“Great Location & Wonderful Staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

You added The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #93 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
San Diego, California
“Great Location & Wonderful Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

What's not to like?! My wife and I have stayed here several times and love the location -- right on the Mississippi and in the heart of downtown just east of the French Quarter. The best part about the hotel is definitely the Excellent Staff! Sometimes I am impatient and would love things to move quicker, but the reality is that I know when I get to the counter we will get the same friendly, personable service the last guest got. With rooms starting on the 13th floor of a high-rise, each has a wonderful view of the city. It is hard to rate the restaurant or bar, as my wife and I always want to explore a new city. This is The Big Easy! Why would we go all the way to New Orleans and eat hotel food instead of venturing out for Cajun?! There is a pool on the roof but we did not use it. I would recommend this Hotel to others as a place to stay in New Orleans. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The higher the better! This is a great location, and you want as good a view as you can get.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to share such a great review with us. Positive feedback such as yours is our most powerful motivational tool in helping our associates to reach their potential. We are working extremely hard and are so excited to see that it is paying off based on your comments.

However, the work is not done - as we continue to make enhancements to our property on a daily basis in terms of service and in our physical product. We can't wait to hear what you think after your next visit!

Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Westin on Canal Place and I can't imagine being anywhere else! Besides being a BEAUTIFUL hotel, the location is excellent. It's close enough to walk to shopping on Royal street and Jackson Square, but far enough away to get a good night sleep. We had a great room that overlooked the river and the beds are very comfortable.

We stayed for Mardi Gras and were in the perfect spot to walk to the parades. The staff was friendly and helpful and was able to get us checked into our room early so that we could head down to Canal Street to catch some beads!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback on your recent visit with us! It was a great Mardi Gras carnival season again this year and we are so happy that you enjoyed our city. The 10 layers of supreme comfort in the WESTIN Heavenly Bed make it the perfect sanctuary after a day of parades and revelry. I hope you took some pictures of our spectacular views to remember your visit, but if not we hope to see you back again next year to do it all over again!

Rocklin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Westin in New Orleans on the Canal is a nice place. I think the best part was the staff! Everyone was very welcoming and nice. The check in was speedy. The person at check in was nice and when I realised I had chosen a room overlooking the city instead of the river, the young man quickly made the change so that my husband and I could look out over the river on the 12th floor. We arrived to our room and found it to be very clean and large. The bed and pillows were comfortable. I attempted to access the wifi from my room and had some trouble (apparently my name didn't match my room). When I called down to the front desk it was noted that I was actually booked on the 26th floor and not the 12th... I thought this was a great mistake because I was hoping for a higher floor. The front desk sent a bell man up to grab our bags and assist us with the move to the new room. The new room was exactly like the first room but higher... Great View!! We booked this room for Mardi Gras (the weekend before Fat Tuesday). During that time it is a huge party. We were lucky enough to be next to a room FULL of screeching women! Sometimes they were not at all quiet (even into the weeee hours when most should have been sleeping). We had to call security a few times from all of their noise but it wasn't too bad...This type of noise is most likely due to the Holliday Fun... And security quickly handled the situation. Other than that, we had a very restful sleep and it was a quiet hotel. The location of this Hotel is prime. Right in the heart of everything and near to the French Quarter. We walked everywhere and felt safe (not to mention there were police EVERYWHERE). There were many restaurants to choose from in this area as well as Bars. They have a Restaurant in the Hotel (VERY EXPENSIVE and not all that good), Also a Bar in the hotel (VERY EXPENSIVE). I would suggest venturing out into the town to taste the food and grab cocktails. There is a pool on the roof but we never got a chance to go up and see it. I would recommend this Hotel to others as a place to stay in New Orleans. You won't be disappointed. The best part about this Hotel is definitely the Excellent Staff! They deserve Cudos!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for choosing Westin New Orleans Canal Place over the numerous other hotel choices our city has to offer. We appreciated the opportunity to show off New Orleans and we are so happy that the rain held off for a few days to allow for another terrific Mardi Gras weekend. It was simply too much fun!

While I’m sure it was not a difficult task, it sounds like you found some great local restaurants to satisfy your taste buds. Our panoramic views of the Mississippi River and our proximity to an abundance of world class restaurants are two of the biggest draws to guests staying at Westin New Orleans Canal Place. However, the area that we like to emphasize more than any other is the personal service that our staff strives to provide, which I truly appreciate you sharing in your commentary.

