“Amazing food and great service - Mayas” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mayas Restaurant & Bar
2027 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Maya's A Latin Amer Experience) (Lower Garden District)
504-309-3401
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #358 of 1,602 restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Caribbean, South American, Central American
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lower Garden District
Cross street: St. Andrew Avenue
Transit: New Orleans RTA - www.norta.com Bus Stop @ Magazine & Jackson St. Charles Streetcar Stop @ St. Andrew & St. Charles
Description: A fare of new and traditional dishes from the Latin American region with a taste of Asian and Middle East influence.
“Amazing food and great service - Mayas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I was lucky enough to be taken to Mayas for Mothers Day - I spend a lot of time in New Orleans but this was my first time to this restaurant - We got there promptly at 1 and our table was waiting for us with a reserved sign on it - booked it on Opentable.com - We went right in with no waiting and greeted warmly with service immediately - the place has old world charm - not too big but beautifully decorated - you could tell a lot of time was put into the ambiance - we got our first course within a few minutes and devoured it amongst the group - then our main courses came and we had both vegetarians and meat eaters and everyone was happy - I had a fish dish that tasted fresh and beautifully seasoned - the Mothers Day menu had plenty of choices and our whole group was happy with their meals - this is a good find with great food and great service - I will go back for dinner when I return in July -

• Visited May 2012

79% Recommend
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Nothing Wrong at all with this Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Great atmosphere. Great prices. Great food. Great service. There is nothing wrong at all with this place. An added plus: generous portion sizes.

• Visited May 2012
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
“Diverse and delicious menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I was working on a restoration project in the neighborhood, and ate lunch here with about ten other volunteers. I think they had just opened for lunch, so the place was pretty empty. It took them a few minutes to set up a table for our group, but they were happy to accommodate us. It is a great looking menu, with a diversity of latino dishes. I ordered the three course lunch special for $13.99. I started with the house salad. The balsamic vinegar dressing with crumbled blue cheese and the salsa-like chismole was fantastic - one of the best I've ever had. My entree was the lechon-roasted pork, served over black beans and rice. The pork was perfectly seasoned and very tender. My wife had the ropa vieja, a brisket stewed in tomato sauce, which was delicious as well. I was too full for the dessert, but ordered a piece of bread pudding with rum pecan sauce to go. Even though I heated it in the microwave the next day, it was very good (although not as good as the one at Muriel's). I'll ding the restaurant a point for service. Even though the place was not very busy, our server seemed overwhelmed. He was nice enough to split up the bill, but he didn't bring us our check with the rest of the gang. Then, when he did, it was the wrong one!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montclair, New Jersey
“Great Lunch Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stopped in Mayas for a quick lunch. The fish tacos are the best we've had anywhere. Everything was fresh and flavorful. A perfect casual lunch.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

I have two things. One, the food is amazing. Great drinks and location. This place deserves a much higher rating than what it has. I know a tad about this considering im a restaurant manager. I have spent many nights in this restaurant.

TWO...... The person below knows nothing about authentic. Im talking to you Ms. (or Mrs.) Castro. Many of my friends including my spouse are from Central America or surrounding area. What I have at this place is authentic as you will find unless my dear you are in Costa Rica. So, please, dont bash something you know not of CAUSE THIS IS THE REAL DEAL

• 4 of 5 stars Food