“Lovely hotel, great location” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Gravier St, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Covington, LA
“Lovely hotel, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I spent four nights at Windsor Court on vacation and loved every minute I was there. Three points that might have affected my experience: 1) I live in a suburb of New Orleans, so I did not need or use the concierge because I already knew my way around; 2) I stayed during the week, when there were fewer guests, possibly making it easier for me to get exemplary service; and 3) I found a terrific deal on the hotel's web site, getting a full suite for half the regular price, as well as a $50/night spending voucher that could be used for just about any of their services (spa, boutique, restaurants, etc.). The hotel was perfectly located for my plans, with museums, restaurants and lots of shopping all within easy walking distance. My suite was beautiful, with a full living room. a large separate bedroom, a large bay window and even a balcony. After my initial delighted surprise over how lovely my room was, I admit some skepticism set in - did they put me in one of their less stellar rooms since I was there on a discount? So I looked closely at EVERYTHING - and it was all perfect. Spotlessly clean; everything worked, from the Keurig coffee maker to the wireless internet; and no evidence of wear and tear. The only sign that it might not be one of their finest suites was the view from the balcony - neighboring rooftops, not the river. Still. attractive at night. And the room was so quiet that I didn't realize the city was tearing up a sidewalk outside until I opened the sliding door and walked out onto the balcony. A personal note: I prefer privacy when I travel. I don't want staff hovering over me every time I step out the door. So I appreciated the discretion of the Windsor Court staff - they responded immediately to my occasional requests, greeted me with a friendly hello when I passed through the lobby or encountered them in the hall/elevator, and pretty much let me do my own thing the rest of the time. Overall, I felt like I was staying in a luxury home with the benefit of exquisite service just by picking up the phone. Not to mention a praline on my nightstand every evening when I got home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear cjl200,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent visit to New Orleans and the Windsor Court. We are so happy to hear you not only enjoyed our amenities and furnishings, but our central location as well. We look forward to welcoming you back here with us for another memorable stay!

953 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel 7/14/12 for his Birthday. Our stay was nice the rooms are nice with older antique design. The atmosphere was very elegant. The location was wonderful next door to the casino and a few blocks from bourbon/canal- awesome.. we enjoyed our pedi-Cab driver which made our stay in the City more fun.

• Stayed July 2012
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Missbritt86,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience to our hotel this summer. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our furnishings and that our location was just right to take advantage of all the city has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another fun and memorable stay!
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I spent a long Labor Day weekend with my family at the Windsor Court, my second visit to this hotel in the last few years. Overall, we enjoyed the weekend but I have to agree with some of the other reviews that describe the Windsor Court as declining in elegance and cleanliness.
The lobby area is large and pretty, with flowers and a nice lobby bar European style lobby bar. The second floor has a nice bar and had live music every night we were there. The salt water swimming pool and spa are very nice (although the neighboring buildings cut the sun exposure to the pool area to 3-4 hours per day).
Our room was not what I expected. We had a junior suite that looked very tired, had marks on the carpeting and overall just felt a little dirty. The air conditioning vents in our suite were filthy, caked with dust that could have easily been removed. The lock to the front door was loose. And in the entire suite, the only mirror was the one over the sink in the bathroom (housekeeping did send us a small makeup mirror when I asked). Just not what I expected for the reputation and the rate we paid.
And speaking of the rate, I booked through their website. I ended up making and canceling our reservations 3 times as every time I went back online they had a different deal that was not posted previously (I saved several hundred dollars for the stay by canceling and rebooking).
We did have a lovely Sunday brunch on the second floor and the staff and management treated us very well.
I like this hotel. I hope they turn things around and get back to their former elegance and decor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WindsorCourtGM, General Manager at Windsor Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear TulaAtlanta,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent visit to New Orleans and the Windsor Court. We appreciate your patronage through the years and are sorry we did not live up to your expectations on this stay. The hotel is constantly assessing what we can do to improve our services and amenities and we take comments like yours very seriously. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team so that we can continue to improve our offerings. Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to provide you with that special experience you expect and deserve.
New Orleans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here for one night on September 1st for our anniversary. The WCH is the same place where we held our reception and housed many guests 5 years ago.

Front desk was below average. Where did the warm welcome go. Lady with black hair, short was the most unwelcoming person ever. Walked up without even receiving a welcome or hello but "last name please and credit card." Dont dare blame that rude mess on Hurricane Issac!

Reserved full club suite. Renovations were much needed and see the improvements;nice. Housekeeping upon check in (room cleanliness) was below avearge. Called front desk to report dirty bathroom and water would not drain from shower/tub combo and took forever to drain. Not resolved.

Wife went to spa for a few treatments and enjoyed.

