“Soap Scum” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

You added The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #87 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
“Soap Scum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start with the fact that I have never taken the time to write a
review of anything online. My husband and I stayed here during July 4th weekend. I have nothing but great things to say about the front desk and bellman, they were amazing. The beds were super comfy and I adored the shower head.

My issue was first with the lack of eating options in a hotel itself. I expected a hotel of this caliber to have options for all meals. My second was the pool area with rotting wood rails and stained chaise cushions . I had planned an afternoon of poolside lounging but was turned off by the lackluster and dingy options. The third and final issue was with the housekeeping. We were at the hotel for 4 nights. Durning this time out sheets were never changed, and that is despite BBQ sauce on a pillowcase, our towels were sparingly replaced, and the bathroom was only wiped down not actually cleaned. The room was very clean upon check-in but as the days went by our bed was remade, hair was swept up, and the room
was possibly vacuumed at most.The soap buildup in the corner of the shower was noticeable day 2 and even more evident our last day. My husband and I aren't complainers but were annoyed at the thought of having to tell someone the bathrooms weren't cleaned so instead of calling to complain and excuses I cleaned it myself. Seems silly but we are of the mind laziness is a top down learned behavior.

We loved the location and the view of river was wonderful. We are planning another trip next year just not planning to stay there and discouraging our agent from using them also.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank kaydxn33

Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the hotel during the extremely busy July 4th weekend. Considering the volume of tourists in New Orleans at this time, I thought the hotel staff handled the volume well. As far as the location, it is what it is. All sides do not have the picturesque views of the river and the city, but we are talking about New Orleans. Yes, it was a little odd to register on the 11th floor, but there is a mall (with great shopping, I might add) and a parking deck below. I don't think drivers would want to park any higher than 10 floors!

I was more concerned about renovations after Hurricane Katrina. Fortunately, I did not smell any mold or musty odors. Yes, there was a small area of chipped paint above the shower, but not to the point where I was concerned about showering. The toilets flush very slow, but they do flush which is key for me. The beds looked very clean and I felt comfortable sleeping on them. I am not comfortable with the "green policy" when your stay is more than 3 nights but when we asked for fresh towels, they were quickly provided.

Overall, I liked the hotel. I felt safe and it was close to everything that I wanted to do. This Westin is the hotel for me and for the right price, I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for river view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Hotel is in a great location, literally inside the mall. The Casino is across the street and the river right in front of you. Since the Hotel is shared by the mall and offices you have to take elevators to get to the main lobby and the guest rooms (no biggie). The rooms are very comfy and big. We stayed in a Riverfront Room and the view was great. We can see the River Boats floating at different times during the day. Room Service was really quick, staff friendly and the rooms were very clean. Clean is important in New Orleans. New Orleans already has a smell, so after a long day you want to come back to a clean room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wichita Falls, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

A nice hotel, very close to lots of restaurants, shopping, and attractions! The staff was friendly and made sure that we had a room with a king (although we had to wait one day!) The view was great; parking was a bit of a pain ($18/day is steep.) The view from our room was great...we had a nice view of the Mississippi. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable, and noise level was fairly low. I'd have no problem bringing my family back to stay next time! We walked up to the pool on the roof, but every time we went up, it was packed. Also, the restaurants were full, but we didn't try them...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

There were a few problems with our reservations but they made good on them for the most part. However they sent our adult kids to the W for two nights and it was very unsatisfactory. The Westin did a good job in making up for the errors and we had a great stay at their hotel. Wonderful view and a a good location for walking around the town.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservations a few days prior and print out your confirmations.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Got a terrific deal on Priceline for the Westin, so all complaints are minor relative to the value. This hotel offers some of the great Westin features: nice views, great bed, double shower heads. However, the parking and elevator systems are cumbersome. There are three different elevators to negotiate in the Canal Place building, which can be confusing. Check in was easy and the lobby views are great. Carpet is worn around the hotel. TV channels were often fuzzy and some didn't work at all.

Overall, the value was terrific. The complaints would not keep us from returning, but our expectation based on other Westins (Chicago, San Diego) wasn't lived up to here.

• Stayed July 2013
St. Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great location, easy, safe walk to Canal Street and the French Quarter. The lobby on the 11th floor of this building is stunning. The lobby bar was great. Our bartender didn't seem like your standard drink slinger. She seemed like a real old-school pro and made a great Sazarac. Staff were really friendly. Our room on the 24th floor had an unparalleled view of the river and french quarter. Roof top pool was great. It closed a little early for my taste. Room was in whites, cool and refreshing after a hot day. It felt clean and modern. My only complaint is the quality of sleep. The walls seemed thin, large gap under the door allowed additional hallway noise. Worst of all, it is right by the railroad tracks and a train came through in the middle of the night blasting its horn. Would stay again but wear earplugs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple