“Good location could use an update” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

You added The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #94 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Winter Park, Florida
“Good location could use an update”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The location is great right on the Mississippi with rooms overlooking the river & French Quarter or facing downtown and Harrah's casino. It's sits on top of an upscale mall. It's right off of Canal Street close to everything. The rooms were clean and large. However, they could use an update, the carpet in the hallways are old, as are some of the elevators. Having said that I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Westin New Orleans. We're delighted that you had a nice visit and are currently updating or planning to update all of the areas you mentioned in the very near future. We look forward to your next visit!

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Clearly this place is well situated. The views from the windows should not be missed. The river is impressive there. This seems to be an old landmark type property and it sort of feels like it. I had higher expectations of Westin to be honest. It was more like a NOLA convention type hotel. It was very OK but nothing special besides the location.

There is a Starbucks in the connecting mall lobby and all of the city is within walking distance of the property. All the French Quarter to do's are right there. It's perfectly situated.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and for the feedback on your visit at Westin New Orleans. Our location and views are irresistible perks to many of our loyal guests for certain and I'm happy to hear that you took advantage of them. However, we are also working diligently on a daily basis to complete several enhancements to our property with our guest corridors, guest rooms, lobby, and more.

I hope to welcome you back to experience our improvements first hand on your next visit to New Orleans!

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel a year ago and found the staff exceptionally helpful. We made use of the integral car park which proved convenient.
To get maximum enjoyment, make sure you take one of the highest floors and request a view over the Mississippi river. If you're not lucky enough to get one, you can always sit by the rooftop pool and gaze down at all the sights - especially by night. It is within walking distance of the shops and also boat cruises along the river.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback on your visit last year at Westin New Orleans! We're delighted that you enjoyed the views of the Mississippi River and French Quarter from our roof top pool. The views are truly breathtaking to just about every guest that steps foot in our lobby.

We hope to see you again soon!

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The hotel location was good. It's inside a mall which was nice if you have to stroll baby around in nice a/c area because outside gets pretty humid and hot. Took us forever to check in because there was only one person working. Elevator wasnt bad. Once we got to our floor, the hallway paint and carpet is pretty outdated. Nothing like what you see on the main floor. Our door to the room it looked old and bang up. The bathroom was white and outdated. There was this sewage smell in the bathroom. What you would smell in old home. The bed and the room was nice. The view of river was nice.

I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed August 2012
Thanks for your feedback on your experience with us last August at Westin New Orleans. While I'm not certain what the issue described in your comments from last August may have been, I can assure you that over the past 9 months we have made multiple improvements to our property.

Each guest corridor has been redesigned in terms of its color scheme which involved repainting each corridor wall and guest room door. We have begun to add new carpet to our guest corridors and have just completed one floor recently. There are several other areas of the property that have been modernized since your last visit including our guest elevators, Westin Workout Fitness Studio, and more.

We believe you'll be pleasantly delighted to see the enhancements we've made on your next visit to New Orleans!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The staff is exceptional, but the hotel property is not as I remembered. The place is absolutely desperate for a make-over. Lobby furniture was so gross I hesitated to sit in it in my white slacks. The elevators were stained and worn out. Mismatched, stained furniture is not what I expect for $350 per night! Please, bring this back to the hotel I fondly remember!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us and for providing us with detailed feedback from your visit at Westin New Orleans. I assure you that we are working on several enhancements to address some of the items pointed out in your comments.

We currently have only 1 original elevator in service with our 5 others being the newest in the city. The last elevator should be completed with in a few days. Our lobby is scheduled to have a refresh in the coming months with new carpet and new furniture which will be designed to highlight our best feature which is our unmatched majestic view of the Mississippi River and French Quarter. We are also working to update all guest corridor carpet, as well as to enhance our guest bathrooms and more. We have already completed our new Westin Workout Fitness Studio which our guests are informing us as being an area that has truly uplifted their experience.

We hope to see you back on your next visit to New Orleans to see the improvements we are making on a daily basis!

Ottawa, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Originally had 2 night reservation here and 3 night reservation at Sheraton but was able to consolidate to 5 nights at the Westin for French Quarter Fest a few days before.

Checkin was good and was given a room with a view of the river and the festival stage.

Was given a small slip of paper for internet access and thought it was the free internet for Gold status. But I was kicked out twice that night and thought the wifi was a little flaky or busy so switched to the wired since I need to do a bit of work and kept getting kicked out. Called down and was told that the paper I was given was for the complementary internet access for all guest and that as Gold I can select paid internet and it would be taken off. Would have been nice to be told that when I checked in instead of wasting some time.

Overall good service and staff are friendly. Some slight wear and tear in a few places but location is convenient for the Festival and French Quarter.

The other slight issue I ran into is that in order to print 2-3 pages, I need to go to the business center which charges minimum 5.95 I think and .60 per page. Considering I have my own laptop and free internet access, I was a tad surprised by the high cost. The front desk took it off for me as gold but if you need to do work, the Sheraton where I stayed at Jazz Fest last year gives you 45 mins free internet access in stations and something like 5 pages for free a day and I think about 10 or 20 cents per page after that.

On the last day I went to notary archive to research something and it took a lot longer than I expected to get help to research something. Called around 4pm to see if I can pay for 6pm checkout instead of my 4pm checkout from status and was told if I do it would be a full day's charge. I would have paid a reasonable fee but not a full day for 2 hours extra and they were nice enough to extend it for a little bit so I can wrap up what I was doing i.e. wait for them to print something for me, grab and cab back to the hotel and throw the last few things into my bags and checkout.

I would definitely stay here for leisure trips but with the current business center policy, might need to think for work based trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thanks for the feedback on your recent Westin New Orleans experience! Your detailed comments on the areas that you saw as opportunities to improve are quite helpful and will be used immediately to grow our team for future guests. We truly hope to welcome you back soon to see the improvements we have made!

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Lovely view of the river from our 18th floor room. Clean, comfortable. Steep valet parking fee.
Two sets of elevators: one to lobby, second to rooms. Connected to small upscale mall that opens onto Canal St, across street from Harrah's Casino, and very close to Quarter. Like any mid or larger hotel in the city, some wee hour reveler noise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Westin New Orleans Canal Place? Share your experiences!