“Comfortable stay with great views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

Save Saved
You added The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #90 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Madison, Mississippi
“Comfortable stay with great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our room was on the 28th floor and the views were amazing. The room was large with great amenities, and the bed was extremely comfortable. It would have been nice if internet/wifi were complimentary. The lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The hotel staff were friendly. The location is perfect for visiting the French Quarter. Parking is very expensive in the city and the daily self parking rate at the Westin is $18....no in-out privileges. You have to pay for valet service if you want that. The hotel is currently undergoing some elevator renovations, but we were not too inconvenienced by this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinCanalPlace, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your recent stay at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. The views from many angles of the hotel are breathtaking, and we're glad you agree. We're also glad you enjoyed a relaxing nights sleep in the signature, Westin Heavenly Bed. Thank you for your compliments on our festive decorations. In addition, we appreciate your understanding of the updates currently underway. The modernization of our elevators will truly enhance the overall guest experience and we can't wait for your next visit!

924 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a room with river views on the 16th floor on a Friday and Saturday night in late November/early December. After waiting over 10 minutes for an elevator we finally got up to our floor only to step off to a very odd smell. At first I thought it was cigarette smoke but I honestly couldn't tell you what it was. Once inside our room, we were greeted with yet another odd smell. The room was a bit warm and muggy so we dropped our bags and the thermostat then headed out to dinner. Again, we had a very long wait for the elevators. When we returned to our room later that evening, we found it a bit cooler but still muggy and with an odd (but not horrible) smell.
On our first night, we were woken up by a dog barking in a nearby room, an alarm that had been set by a previous guest that hadn't been turned off and several slamming doors. If you are a light sleeper the train and ship horns will likely wake you up as well.

After going out for most of the day Saturday we returned to find that we still had not had maid service at 4:00. Since we were hoping to relax a bit before dinner, we asked the maid to change out the towels instead of servicing the room when she finally knocked on our door.

Our second night of sleep was a bit better but it did get warm in the room. By the time we were checking out on Sunday, the room was so muggy that the receipts we had in the room were damp and my hair was frizzy. We tried to call down to the valet so we could have our car pulled around only to realize that neither phone in the room was working.

Pluses: Location, views, staff we encountered were friendly
Minuses: The room never did get cold...or even cool. The phone didn't work. Carpets in the hallways were dirty. Elevators were slow.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your recent stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed the stunning view and our friendly staff but do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. We are currently undergoing and elevator modernization project which will drastically improve their speed and consistency. While we are making great progress, we're sorry for the delays. We are also replacing the carpets as well as undergoing other projects which will enhance the overall experience in the hotel. Additionally, I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with the thermostat. We have notified our engineering team and they are doing all they can to to fix this problem.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Miami, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I read most of the recent reviews indicating that this hotel has some issues, but still stayed here due to a phenomenal rate of $95 (hotels.com).

To cut to the chase, all these "average" reviews can't be wrong and there are definitely reasons why this hotel ranks relatively low. It's technically a 4-star hotel in a city with few 4-star hotels, but still it is not even in the top 50 on TripAdvisor for New Orleans. Conclusion: The reviewers, in the aggregate, are spot on!

My take on this hotel is as follows:

COMMON SPACES:
- I don't think the elevators are as slow as many people have noted. We never waited more than a minute for an elevator to arrive and it wasn't slow once it moved.
- There is indeed the inconvenience of having to take two sets of elevators. Due to construction it appears that they are allowing guests to use the freight elevator and I believe that is the elevator that some reviewers are referring to as rough around the edges and rickety.
- The hotel is nicely decorated for the holidays.
- The common areas appeared clean to me. While the carpets weren't new I didn't think they looked worn down either.
- The location is good but there are tens of hotels in this area, so the location doesn't make up for the various shortcomings.
- Staff was nice and competent, except for one hiccup (noted below)

ROOM
Bathroom:
- This is where things get a little off-putting.
- There was no towel rack anywhere in the bathroom! Even low-rated hotels have a dime-store towel rack. This was very unusual and inconveniencing. Every time we used a towel, we had not choice but to leave it on top of the small sink vanity. Highly unusual, unkempt and gross. I don't consider a towel rack as an optional feature.
- Not even in the shower was there a towel rack
- There was one sole hook on the back of the bathroom door but this is good for one towel at best and who would use this for a hand towel?
- The hinges on the door were rusted out.
- The bath towels were left on a bench below the sink (not a towel rack, rather a bench) and they were touching the drain assembly of the sink.
- There was NO ventilation fan so everything fogged up and the room stayed muggy and musty for hours after a shower.
- Every time a room nearby (I assume) flushed their toilet, ours ran for a few minutes as well - and loudly to boot. This can get annoying in the middle of the night.
- The hair dryer was old, the assembly was peeling away, in sum was simply disgusting to use.
- The lighting in the bathroom had only one option/one switch and was blindingly bright.
- We were lacking some bathroom amenities (soap) and despite stopping by the front desk to ask, we still had to call twice and wait 40 minutes for them to be delivered. This was in the morning, mind you, not at some unusual hour.
- There is a good deal of outside noise: train horns, ferry horns, etc. If you are a light sleeper, these will wake you up (or keep you up late at night).

All this, and we had a DELUXE king room. On that note, when I checked in, reception offered to upgrade me -- to the room type I reserved and paid for in the first place. While I appreciated the gesture, I politely noted to him that the room he was supposedly upgrading me to was the type I had paid for. He said he couldn't see what I paid, but I have to think my reservation indicated that I paid for a deluxe King. No harm no foul, but I couldn't help but smirk internally at the "upgrade".

