“Great location and room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

You added The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #95 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Mapua, New Zealand
“Great location and room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We enjoyed our 3 nights here. We had a deluxe room with a view of the MIssissippi river. Our room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. The location is perfect for exploring New Orleans. There is a long wait for lifts but that was not really an issue. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinCanalPlace, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
I am very glad you enjoyed your 3 night stay at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. The spacious, deluxe guest rooms truly offer the best views of the mighty Mississippi. We look forward to your next visit with us; our city and river await you!

David Rosenberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Jackson, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a meeting last week in New Orleans at the Westin Canal Place so we stayed there. Room was nice with a great view of the River. Great comfortable bed. Coffee maker in room was a great plus. The view from the 11th floor lobby is spectacular. Meeting facilities were excellent. Food offerings for meeting were good and well-presented. It is so convenient to Canal Place shopping center...just ride the elevator down to the shops. It is a great location on the Quarter side of Canal St...give it a try!

Room Tip: Ask for a River view...it's worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I'm glad you enjoyed your recent meeting at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. Thank you for your compliments on our meeting facilities, food and guest rooms. We're glad you were able to soak in the stunning view of the river and unwind after your meeting.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I brought my nine year old daughter with me to a business conference at this hotel. On our last day I got up before she did and decided to go get some coffee while she slept. She woke up while I was gone, got scared and called the front desk. They immediately called my cell and I rushed back to the room. Knowing she had been upset they wanted to make her more comfortable. They called to say they were bringing her a care package. It consisted of mardis gras beads, a mardis gras feather boa, and a beautiful ceramic mask. That was really above and beyond. They didn't have to do that. The service was generally excellent throughout. We used the restaurant, concierge, bell service and room service. Everyone was prompt, helpful and friendly to both me and my daughter. Importantly, the location of the hotel was tough to beat, just a few short blocks from the French Quarter. Lovely view of the river from our room. Downsides: there was no spa, the business center was sparse (printer/copier was not good for larger copy jobs if you want to make handouts for your lecture) and the elevator set-up was a bit weird where you have to change elevators to get to your room. Our room and bathroom were average at best for a hotel of that caliber. The price was reasonable for the location and quality. Bed was comfy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your compliments on our associates at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. We're glad we were able to make your daughter more comfortable and welcome and provide her with some essential New Orleans souvenirs! We're also happy to hear you found our location to be convenient to the French Quarter, with sweeping views of the mighty Mississippi.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit!

florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

After parking our car in the handy garage, we took the elevator up to the 11th floor lobby with gorgeous view. The front desk clerk Josh was friendly and helpful and checked us in quickly. We'd gotten a great price on hotwire, so we didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised by a big riverview room with huge windows, overlooking the French Quarter. The bathroom was big and bright with nice toiletries, everything very clean and freshly painted, and the king size bed wonderful. We had mentioned we were celebrating our 50th anniversary, and when we returned to our room, there was an ice bucket with a bottle of champagne, two glasses, and a card from the staff. This has never happened to us before - a very pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Ask for riverview.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to celebrate your 50th anniversary. We are thrilled you enjoyed your over-sized, river view room, Heavenly Bath amenities and our champagne gift to you! I will pass your compliments on to our front office agent, Josh as well as our entire staff.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

You have a casino (Harrah's) across the street, movie theater and high end mall right under the hotel, convenient parking, few blocks away from Bourbon St, French Quarter, nice view of the river. It's a perfect spot to explore New Orleans main attractions.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
I am thrilled that you found The Westin New Orleans Canal Place the perfect spot to explore New Orleans' main attractions. We agree that our hotel is perfectly situated to take advantage of so many nearby sights. We can't wait to welcome you again on your next visit.

