as devastating for a normal life. Getting accommodations for these is often a tough and frustrating battle.
The Royal Senesta Hotel of New Orleans, and in particular, the Director of Guest Relations, Katherine Jolivette, took the opposite tack. Before we even arrived, they went above and beyond my expectations in trying to create a safe place for me. Upon our arrival Katherine personally met us in the lobby and took us up to a room that had been specially prepared, went over the steps they had taken and asked if there was anything MORE they could do. I travel quite a lot, and have never seen a hospitality staff this hands on and attentive to detail. She acted like I was the only person she needed to be concerned about, taking as much time as needed, and never made me feel rushed or like an inconvenience. I found out later in the evening that she was also coordinating three weddings that day!
Because my condition is relatively rare, I explained what I could about it and gave her a website where she could find out more, if she wanted. Usually when I do this, I imagine the person just tosses it as soon as I’m out of sight, however Katherine went to the site and actually read it through, asking me more questions about it next time she saw me.
I have a very severe allergy to a very common substance, Latex. This is so severe that the amount needed to cause an anaphylactic reaction is measured in micrograms. A microgram is 1,000th of a milligram, in case you were wondering. And anaphylaxis means, essentially, death measured in minutes without intervention. In my first twenty four hours in NOLA, I had already suffered three anaphylactic events. Fortunately, I carry a pharmacy of intervention medicines with me at all times or I wouldn’t be writing this.
Trying to find a hotel willing to accommodate this is a nightmare. In New Orleans, it is a Freddy Kruger level nightmare. At the Royal Senesta, the reservation desk took the time to check all the possible sources of contamination and reported back that the hotel food service and restaurants were clear, and that although the housekeeping staff normally uses latex gloves, they had appropriate alternatives for our room. They did this all before we actually made the reservation.
Reservation made, Katherine arranged for us to be in an upgraded room for the same price because it was isolated from the other hotel rooms where latex might be used. That in itself was pretty amazing. Then we found that the room had been stripped of anything that could possibly be related to my allergy, including things that I wasn’t actually allergic to. This perplexed me at first until I found out why. Somehow my instructions got garbled so that the things I said were ok were included in the list of things that would cause a reaction. Once we figured that out, it was easily fixed.
To my surprise, we were moved a couple days later to a newly available room with easy access to fresh air when needed to help relieve the asthma attacks I was having from multiple surprise encounters with latex in New Orleans. I never asked for the room change, she simply saw that I was having difficulty and made the necessary arrangements. She continued to check in with me, by phone and every time we passed in the hotel, to make sure things were going well.
I really can’t think of enough words to commend this kind of superlative service. In addition to my severe allergy issues, my husband is blind. He also had a wonderful customer experience. All the staff, from housekeeping, to the restaurant and food service, to the front desk and porters were friendly, cheerful, and always ready to help if needed. Of note, none of them over compensated in that annoying let-me-do-everything-for-you caretaking way that drives us who are disabled nuts.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone with special needs without hesitation. If you are clear about what you need, I have no doubt that Katherine and her staff will find a way to make things work for you.

Room Tip: Be specific about what you need.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Wow! It means so much to us that you did enjoy your stay because we strive to accommodate our guests to the best of our ability, especially those with special requests. Katherine will be pleased to read your praises! At the Royal Sonesta Hotel we focus on trying to provide the best stay possible to all of our guests.
Lake in the Hills, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Recently stayed at the Royal Sonesta in New Orleans for the second time in June 2011. Property and grounds are still beautiful, lobby is gorgeous and staff and service by and large outstanding. Was upgraded to a balcony room which was quite nice. Room was immaculate every day. Desire restaurant on site was beyond great in food and service. Room service was very efficient. Highly recomend the Cajun Encounters excursion, hotel can book it directly for you which is really convenient. Great restuarants all within walking distance which is quite nice. Never had a bad meal the entire time I was there. Irvin Mayfields Jazz Club (sp?) was hopping and had a great variety of music types playing each evening.

Now for the two issues. I was very crudely propositioned by one of the bartenders one evening in Le Booze the on site bar. Literally said outright "You are so hot, do you want to ***k?". I have encountered "flirty" bartenders and waiters in pretty much every hotel and resort I have ever been too, but never had anything even close to that happen. Second, the evening security staff are rude and oppressive. Even after showing my room key card they followed me back to my room. I fully appreciate and expect a safe environment but that was over the top. Perhaps they should consider a key swipe system similiar to what most cruise ships utilize. I asked the desk rep on duty to have the manager contact me to discuss these issues but never received a call. Neither issue ruined my trip but definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
We are so sorry to see your disappointment with your stay with the Royal Sonesta. The situations you described are certainly not our normal standards and are uncharacteristic of our staff. We try very hard to set our hotel apart with an experienced and caring staff as our reputation suggests. Jay, our Director of Hotel Operations, would like to speak with you regarding the experience. Please feel free to call him at 504-553-2222.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We found this hotel through trip advisor and picked it because it seemed to offer everything. And it did- there was a pool, jazz club, good restaurant, and the unbeatable fact that you could walk directly on bourbon. However, it was not made clear to us that we were charged 40$ a day in fees to use the garage. Self parking even. It was listed no where on the website, not told to us by any staff member, and we even had our parking ticket "validated" as soon as we got there so we had no reason to think it would cost. If it weren't for that surprise fee at check-out, which was almost as much as an extra nights stay, I wouldnt have a problem with rating higher.

• Stayed June 2011
Thank you for staying with us at the Royal Sonesta! We loved reading about your great time at Bourbon Street, the pool, the Playhouse, and Desire Oyster Bar. We apologize for the “surprise” parking charge at your check out and will encourage the front desk to relay parking instructions more clearly to our guests. Thank you for your review, and we forward to seeing you soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

If you heading to NO for a party this is as good a place as any to base yourself. It is in the thick of it, just step out of the hotel and you are in the middle of the nightly street party that is Bourbon St. The rooms are okay, the food is okay but provided you chave somewhere to eventually lay your head and then be refueled, who cares.

• Stayed June 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Royal Sonesta Hotel! We are so happy that your trip to New Orleans was exciting and fun, but upset to read that your experience at the hotel was only “okay.” We encourage you to come back and try Restaurant R’evolution, which we are eagerly awaiting its opening later this year. The menu will feature modern, imaginative reinterpretations of classic Cajun and Creole cuisine by chefs John Folse and Rick Tramonto. Hope to see you then!
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The rooms seem always different everytime we stay. Sometimes they've been updated, somestimes big, even studio setup, sometimes older and more of a "Eurosmall" setup. Nevertheless, the location and charm can't be beat, especially if you can get a good rate. Have fun!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for choosing to stay at the Royal Sonesta and sharing your experience with us! We are thrilled that you have continued to return to the Royal Sonesta when venturing to New Orleans and that you’ve enjoyed the change and uniqueness in each of your past visits. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Been to Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans? Share your experiences!