We ended up at this hotel, via a prepaid website, for part of the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve; and it was well worth what we paid. I would not currently recommend paying full price. The parking garage takes up the 1st ten floors so the lobby is on the 11th. Everything else rises above the lobby. With the view of the Mississippi, that should be amazing, and it would be if the elevators weren't run by very slow gnomes. There are only 4 elevators going up from the lobby to the 18 floors above, and one was not working during our entire visit. The elevator gnomes have 2 speeds: slow and slower. Every so often they let the elevators pass your floor over and over for up to 10 minutes before they stop. I think they intentionally stopped on the floors above and below us just so we could hear the elevators passing us by. My wife and I wondered why the hotel hadn't set up daiquiri vending machines in the hallways so we could spend the time waiting for the elevator.
Then there was the construction. Every morning, probably about 9, someone started whacking on the wall, or maybe inside the elevator shaft, with a hammer. He was careful not to be rhythmic in case we got used to it, and regularly changed hammers to vary the tone and depth of the din.
BUT, the view of the Mississippi cannot be beat! Ask for a high floor facing the river. The room was overall very quiet. Other than the hammer, we heard nothing from outside our room except for passersby in the hallway. The amenities were good. The hot water was plenty hot. All was clean. The cold water pressure was a little soft in the mornings, but not really a problem. The staff was courteous and professional. Not terribly warm, but no complaints. They probably had a hard time being courteous and professional with the elevator and construction problems.
If you can get a deal from prepaid site and you're not in a hurry when you get to New Orleans, this Westin is worth the price. If they ever get the elevator problem remedied it will be a great hotel with a great view. Avoid it if you're traveling for business because the elevators will add about 15 minutes to the time it takes just to get to street level.
- Also Known As:
- Westin New Orleans Canal Place Hotel
- Westin New Orleans Canal Place Hotel New Orleans
- Westin New Orleans
- New Orleans Westin
- Westin Canal Place
- Westin Hotel New Orleans
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin New Orleans Canal Place is downtown just steps from the French Quarter, the Convention Center, Jackson Square, and the central business district. Offering a rooftop pool and free wifi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Amex, Hotels.com, Starwood, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, getaroom.com, Venere, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Westin New Orleans Canal Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.