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Without question, the Westin offers the best view of the water and a fantastic location; however, this all came at a great expense. We booked the hotel on Expedia weeks in advance of our trip at a cost of almost $400 per night (with tax), three days before the trip, the cost of the hotel was $199. We asked for hotel to honor it's price guarantee, but were told that because we booked through expedia they would not honor it nor would they upgrade our room. After some arguing, we were finally offered a river view rather than the view the roof of the building. Finally, we had to request that our room be cleaned after our first night there. Perhaps I am out of line, but I expect more for $400 in New Orleans.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the location and view of our property. I am very sorry about the discrepancy with the rates but glad you received one of our stunning, river view rooms. I also apologize for the delay in housekeeping service. I will certainly bring your concerns to the attention of the appropriate departments.

Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Houston, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had nephews visiting from the UK, all over 21. Livinng in Houston the drive to New Orleans is not too bad. So we booked two rooms. In one was my Nephews and my older son, in the other was my 9 year old son and my 14 year old nephew. We reached early enough that we could all visit the French Quarter ad have lunch. We headed back too the Hotel so I could stay with the younger ones and the older kids could get ready to really have some fun on Bourbon St. About 10.00pm the older boys headed out, I followed them ,one to get them to Pat O Briens and two, to pick Crytsal Hamburgers for the other two. I returned shortly before midnight with the food. The room looked fine, it seemed the boys were watching TV and playing video games. We started eating. Within 20 mins there was a "hard "knock on the door. I answered to an employee claiming to part of security. He said there was excessive noise coming from our room. He also said he had already been up earlier. no worries I will take care of it, however I had been here for a while and we were all just eating and watching a movie. He then said that we will be evicted! Again I told him i had it and there was no noise! He then stuck his foot in the door and again threatened us with eviction. So in not so pleasant way I told him to leave and pushed the door shut. We go to sleep. about TWO hours later there is the loudest thumping on our door screaming New Orleans PD !! I open the door, two very large officers come storming in and tell us we are evicted. I am Aghast. I have a 9 year old and a 14 year old, where am I supposed to go 2.00am in the morning ? I pleaded with both the officers and the security officer but there was nothing I could do. My poor kids are being pulled out of bed and told to pack their bags. I made a comment that I HAD stayed at hotels all over the world and had never seen or heard of and eviction. Let me say again the room was in almost made up condition aside from the bed.
The officers then found that amusing and started mocking us to a point my son began to cry. I was then pulled aside and told if I did not move faster I would be arrested. My concern was finding a hotel 3.00am in the morning. We left ended up on canal street amongst the homeless, and drunks. I called Houston woke my wife up who convinced a Hilton Hotel to open their reservation system and take us for $500.00.

I still had the other room for the older boys who arrived at the same time we left. Fortunately they still kept the room.

The experience was so traumatic for my 9 year old he still thinks about it.

About myself...I have spent the last thirty years in the hospitatlity business. I own and operate seven hamburger restaturants that are one of the " big three" chains in the world. I am a graduate of the Hilton N Conrad college of hotel and restaurant management and also have an endownment that provides 2 scholarships a semester. My wife is a medical doctor, who goes to work 5.00am every morning to help drug addicts try and put their life back together.
It took over a week for my wife to get hold of the General manager.. they did refund our money, so what we did not stay their, they gave us some points on our SPG... but not once did they apologize, give any legitimate reason for what they did. They threw a 9 year old out on to canal street without any care of where he would spend the night. I even said them at least find me a hotel that would take us in. Again we have travelled the world, I have worked in hotels and never have I seen an eviction, even when a fight broke out amongst guests. The police arrived 2 hours after the last time security came up, at which point it could have been left alone. These three men enjoyed their powertrip of asking us to leave.

I have discussed this incident with very seasoned hoteliers and the the Hotel school in Houston and they are all confused.
My wife and I are still disgusted by this whole incident and I even get sick to my stomach when i think of this whole episode.

I did go back and forth and whether to write about it....My wife uses trip advisor as bible when we travel.. so this is our story. No remorse no apology, since then we have stayed at other Starwood properties but have not redeemed our points. I reallyu do not know how this hotel could make us feel better... maybe a call from the security officer to my kids apologizing ?

Just terrible, shameful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Westin New Orleans Canal Place? Share your experiences!