“Elevators” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

Save Saved
You added The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #90 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Providence, RI
“Elevators”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I really feel like I am doing my fellow travelers a favor by informing them of the major problem with this place: Elevators. Seriously, if the structure was a simply four-story thing, I would have considered combining going out and coming in with a workout, by simply using the stairs.

Unfortunately, this is a massive structure and we were on the 28th floor. And basically, the elevators don't work. Yes, I understand that they're working on it. However reading the other reviews, it really sounds like this problem has been systemic to this hotel for quite some time now. We were there for new years, and there were literally hundreds of people staying at the Westin and using 4 elevators, two of which did not work while a third would simply stop at random floors, for no apparent reason other than being willed by its own capricious and erratic mind.

So, basically, bottom-line is sometimes you have two wait up to 15 minutes to get out and people were jockeying and shoving each other for the privilege of getting ahead of the constant lines waiting for the elevators. Not good. Plus, added to that, the hotel starts on the 11th floor. Floors 1 to 10 are dedicated to a mall and a parking lot. So after you've lost a few hours of your life waiting for a lift, you then have to take another elevator (these ones are much faster, thankfully) to reach the ground.

Other than that, the hotel itself is fine. Sure, it's a little dusty and the maid service unpredictable, but I don't really care about that. Feeling the same sort of dread as living on a sixth floor walk-up in New York City really got to me.

So here is my advice: If you're a smoker and need to nip out for a puff every hour or so, stay somewhere else. This will drive you crazy. If you have elevator anxiety, the constant creaking and cracking and temperamental behavior will make you nuts. At the very least, demand to stay on floor 12 or 13 so you can use the stairs. I am absolutely prepared to stay here again, but only if these maddening elevators are fixed.

Room Tip: Lowest possible floor so you can use the stairs! This is a must.

906 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Kingwood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We ended up at this hotel, via a prepaid website, for part of the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve; and it was well worth what we paid. I would not currently recommend paying full price. The parking garage takes up the 1st ten floors so the lobby is on the 11th. Everything else rises above the lobby. With the view of the Mississippi, that should be amazing, and it would be if the elevators weren't run by very slow gnomes. There are only 4 elevators going up from the lobby to the 18 floors above, and one was not working during our entire visit. The elevator gnomes have 2 speeds: slow and slower. Every so often they let the elevators pass your floor over and over for up to 10 minutes before they stop. I think they intentionally stopped on the floors above and below us just so we could hear the elevators passing us by. My wife and I wondered why the hotel hadn't set up daiquiri vending machines in the hallways so we could spend the time waiting for the elevator.

Then there was the construction. Every morning, probably about 9, someone started whacking on the wall, or maybe inside the elevator shaft, with a hammer. He was careful not to be rhythmic in case we got used to it, and regularly changed hammers to vary the tone and depth of the din.

BUT, the view of the Mississippi cannot be beat! Ask for a high floor facing the river. The room was overall very quiet. Other than the hammer, we heard nothing from outside our room except for passersby in the hallway. The amenities were good. The hot water was plenty hot. All was clean. The cold water pressure was a little soft in the mornings, but not really a problem. The staff was courteous and professional. Not terribly warm, but no complaints. They probably had a hard time being courteous and professional with the elevator and construction problems.

If you can get a deal from prepaid site and you're not in a hurry when you get to New Orleans, this Westin is worth the price. If they ever get the elevator problem remedied it will be a great hotel with a great view. Avoid it if you're traveling for business because the elevators will add about 15 minutes to the time it takes just to get to street level.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have great views but the elevators run like they're being dragged through thick LA...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I am on the first night of a 3 night stay I booked here at the Westin New Orleans. I am a Platinum member of SPG. I travel ALL over the US and stay frequently in Westin Hotels. I can tell you that I have never stayed in such a dirty and dilapidated Westin. WTF?? I know New Orleans isn't known to be the cleanest of cities, but I really expected more from Starwood. How do they let one of their properties deteriorate to this. Starwood should change the name of this place to Sheraton. If you have stayed in a Sheraton lately, then you know what I mean.
So here are the first things that I have noticed so far: 1) The elevators are really slow and messed up, and the carpet on floor and in elevators are really dirty like a cargo elevator. 2) valet parking is $42 a day. I think it was cheaper in San Francisco. 3) the smell of sewer gas in the hall when you are walking off the elevator to your room. 4) only 1 wash cloth and 1 bar of soap in my bathroom. 5) tiny tv in room 6) work out room was in a meeting room and had very little equipment and no mirrors on the wall.
The people were really nice when I checked in. I feel sorry for the nice people who work here because I am sure that everyone that stays here constantly complains about everything to them.
The hotel is in a good location if you are going to the French quarter.
Overall, I would never stay here at this Westin again. I was really confident that this was going to be like all the other Westin Hotels that I have stayed in, but sadly it isn't.
Very poor quality hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our first visit to NOLA and after much research we decided on the Westin. We loved the location. Very convenient. We parked our car when we arrived and didn't get back in the car until we left NOLA 4 days later! The hotel was clean, friendly, safe, and very enjoyable. The elevators are in the midst of being replaced so they were very slow. We waited as long as 20 minutes (on the 29th floor) at one point.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the river and really enjoyed seeing the boats come and go!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

A group of friends and I booked rooms in this hotel based on its location as well as the reputation and our past experiences at Westin hotels. Other than its great location and views, this location did not deliver. Here's why:

-Lobby is on the 11th floor so you have to take an elevator from the street level to the lobby then take another set of elevators up to guest rooms. Wait time for elevators was long. It was not unusual for it to take 10 minutes for one. They had staff working on them every day we were there.
-Furniture in the rooms and lobby is stained and dirty
-They are currently doing construction on the hotel. Every morning of our 4 nights there, someone started using power tools before 8 a.m. right next to our room.
-Hot water actually ran out during showers not just for my husband and I, but our friends on the last day of our stay.

Overall, not what we expected out of a Westin.

Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Loved the location and the views from room and lobby overlooking the Mississippi River. Rooftop pool area was really nice too (didn't swim since we stayed here in December). Rooms were nice and spacious and they had nice comfy bedding. One complaint is the odd configuration of the hotel. Lobby is on the 11th floor so you have to take an elevator from parking structure or ground entrance to the lobby then take another set of elevators up to the guest rooms. Only other comment is that the rooms could use some sound proofing around the doors, when other guests where in the hallway it sounded like they were in our room, fortunately we had so much fun in NOLA that we were too tired to care.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Woodstock, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We chose the Westin despite its $270 per day price, because of the brand and the hotel's location near the French Quarter and Riverwalk. The hotel actually begins on the 11th floor. We were impressed by its sweeping views of the French Quarter and the Mississippi River. Unfortunately, most of the chairs and sofas in the lobby were heavily stained and clearly had never been cleaned. A coffee table had a broken leg than nearly collapsed on my friend's foot. The room was no cleaner. Everything looked dirty, shopworn and in sore need of replacement. The hotel also had grossly inadequate elevator service which meant the people left coffee cups, soda cans, etc. lying around during the wait for the elevator which often exceeded 10 minutes! Service in the bar and dining room was fine, despite a waitress dropping TWO trays of dishes and knocking over a room divider. The concierge was friendly and helpful. No complaints at all about the staff, but the place was inexcusably dirty.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel if cleanliness matters.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Westin New Orleans Canal Place? Share your experiences!