“Elegant, convenient, friendly.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mazarin

You added Hotel Mazarin to your Saves list
Hotel Mazarin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   730 Bienville St., New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% Off & Free Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mission, Texas
“Elegant, convenient, friendly.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Hotel is conveniently located between Bourbon and Royal Streets, within easy walking distance to French Quarter, Jackson Square, Mississippi River, Trolleys, etc. Did a lot of research before selecting this property and could not have been more pleased. Some posted comments about noise; obviously if you have a balcony on Bourbon Street, there will be noise. We stayed in a room overlooking the courtyard that was quiet and convenient. Elegantly appointed room, with very comfortable bed and linens. Helpful and friendly staff. Did not realized we would have a complimentary breakfast, and it was excellent.

Room Tip: Saw some reviews where people complained about noise. Obviously balconies on Boubon Street will be...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
Southampton, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

This is a "boutique style" hotel in the heart of New Orleans. We arrived early but our room was ready for us when we arrived. Rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated with a New Orleans feel. Beds were very comfortable. We did hear some noice from the room next door but nothing that disturbed our nights sleep.

Service was prompt and with a smile.

Breakfast was a good selection of hot and cold foods and drinks. Well cooked and plenty to keep us going. Sitting in the air conditioned courtyard on a lovely sunny morning was blissful.

I would definately stay here again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We were awoken at 6am by a work crew outside of our balcony room. Would of been great for the the front desk to mention this was going on and maybe a change of rooms could have been offered. The noise from bourbon street was a whole other issue, didn't get a minute of sleep. I see though earplugs are offered at the front desk, really? Thats the best you can do...

Now let's talk about the drink vouchers, these are handed to everyone when you check in so don't feel special. We get to the bar at 10pm only to be told that they are closing because nobody had come in in 3 hrs, haha really? I had to go to the front desk and get them to switch them out for the other bar at the hotel. Did they care? No. The other bar didn't have much to offer either.

Great hotel and place to stay but some work needs to be done all around.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsNOHC, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mazarin, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Hi Andrew B,

We are very sorry you had a less than stellar stay with us. We do understand that the hustle and bustle of Bourbon Street can get vivaciously loud at certain times, so that is why we offer ear plugs at the front desk. Additionally, if a different room was available a change could have certainly been made. As far as one of our bars closing early, we assure you that issue has been addressed. We do hope you will consider us on your next trip to New Orleans!
Newtown, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

It's taken me a long time to sort out my feelings about Hotel Mazarin. Booking was a headache. After booking a five night stay online, I was provided a confirmation number via email. A few weeks later, I decided to upgrade our room to a premium king. Calling the reservation number, they had no record of my original confirmation number. The agent booked me into a premium king and gave me a new reservation number. Imagine my surprise, when calling a third time, I was told that the confirmation number I was given bore no resemblance to the confirmation numbers they used. At that point, I got a manager on the line. The issue was sorted out but I was definitely worried that I'd arrive at the hotel and find that they had no record of my confirmation number.

In that third call, I had asked about in-room safes. We travel with a large amount of camera gear. The website said that in-room safes were installed but recent TripAdvisor reviews had said differently. I was told that the safes were not yet installed but that the front desk had a large one available for guest use, one that could hold a large box. When we arrived at the hotel and wanted to put some camera gear in the safe, the front desk said that they only had a small lock box for papers.

The room was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. It was not very functional, however. The bathroom has little space to put out your personal effects so you debate what you want to put on top of the toilet. The bedroom was sparcely furnished, unlike you now see in their website photos. It would have been nice to have a chair on the balcony as we spent much time out there watching the pedestrian traffic on nearby Bourbon Street.

The hotel staff needed much work. They were sometimes rude, always indifferent, and could not offer a restaurant suggestion.

To highlight their lack of training:
When I was ill one day, we had the privacy sign on the door. I had a high fever and couldn't leave the room. Housekeeping had attempted to clean our room several times. At two p.m., the maid banged down the door, yelling that she'd get into trouble if she didn't clean our room. My husband opened the door and explained how sick I was and that she could not clean the room. Upon hearing that from the maid, the housekeeping manager had the audacity to come back to our room, banged down the door a second time, and demanded that my husband confirm that I was sick. When we tried to talk to the general manager about this, we were told that he would be unavailable because he was getting ready for a wedding that was being held that day. Their deplorable behavior soured everything about the hotel.

I'm now headed back to New Orleans. I'm wooed by the beauty of Hotel Mazarin and hope that the hotel staff have been more educated, that the rooms are fully furnished as indicated on the website. I just don't know if it's worth the risk of spending the money only to receive terrible service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi NatalieExplores,

We are dismayed to learn about your less than stellar stay with us. We assure you that our team is customer service centric, and your upcoming stay with us will be nothing short of splendid. We now have in-room safes, so you won’t experience that inconvenience again. We have a concierge named Janet who would be more than happy to recommend restaurants, things to do and the like. She is located in the lobby and is very knowledgeable. We sincerely apologize for your experience last year, and we’re delighted you have decided to give us the chance to make it up to you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Prime location, great service, beautiful and clean hotel with free hot breakfast in the morning. Overall, awesome experience. Used trip advisor to find it and I agree wholeheartedly with the other reviews.

• Stayed August 2014
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I've stayed at Hotel Mazarin several times and each is like the first....The decor is awesome and the staff is magnificent.... Everyone is so helpful and friendly... I am a very picky person when it comes to choosing any service that I can't provide for myself and I don't worry when I choose this hotel.... I almost did not try it the first time because of some of the sourpuss reviews... Needless to say some people are just pessimist.... In my opinion it's a must stay.... Now if you're on business, a price or someone that can't understand what New Orleans is about don't stay here because it's close to all of the excitement... So location for the value is a great ratio.... The breakfast is the best "free" breakfast I've ever had and the hostesses are great people... I can't say enough great things about this place.... I haven't tried their bar but it appears tho have a great ambience.... The gym has great equipment in it, stocked with everything you need.. I really couldn't imagined staying anywhere else... Planning my next stay...

• Stayed August 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stayed in the Petite Suite. It was a great room but if it had been raining, we would have gotten wet getting to our room. You take elevator to 2nd floor and take the stairs up the room. The stairs are partially covered. Also, don't book this room if you are not comfortable walking up stairs. No elevator to the final walk to the room. There is only 1 Petite Suite.

Spacious sitting room with flat screen TV, large granite wet bar with small sink, pull out under counter ice maker/freezer and separate pull out refrigerator. Also small refrigerator in chest with safe. Small but comfortable bedroom with King bed, updated bathroom. Walk in shower which I prefer, no tub. The floors were marble and not carpet. A/C controls in both bedroom and sitting room and it worked great. No view from room but didn't matter since it is the French Quarter.

Our friends stayed in a Deluxe King room facing the courtyard which was a nice size. Separate vanity area with walk in shower.

Included in the price: breakfast buffet, one welcome cocktail, unlimited bottled water and internet included.Parking was $30 something per night but we would have easily spent that on breakfast.

The staff was attentive, courteous and friendly. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms opening to courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mazarin? Share your experiences!