“Great Location, that's all.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

You added The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #93 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Great Location, that's all.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It's been said before, the location is ideal, the view from the 11th floor lobby very nice (no need to further comment on the 11th floor lobby), the staff for the most part quite pleasant.
Was there for an overnight conference. First time in New Orleans (which I'm now very anxious to get back to). Signage a bit weak throughout the hotel but staff all around to show you where to go. Checked in early afternoon and went upstairs to drop off luggage. View of the river (once you overlook the large parking lot) very nice. Room, though large, was very plain. Very pale gray, nothing on the walls, bare. Chipped paint, plaster and marble in the room and bathroom. Bathroom was almost clean (dirty mirrors). WiFi could not be made to work. Went back to the desk, mutiple attempts to fix and was put on the phone with corporate IT Dept. Said they would fix it. Back 4 hrs later, still unable to log on. Reconnected to Corp WiFi who said they would call me back as soon as it was fixed (still waiting a week later). Crawled into bed exhausted only to find mattress pad under sheet all wringled. Stripped and remade the bed myself.
As they say on late night TV: "But Wait, There's More!" In the morning went to conference and came back to room at 11:50 to get my bags to check out. Room key no longer worked. I called the front desk from a phone in the hallway and they said they'd send security right up. 12 minutes later I called again (It's weird standing alone in a hotel hallway for that long). So after the second call someone came up and let me in. He offered to go get me a new key but I said I was just trying to check out.
All in all, quite dissapointed. If this was a Holiday Inn, I might not have said much but I certainly expected a lot better from a Westin.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. But If you must I suppose a river view would compensate a bit.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I will start with the good. This property has the best location in New Orleans. Spectacular river and city views abound from all floors. It provides easy access to shopping(it is directly over One Canal Place), down the street from the Jax Brewery, a few blocks from Jackson Square and anywhere you want to go in the French Quarter. In fact, you will not have to move your car unless you choose to venture to the Garden District or Uptown. The hotel is clean as a whistle and neat as a pin. The staff is warm, helpful, and will go the extra mile to make your stay comfortable. The rooms are very large, with comfortable beds and linens, and the baths larger than most.
The negatives: We have been staying at this property since it was built, so we have seen several incarnations of decor. This most recent refurbishing has left this elegant property with absolutely no charm. The architecture of the hotel, with its burled maple, soaring lobby palladian windows, and travertine touches in the rooms, has been totally stripped of any redeeming detail. While I like contemporary style, this decoration is bare, bleak, and empty. The lobby is furnished with plain sofas and chairs, and pub-height tables and chairs that look like they came from an old cafeteria. The hallways have all the charm of a hospital, and the rooms not much better. They are stark to the point of being uncomfortable. The whole place looks unfinished.
In our bath, the sink faucet was loose, the toilet paper holder coming off the wall, and the tub faucet about to fall off.
To add insult to injury, there was no working fridge in the room. I was informed that the locked one in the room was not meant to be used. If you want one, you may have one for the low price of $20 a day. Having stayed here many times, imagine our shock when we arrived with a few perishables only to find this out.
It makes me so sad to see what has been done to this once-beautiful property. I know decor is highly subjective, but being an interior designer I enjoy a multitude of styles. This decor is not fit to the architecture, is not welcoming, or attractive in any way.
Will we stay here again? Yes, because of the location and staff, but will continue to hope for better in the way of style and maintenance.

Room Tip: Try for a river view on an upper floor-spectacular views! Do not get a room on the 12th floor close...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Oro Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Loved it here! Had the most beautiful view of the French Quarter and the waterfront from the lobby. Dante was the front desk agent that checked us in and we saw him every day of our trip - he was fabulous! Great advice on things to do, restaurants to try out, and places to go see. He was great and a pleasure to see each day. The hotel has a perfect location, can't wait until I can head back to NOLA and stay here again!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Brian A, Director of Sales at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Janina90,

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. It seems that our staff members, especially Dante were helpful and helped to make your stay most enjoyable. When you return, we'll find some better things to do away from the hotel so you don't pick another ghost tour (couldn't resist).
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Great hotel, located on the edge of the french quarter. Above a rather small shopping mall, and near to magazine street, and of course the many restaurants of the French Quarter. The hotel has comfortable bedding, is clean, with a rooftop pool which has an astounding view.

The food services are top notch for a hotel - obviously not as good as local restaurants but top of the hotel charts.

Importantly the staff are pleasant to deal with, well trained, and informed of the policies and procedures of starwood.

Other key positives of the property are the stunning river views, and proximity to street cars and outlet shopping down the street.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the river side if you can get it. The view is excellent.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Adam.

Thanks for taking time to share your experience at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place on TripAdvisor. We're particularly glad you enjoyed your interactions with our team members. They work hard to make our guests feel welcome and it seems they really influenced your overall impression of us. Please come back and stay with us again soon.
Winter Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

wow, i was impressed with this westin...the location was so scenic on the river and the staff very attentive and helpful..rooms were clean and spacious and the restaurant and bars "top shelf"...also right nest to the riverwalk and the Harrahs casino and street cars....

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the river and watch the large ships roll by
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian A, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, 3 days ago
We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Great tip, by the way. You really can't beat the river view rooms. We frequently hear from those who frequently visit New Orleans that our location is their favorite. It certainly seems that it worked for you. We're also glad that you enjoyed our newly-renovated Green Bar.

Please come back and stay with us again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Don one of the front door man was so very helpful in guiding us to find a great restaurants and other locations throughout New Orleans. I would come back to this hotel because of him and the other people who work in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2014
Brian A, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, 1 week ago
It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. Thanks for your positive feedback on Don and the rest of the staff. Saying you would return because of them is the best compliment you could give us. We feel that we have great people and it's nice when they are recognized by our guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I arrived in New Orleans originally booked at another highly rated Starwood property.

After one night I left the other property screaming and heading straight for the Westin. I was first greeted by the bellman who helped me with my bags up to the front desk. I am an aggressive business traveler and I am a platinum Starwood member. I know good service when I see it.

The front desk was kind and professional and quickly recognized my hotel status. I was upgraded to an excellent suite immediately.

I had the pleasure of meeting the Director of Operations, Kenny Jacques. In casual conversation I mentioned I had my wife coming for her 30th birthday for the weekend. Kenny personally assisted with arranging dinner reservations and a few other special touches that made for a fantastic birthday weekend.

The rooms were comfortable, the views of the Mississippi were amazing, and the staff was phenomenal.

I highly recommend the Westin New Orleans Canal Place.

• Stayed December 2014
Thanks for staying with us and for the review. We hope you'll make time to stay with us again soon during the upcoming festival season. We still have rooms available during Mardi Gras, French Quarter Festival, and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. I

Been to The Westin New Orleans Canal Place? Share your experiences!