Went to the club level for evening drinks, light food, etc before dinner reservations.

Prior to my arrival I was in contact multiple times with the concierege; specifically Kimberely. Arranged for a re-make of the wedding cake the WCH did for my wife at reception; emailed the pastry chef as asked and provided pictures. Well, this is where it failed but must praise Kimberely for making it happened; although very late.

I informed Kimberely that evening about the cake and what happened? She didn't really make excuses but jumped right on it and made it happen. Happened at 11pm but I guess better late than never. Something obvisouly went wrong with the pastry chef. Kudos did Kimberely for service recovery.

It's the samll details that I would hold accoountable towards the GM and even upper management to have their hand on the pulse. Knowing all customers but especially returning customers for special occasions. Especially one who has given businness in the past. Making sure that hotel staff do not drop the ball on such requests or attention to detail. This is where the WCH lacks and it shows...

All in all I like the room renovations but kind greetings, smiles (except for Kimberely), and attention to detail lacked. No "WOW" factor what so ever.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JeffS375,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience to the Windsor Court. I am very disappointed to hear we did not provide you with the perfect anniversary experience you were expecting and I apologize that we let you down. I will certainly follow up with all team members involved in your experience to ensure these occurrences are rectified for future guests. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to continue to welcome you here with us so that we can wow you on your next visit.
Clearwater
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed at Windsor Court for at least 20 years. Since Katrina its totally changed. Service used to be five star and very British with high tea, lobby bar, etc. It's now a big step down. Tired furnishings, marginally clean. Still has magnificent view of river if you ask for high room with river view. A little way from the quarter which makes it quieter. Not a bad place, just not what it used to be which is sad.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear SBTAMPABAY,

Thank you for posting your review on your recent experience at our hotel. I am disappointed to hear your stay did not live up to your expectations and I apologize for letting you down. We strive to provide the best in product and service and are constantly making improvements - your feedback is an important part of that process. The hotel still serves Afternoon Tea Thurs-Sun and has added the Cocktail Bar on the lobby level which has live music Wed-Sun, so I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back so that you can enjoy those venues and so that we can provide you with that special experience you expect and deserve. Thank you again for your feedback.
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I unfortunately only got to stay at the Windsor Court for a night, but it was absolutely incredible! I was there August 16th, 2012, and my boyfriend and I stayed in a junior suite. The location is perfect, and the room was wonderful. Everything was impeccably clean, the bed was super comfortable (as were the robes they provided!), and the room was incredibly spacious. However, what stood out the most to us was the absolutely wonderful service. Every single person we encountered was helpful, polite, and very friendly. I know where I'm staying any time I go back to New Orleans!

Room Tip: Try to request a room with a balcony and a river view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Janie O,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay to New Orleans and the Windsor Court.

I am happy to hear you had such an enjoyable stay and that our services and amenities exceeded your expectations. We are sorry you were not able to join us for longer, but hope that you are able to do so for your next stay.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed at the Windsor Court Hotel from August 16-19,2012. This hotel has a terrific location; it's within walking distance to many attractions. We stayed there instead of the Ritz for two reasons- they had a special called a Suite Deal and also because of the pool. Well both were good reasons as our suite was so large and elegant. It was layed out beautifully. The pool is also a rooftop pool, but really on the 5th floor, but it's a very nice little hideaway. I wanted to enjoy the spa there, but the city has so much to offer that I totally bypassed any spa treatments in favor of being a tourist. We used Celebrity Tours and did a city tour which was quite nice, our tour guide was kind and knowledgeable. It was a great overview of the city and got us very acquainted. We also lucked out and caught a pre-season Saints game at the Superdome with the help of the wonderful concierge manager, Jackie. The food in the hotel is fantastic!! The city is fantastic also, we enjoyed all we could as far as food goes, beignets at Cafe du Monde,, shrimp creole and gumbo at the Gumbo Shop, po-boys Johny's po-boys, pralines from Souther Confections, pink berry right near the hotel.....it just couldn't have been better. This city has lovely people that are so kind. The hotel is also right near Canal shops, a nice little stop when the rain came. It is hard to pick a hotel in NOLA for your first trip, as I was traveling with my teenage daughter and wanted to be safe, but I also was unsure as to whether or not to stay in the Quarter. This was a perfect choice at Windsor Court to be in a hidden oasis rather than in the thick of it, and certainly close enough to shoot right over. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the WC and would definitely stay here again. I understand the rates go up quite a bit but if you can visit when we did, it's a great bargain

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jodi S,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on our hotel. I am happy to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and your time in New Orleans. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and look forward to welcoming you back here again soon!

Been to Windsor Court Hotel? Share your experiences!