“Simply Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

Save Saved
You added The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #90 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Simply Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Bottom Line: Great 4+ star hotel right at the edge of the French Quarter, perched atop a mall and right on Canal Street. Phenomenal lobby area on with a massive window view of the Mississippi and French Quarter. Comfortable spacious suites and terrific service.

I stayed at the Westin for a business conference. Driving in from the airport, be aware that the Westin sits atop a parking garage and mall, and the drive-up entrance is at the rear of the building (from Canal Place), which can be a little confusing for tourists. Parking is in the garage itself (and not cheap, but convenient).

Westin's service is impressive. My stay had been extended by a day, and I knew it was booked solid. When I presented my request to extend a day along with my (barely used) bonus points card, I was immediately upgraded to a suite and told the extra day posed no problem - and at the conference group rate. Talk about locking in my future business! The concierge was also terrific. When I asked her for a map and recommendations for oyster restaurants, she gave me three, along with background and history of each and drew directions for me. And those recommendations were spot on.

The suite room was enormous, facing out over the modern city. Wifi, very comfortable bed and bedding, and a large bathroom with a standshower and huge vanity. I believe I received a renovated room - they had signs up about it - everything was super modern and fresh.

No complaints here and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
We are so excited to share your feedback with our team and the specific comments about our concierge staff. They will be delighted to know that they were able to impact your visit in our unique city. Thanks for noticing the improvements we've been making and we can't wait to see you again soon!

922 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Westin was the right place for us to stay in New Orleans.

At checkin, we were upgraded to a riverview room just by asking. And the view was wonderful --the boats on the river, the late afternoon storms brewing from the gulf and a romantic morning, sunlit view of the French Quarter. The hotel is located right beside the French Quarter -- a peaceful retreat but easy to walk to for dinner. A river front park is just across a parking lot for walking the dogs. Room service food is good and not badly priced. Various reviews mention the elevator problems -- we did not have much in the way of problems during our stay and they are being worked. on. Many thanks,also, for the doorman who made an eighty year old women feel like sixty.

In short, we receommend the Westin as your hotel in New Orleans!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
We're really appreciate your nice comments and are delighted that you had such a great stay with us! As you mentioned, our elevators are being worked on and we've made some great progress in just recently completing 5 of our 7 elevators in our modernization project. The views are what we are known for, but we really enjoy hearing about our friendly and personalize service which I will certainly share with our doormen. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Beloit, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I recently stayed at the Canal Place New Orleans Westin for 5 days. I will start by saying its location is perfect. It is just outside the French quarter, so everything is within walking distance but its just far enough to be able to get away from the craziness. It is also right on the river, so the views are amazing with a nice overview of the French Quarter.

The Staff of the hotel is excellent. They are what I would expect at every Westin brand hotel. Every person I encountered was pleasant and helpful.

Now the Hotel structure itself. The entrance is either through a mall entrance or from a side street. After taking a set of elevators to the 11th floor you reach the lobby. The rooms are only accessed by a SEPARATE set of elevators that do not connect to the outside world, you have to stop at the lobby and change elevators to either exit to the mall, or exit to the side street. Makes it kind of a pain in the butt. Also the elevators are run down, with torn carpet and look like they were built in the 1960's.

Next the Rooms. I was put in a deluxe king suite facing the river. The room view was gorgeous, unfortunately, the room looked like it hadn't been updated in the last 20 years. The TV is a very small LCD, and the furniture looked like it was run down. Even the bathroom tiles were dingy and looked old. To expand on the bathroom more, the toilet barely flushed, and the water kept running. So much to the point, two separate handymen came to fix it, and both temporarily fixed it until the next time I flushed, the water would just keep running. Even the shower handle was so loose it was about to fall off. After two days of the water running, they finally gave up and moved me to another room. Funny thing is the new room toilet wasn't any better. It would keep running for about an hour after I flushed and finally make a weird noise then finally stop.

These are things I don't expect to see when I'm paying over $200/night for a Westin Brand hotel. I've always come to expect Westin to have a modern fresh look, this hotel did not meet those expectations.

Overall, I believe this hotel is in need of serious renovations. One perk was that if you choose not to have your room cleaned, you get a $5 voucher for the restaurant or 500 Starwood points. Not a bad deal.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor room that faces the river. Also there are corner rooms that I heard are nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
We appreciate your nice comments about our associates and also the details of where you would like to see us improve! We're working on much of what you stated in our ongoing property revitalization one small step at a time, which is paying dividends in the form of positive feedback from our guests in the areas that we've already updated. While it may not be ideal to have a lobby on the 11th floor, the perk of having the best views in the city for our guest while they check in or sip on a refreshing cocktail in our spacious lounge areas is the trade off that we hope you had the opportunity to appreciate. The other benefit for our guests is that it provides a more tranquil environment in comparison to other New Orleans properties that get the Mardi Gras or festival foot traffic through their lobbies to use restrooms or asking for assistance from the concierge. While we’re happy to have guest or non-guest visit our lobby or our Green Bar, it’s a nice comfort for many guests to be 11 floors above whatever festival or party might be happening down below. We've just completed 5 of the 7 elevators you mentioned which gives us the most modern elevators in our city and are looking forward to further updates in other areas of our property such as our guest rooms, guest corridors, and more. We can’t wait for you to experience our additional improvements in the coming months. Thanks again for staying with us!

texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Was there for 4 days and loved the location to the Warehouse District and the Quarter. Views from lobby and our room were absolutely stunning. This hotel only needs to be renovated...looks worn and dated.