We can’t wait to welcome you back again soon!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hotel staff were extremely friendly and courteous! Upon arrival, our upgraded room was not available - complimentary drinks at the bar were provided while we waited - front desk person arrives not 15 minutes later (in the bar!) with our keys, advising us that our room was ready and our luggage was taken up for us.
A call was made for extra robes - within 10 minutes they arrived
Little extras were provided without any hesitations.
Riverview room was impeccable.
Beds were comfy - housekeeping was thorough and friendly.
Concierge was extremely helpful and provided us with great suggestions!
Definitely would recommend this hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay with us and we will certainly inform our team of your compliments. It’s great to see all of our efforts result in memorable experiences for our guests. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to New Orleans!

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

If this were my first stay in a Westin, it would likely be my last. I'm Starwood Gold, so I know what to expect, this location didn't meet expectations. Stayed here over Christmas and hope they've fixed a lot of the problems.

First off the positive, great location nestled about halfway between River Walk and the French Quarter. It is also directly across the street from Harrahs if you're inclined to gamble. And the hotel sits on top of the Canal Place shops.

I could nitpick quite a few things with rooms, especially baths, that need some updating. I could also gripe about the fact that the restaurant was closed at 7:45PM when arriving tired, not really wanting to go out, but also not really wanting room service. But I'm going to focus on one thing....those elevators.

Regardless of how you enter the hotel, you have to ride two separate elevators to get to your room. If you arrive via taxi or valet a rental, the first elevator you are greeted with to get to the reception desk sounds like it is going to fall apart. But the fun is just beginning!

The second set of elevators are the ones going from the reception, bar and restaurant floor up to the rooms. I'm not sure how many were working, but I started clocking the wait time after noticing how consistently slow they were. Fastest time to get an elevator was 8 minutes, slowest was 22 minutes.

The 19 minute wait was on departure as everyone else was trying to check out, and because of the slow elevators, a couple passed by that were full of people and luggage filled on higher floors. We finally went up to come back down. Although I'm Starwood Gold, we weren't given a preferred floor up high. Had I known about the elevator situation in advance, I would've complained about that.

It appeared the elevators were in process of being renovated, maybe that's completed by now. But it's a sign of weak property management or bad budgeting to let them get into that shape and then try to work on them during busy holiday weekends.

We stayed at the Hilton Riverside just around the corner 10 days later and had a great stay, I would recommend it over this property if staying in New Orleans.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor, better chance of seeing an elevator car you can squeeze into.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay with us. We apologize that you had a disappointing experience, but appreciate you communicating this to us to help us improve.

Fortunately, our elevator situation has now dramatically improved as we are now utilizing 5 of 7 completely modernized elevators which are the newest in the city. The 6th elevator is nearly complete as well and once it is, we will begin working on the 7th and final elevator in our modernization project. To be completely honest, we had always felt the time frame of your visit would not have been affected, but unexpected delays occurred which resulted in not having two more new elevators completed at the time of your visit.

We are truly sorry and would appreciate you returning to see the improvements we have made on your next visit to New Orleans. Not only have we made improvements to our elevators, but we are working daily to improve guest service to deliver satisfaction to our guests. I believe you will notice the difference and hope to prove it to you!

Chanhassen, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel for business traveler. Nice views of river and great location! Hotel staff was great. Very elegant place to stay and close to the French quarter. Nice meeting spaces and good convention food.

• Stayed March 2012
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to send such great comments! New Orleans is truly a unique city with a vibe and culture that can only be described after experiencing it first hand. Although we have a one of a kind view, we certainly understand that there is an abundance of hotel choices out there. We are grateful that you chose us and delighted that we delivered or exceeded your expectations. We will be sure to share your compliments with our team and look forward to seeing you again soon!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip and due to my SPg status was upgraded to a suite. So I'm a little biased.

People who worked there were extremely helpful right from check in. The room was great with a view of the river and was extremely clean and big.

The location is a 3 minute walk from all of the restaurants and bars and bourbon street but you are far enough away from the noise that it is a welcome oasis.

Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed February 2013
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit with us. We will be sharing your encouraging words about the cleanliness of your room and the helpfulness of our front desk staff with our associates throughout the next week to further enforce how they are able positively to impact our guests stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Director of Hotel Operations

Been to The Westin New Orleans Canal Place? Share your experiences!