“Average at best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westin New Orleans Canal Place

Save Saved
You added Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #89 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Cleveland, Ohio
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I'm split on this hotel. Pros: decent location (close to FQ and casino) great views from 11th floor lobby, helpful valet employees. Cons: the walls in the guest rooms were stark white and looked more like a hospital room than a hotel, I question the overall cleanliness of the hotel. In general, it's a forgettable hotel....much better options available!!

• Stayed October 2013

845 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had a large group taking up ten rooms. It was quite the chore to get folks checked in as they had some issues on their end with their reservation system. However, the staff came through in a pinch and we were thankful for that.

- Pretty exceptional area in NOLA - close to the convention center but also super close to French Quarter (the convention center hotels are a HIKE to the FQ)
- This property is WORN OUT..everything about it is in rather desperate need of repair: elevators, lobby, hallways, bathrooms, and the like
- Rates are average
- The poor condition of the property would have initially indicated a lower, but the service was good to the point that I have to say three...they bent over backwards to accommodate us and meet some unique requests

Clean yourself up, Westin New Orleans Canal Place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Five night stay in a Deluxe, King, Riverview room.

Things that aren't up to Westin expectations -- or pricing:

- at check-in we were highly encouraged to accept their Go Green program, which means you forego housekeeping and just hang up your used towels, etc. Problem is.....there are no towel bars in any of the rooms in this hotel. I thought maybe it was just our room, so I reported this to the front desk. The staff "acted shocked" and said they would send maintenance right up to add towel bars. No one every showed up. I started asking other guests each time I road the elevator if they had towel bars. No one had one.

- toilet runs constantly. Its as if it is automatically flushing every minute or so. Not sure how that is saving water -- a big part of the Go Green push.

- our room was full of ants. They were everywhere. Just those little sweet ants, but it was obvious that there was something in the carpet that attracted them.

- housekeeping never serviced our room before 5PM -- just when we were trying to get ready to go out...."knock, knock, housekeeping". Hotel seems grossly understaffed.

- housekeeping was often out of items, such as hand towels, by the time they reached us.

- no robes in rooms, although I saw some people with robes at the pool. I asked the front desk and again got that "oh so shocked" reply, but no robes ever showed up in our room.

- no acknowledgement of our Westin status at check in.

- slowest elevators in the world. Bad enough that you have to take one set to the 11th floor lobby and another set to your room, but they are both ungodly slow.

- plastic cups in the rooms.

- no signage to find the pool. At least the elevators should be labeled so that one knows which floor the pool is on.

- no service at the pool. How difficult would it be to serve some wine or beer at Happy Hour or cold drinks during the day? You can't even phone for service to the pool.

The hotel has a good location and sterling views. It just needs some TLC.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms are enjoyable.
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I tend to like the more classically designed hotels with some history to them when visiting New Orleans.But the Westin is just so darn comfortable and has so many comfortably amenities that I have reconsidered staying in historic hotels in the future. The bed was extraordinarily comfy, big rooms, divine linens and towels, very very clean, terrific location on the edge of the Quarter. My room overlooked the River. Just lovely all around.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel is great b/c it is extremely convenient. We had an enormous suite and yes, furnishing is sort of bland and generic but the view from the 27th floor was anything but. Simply huge and beautiful over the river with a corner view of the French Qrtr and over to Algiers. The lobby is on the 11th floor over an upscale mall with movie theaters as well. Very close to the convention center, casino and right at the edge of the French Qrtr. I have stayed at two of the other 5 stars but I prefer this specifically for the location. Others must as well. There were some very high end celebs there too. I found the management very helpful though I really struggled with internet. They were very apologetic. Also, NO is such a loud,all-night city that if you are going to be in the heart of the action it's great to be on a high floor. When I go back to NOLA, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: high floor/ river view
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I can't think of a better location on the edge of the French Quarter and if you're a shopper, Saks is accessible by elevator. We had a spectacular view from our room on the 20th floor. We had breakfast at the nearby Red Gravy one morning, (recommended by fellow TA reviewers) but were startled to find they didn't offer any fruit. It seems to be a carb heavy kind of food culture in NO. If you like a big, heavy brekkie to start the day, Red Gravy is great! For a similar cost to Red Gravy's Egg Pie or waffles, Westin had a nice continental buffet at tables beside a beautiful, bright view of the river and French Quarter which was more to our liking. For light sleepers, ear plugs solved the issue of the train whistles early in the morning. The convenience to the French Quarter offset the small concern about the train whistles which seemed to occur twice each early morning.
For anyone with foot or ankle problems, be sure to bring excellent walking shoes for the uneven and broken sidewalks we found everywhere. Treat yourself to a Pedicab. They charge by the block and are a great and easy way to get around. We took the card of one driver who needed only 10 min. lead time to find us once we called and they can reach places a car might find difficult especially when there's a street crowded with pedestrians. They are personable and knowledgeable unlike the NO cab drivers we encountered. Cab fare from the Westin to the airport is $33.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was the first time I had stayed at this particular Westin location, so I was looking forward to it. I had received a really good price on a two-night stay. However, there were several things that made my stay less than enjoyable. First, the parking fees were not explained properly to me; I was told on check-in that the cost is $18 for self park per day, or $36 valet park per day. The check-in clerk neglected to tell me that I would have to pay every time I went in and out of the self-park. So I had to time my coming and going the first day, so I wouldn't pay over $36 which is what I would have paid for the valet parking with unlimited going in and out. It did cause a major inconvenience. The second day there, I switched to valet parking. Sometime after the first night, we lost the ability to regulate the thermostat in the room. The display was just off. It had been working when we arrived but by 1 pm the next day, was no longer working. My husband called down to the desk to let them know, and they said they would send someone up to fix it. Needless to say, they did not, and we spent a very uncomfortable night, and there was no way to turn the system off. The bed was unbelievably uncomfortable, and I tossed and turned and awoke with a backache. There was no refrigerator in the room or microwave. We mysteriously got these bug bites as well. Overall, the room appeared clean and they did remember to make the room feather free as I had requested, so those are the positives. The location is across from Harrah's and the Aquarium, but is on the outskirts of the French Quarter, so I would not be as comfortable walking to and from the Quarter especially late at night. I don't know that I would stay there again as least not if I can help it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Matthew M, Public Relations Manager at Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us at Westin New Orleans. It sounds like we there were many opportunities where we did not deliver upon either of our expectations during your visit, but I can assure you that we will share this experience with our team to work to improve from it immediately. We apologize for the issues you experienced and appreciate your comments.

Matthew Mickal
Sales Manager

Been to Westin New Orleans Canal Place? Share your experiences!