1. Elevator problems are being worked on and we incurred only one
incident that was not Westin's fault. Overall, elevators were very
were prompt.

2. Room was spacious with great beds/linen. It needed a chair or two to
fill in the empty space by window to enjoy the great view.

3. Our room had a mini bar but not working. Front desk did not offer
to replace it...just said "none were available and that we could
get ice on the floor". Really! Needless to say, we did not use it.

4. Bathroom was nicely appointed but the tub had bad mold in grout
lines. This was very disturbing when taking a bath. Nasty!

This could be great hotel if only updated. I don't think I would stay there again. Too many nicer hotels around but that view is a "Wow".

Room Tip: Get a higher floor with riverview
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond! We appreciate the feedback you've provided and I can assure you we are working diligently on every issue you described. As you mentioned, we've been working on our elevators and have actually just completed 5 of our 7 elevators which has already resulted in dramatic improvements over the past few weeks. Just before the Super Bowl, we also completed our new Westin Workout facility which is the perfect place to burn off some of those calories that you are sure to gain while visiting our Green Bar or any of the world class restaurants just outside of our front door. We look forward to welcoming you back as we continue to evolve with our upcoming enhancements to our guest rooms, guest corridors, lobby, and more. Thanks again!

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at lots of Westins in my day and this one just isn't up to their normal standard. Staff is very good but there aren't enough of them. The location and views of the city are great! But the public spaces and rooms are pretty worn. Elevators are being replaced now which is good because they are pretty shabby for a Westin. That said, my room was quiet, the bed was comfortable, and it had a safe, tv with lots of options, and was well equipped. Unfortunately, all of the furniture, carpet and wallpaper looked rather beaten down, kinda dirty. I would give this hotel a rating of 3 to 3.5 stars provided the room rate doesn't exceed $185/night. If more than than that, I would stay elsewhere until the renovations are complete. Hopefully, they'll make the investment as the bones are there for 4+ star property.

• Stayed January 2013
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We welcome all feedback from our guests - good and not so good. Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience and I can assure you that we are working extremely hard on everything you have mentioned. Our guest rooms, guest corridors, lobby, and more are all being improved on a daily basis with our hotel having a completely revitalized product by this time next year. We have also just completed our modernization 5 of our 7 guest elevators and also our Westin Workout facility, which is now something that our guests are absolutely raving about.

I'll be sure to share the kind comments about our staff which they always appreciate to hear. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Very close to trolly, french market and casino! Only complaint was that there were two full size beds and not queens. Would think with the prices they get they could spring for two queens but of well, we didnt sleep much anyway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to respond! We are happy to hear that you had a great experience with us and enjoyed our amazing city. Our location and views are the best in New Orleans, as you are truly just a few steps away from whatever your interest may be.

The determination for us in going with two double beds rather than two queen beds was to provide a more spacious room for our guests. We receive great comments about the size of our rooms with one king bed, two double beds, and our suites - but I can completely understand your preference. On your next visit, you may prefer a room with one king bed and one of our heavenly rollaway beds or possibly an entry level suite such as the Bienville suite with a heavenly rollaway bed. Please give us a call prior to your next reservation in order to ensure we are providing the most convenient and comfortable experience possible. Thanks again!

huntsville, alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

First off, I believe that the staff and employees at this particular Westin were outstanding and were always available with a smile to help me out. That being said, the elevators were awful and the hotel really needs an update. Many of the chairs in the lobby sitting area were thread bare and the 1990s carpet was in need of sore replacing. I was also disappointed with the gym but I understand it is due to be updated. Overall, I had a positive experience at this Westin, but I do believe management needs to take very seriously all of us business travelers who have recommended an upgrade as there are a whole hell of a lot of nice hotels in New Orleans in the Westin's price range. Last thought, this hotel is in an excellent location to enjoy the French Quarter and all it offers. No spa?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kenneth J, Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
We are disappointed that you had a less then perfect experience with us, but want you to know that we are currently working on all of the concerns you have mentioned! Our elevator modernization project became closer to full completion last week when our 4th and 5th of 7 elevators were completed. Over the past week, our guest are no longer noticing our elevators which is our goal. While our lobby does have the best view of the Mississippi river and French Quarter in the world, the furniture and carpet are indeed starting to show their age. However, we've taken feedback such as yours to heart and are scheduled to revitalize this area in the coming months. In terms of the Westin Workout facility, it was just completed and has become a great source of guest satisfaction. There's nothing like it in the city. We also have built a massage room adjacent to the Westin Workout facility where our guest can reserve a full compliment of massage services through our concierge desk with just 24 hours notice. We are sorry you just missed out on experiencing a few of these just completed enhancements, but we are extremely confident that your next visit will be well worth the wait as we continue to evolve each and every day.

Director of Hotel Operations

Been to The Westin New Orleans Canal Place? Share your experiences!