Bedding
- This, to me, is the only plus that Westin offers: the comfortable bed

I have to concur with the general sentiment that this hotel is lacking in many respects. For the price I paid, I still felt I got a great deal but since New Orleans has many similarly situated hotels in the area and price range, I would definitely stay elsewhere if I was paying the "going rate". The weird quirks (no towel racks in the bathroom, no ventilation fan) were just too unusual to overlook and, literally and figuratively, dampened the experience at this hotel.

Construction or no construction, I have a really hard time believing this is a 4-star hotel. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback and details. Thank you for your compliments on our festive decorations and for your understanding on our elevator modernization project. In addition, we're glad you felt well-rested in our signature Heavenly Bed. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the conditions in your bathroom. Your detailed outline of nuances is extremely important to us as we work to correct these issues.

We appreciate your patience during this time of progress and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Crowley, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

the westin canal place is very overated. The carpets in the halls and in the rooms are very dirty and need changing. There is a horrible smell when you get off the elevators. The elevators are a maze to get on. You have to get on and go to 11th floor then change to get on another one to go to the rooms. We had to take the stairs when we checked out because the elevators were so slow. Even thou you get a good price it is not worth it. This hotel need a entire upgrade.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at our hotel. Our loyal guests feedback is so important to us that we are taking it into consideration as we undergo improvements. Not only are we modernizing the elevators which will increase their speed and consistency, but we are updating all carpets and refreshing our spacious, well-appointed lobby. While we do apologize for the delays you experienced, we do appreciate your understanding and patience during this time of progress.

Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

McComb, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel was great! Very helpful valet named Don! He was great! The views from the rooftop were the best! The roof also has a heated pool, that was awesome. The bed were top knotch. Everything about this hotel was tops, from the front desk to the shower heads. I may never stay in another hotel in NOLA again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your compliments on our staff at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. We're thrilled you enjoyed your experience with us, especially the Heavenly Bed and Bath, our heated rooftop pool and the service.

We can't wait to welcome you again on your next visit to New Orleans.

Warmest regards,

San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have stayed at the Westin nearly every time I visit the Big Easy. I went with a girlfriend in October for the Chargers/Saints game and stayed for 4 nights. How disappointing this trip was most particularly the game score (Chargers lost) but also the condition of the Westin The room which always has a nice view, had worn and dirty furniture (I even took pictures), not all the bath products stocked and unplugged lamps that the cords were impossible to even find to reconnect. We also had no robes or slippers. On the last day of our stay we came back in the afternoon to get ready for dinner to find a letter on our desk stating that the health department had issued a warning that we could not drink the water or even SHOWER for 24 hours or until futher notice! It went on to say that the hotel had water available in bottles if we needed any. But why had they not let any in our room at that point? We had to trek down to the lobby and wait with others in a rationing line to get 2 bottles = small ones. Even though the water issue was not the hotel's fault, one would have thought at nearly $250 per night that we would have been treated better or that thought would have been given to how to better compensate the guests.

The Westin was also hit with the last hurricane and lost rooms and windows so the lobby and other areas smelled of paint and who knows what else. I think we should have received an email from the hotelin advance letting us know of the damage and the problems it would cause to deteremine whether we wanted to stay or not but we did not.

Starwood needs to make a big investment in upgrading the Westin in NOLA - it is still a great location but we won't be back until we hear things are back in order.

Room Tip: The higher the better with a river view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your continued loyalty to the Westin brand and we apologize immensely for your recent disappointment. To begin, we apologize that the health department warning occurred during your stay. In instances like this, we do all we can to lessen your inconveniences and provide our guests with the essentials. Moving forward, we will certainly take your concerns into consideration. Secondly, we appreciate your business in the wake of recent Hurricane Isaac. While we did experience the brunt of the storm, we were able to remain open and work through the circumstances. As a result, we are currently updating and improving many areas of the hotel including new carpets, refreshing the spacious, well-appointed lobby and modernizing the elevators. We appreciate your understanding and patience and invite you to consider staying with us again on your next visit to New Orleans.

Warmest regards,

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

This Westin is a very clean and comfortable facilities. I do disagree with the other reviews where the place has out-of-date rooms. I used one of my suite night upgrades and was able to be upgrades to very spacious suite that had French doors to the bed and an amazing view of the Mississippi.

I will add this Westin does lack some amenities and service seen at other Westin properties. 1) my suite did not come stocked with water (free or for sale) and there was no regular sugar in the coffee tray, 2) there were no towel racks in the shower room (so I had to walk out to the bathroom out-cove), 3) the elevators are the slowest and the most dinged up cars I have ever seen, and 4) during check-in the front-desk actually gave me a room that was already occupied.

I don't mean to be nit-picky, but these are noticeable things that may cause drama to high maintenance individuals. I found all of these things minor, except for the elevator issue. This was an issue since I was in NO for a local wedding, a group was there for the color run, and couple were there for a wedding. There's a third party parking across of the entrance so car logistics are great, but having to use 2 elevators to get from room to ground any bottlenecks can delays and nuisances.

I would recommend this hotel for any circumstance. The location is prime for shopping, close to the ferry and port, far enough from Bourbon, yet close enough for the antique shops of the French Quarter.

• Stayed November 2012
WestinCanalPlace, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your suite upgrade and the views of the river. Please accept my apologies for some of the experiences you encountered; inconsistencies with room amenities and the delays with the elevators. I have notified our Housekeeping department of your comments and we are working toward a heightened attention to detail to ensure our guests satisfaction. Additionally, we are undergoing an elevator modernization project which will drastically improve their speed and consistency. We appreciate your patience during this time of progress.

Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

David Rosenberg

Been to The Westin New Orleans Canal Place? Share your experiences!