“Good stay, great location amazing views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New Orleans Canal Place

Save Saved
You added The Westin New Orleans Canal Place to your Saves list
The Westin New Orleans Canal Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Rue Iberville, New Orleans, LA 70130-1106 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #88 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Cleveland, Ohio
“Good stay, great location amazing views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We were upgraded to an 800 sq ft suite on the 28th floor with a river view. Amazing views and the room was excellent. The hotel was in a great location and the staff was very friendly. It was easily walkable to the French Quarter, Casino or any of the trains. Hotel room was clean and nicely updated. I would recommend staying here to anyone especially if you have a view of the river.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
WestinCanalPlace, Public Relations Manager at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your suite upgrade at The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. We agree that the views from our hotel are amazing. Thank you so much for your compliments on our staff and we anticipate welcoming you again in the future.

909 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed here in May 2012 for a weekend for a bachelorette party. On previous stays in New Orleans I stayed at the Loews and the Roosevelt (which were fantastic), but I've stayed at Westins before and thought I knew what to expect. Alas, I was a little underwhelmed. It was a nice place- the staff was nice, the lobby is grand, our room had great river views, and the location is very central to the french quarter, but I feel like there is more they could do with the property. My main gripe was the pool. The rooftop pool could be amazing, but it's not. It's just ok. Just from looking around, it looks like that pool is the highest in the entire city which provides 100% sun (you can see some hotel's pools only get partial sun because they aren't as high) and amazing views of the city and river. This should be a huge selling point yet its barely mentioned on the website. The pool area was clean and there were enough towels but there is not enough seating and forget about it if you want to get drinks. Westin- put a little tiki bar up there!!! Or, at least make it easier to order food/drinks. I saw a girl come around once the entire time we were there. We ended up going to a nearby liquor store and bringing up our own stuff. I would think that the hotel is missing out on major revenue there. That pool area could be the crown jewel atop that building but instead its just very "blah". Bummer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with river views!
Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing our hotel to enjoy a bachelorette party weekend. We are glad you were able to visit our rooftop pool yet apologize that it did not meet your expectations. We hope you enjoyed the view from above the 29th floor and we will use your feedback to make your suggested improvements. Thank you for your concerns and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed here just this past weekend. The staff are somewhat helpful but they still didn't understand the wishes of my other party. The hotel badly needs maintenance. We left the lights on by the bed because the other light didn't work, and a couple hours later started to smell like burning plastic....real good fire hazzard. The toilet never worked, the elevators took forever and sounded like they were going to die soon... def not up to par with the starwood or any westin standards. good location but that's about all. having to take the elevator to the 11th floor and then again to your room floor is quite annoying too. Also don't order breakfast because the sheet said $14 for waffles. but got charged $18.95. real nice.

Room Tip: any room not by the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am very sorry to hear about some of the conditions and service issues you experienced. We aim to anticipate and fulfill our guests needs and admit that we did not do so in your case. Please accept our most sincere apologies and we will do everything we can do ensure a more relaxing and rejuvenating in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed at the Westin at Canal Place over the Memorial Day weekend. I had previously stayed here two or three years ago and was able to notice a difference.

I had a great view of the river and the quarter. This is a quiet hotel on the edge of the quarter and is directly across from the casino. You have to take two different banks of elevators, which are slow, just to get to your room. The rooms have aged some since the las visit in terms of fixtures and trim. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. The carpeting was good compared to other places in the quarter. The hotel offers wireless internet for an expensive fee.

Room Tip: Get a riverview room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your Memorial Day weekend. We're glad you enjoyed the location and views as well as the Heavenly bed. We are preparing to undergo a modernization project that will improve our elevator service. We appreciate your patience and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in May 2012 and chose this hotel for the proximity to the river, the views, the pool and the airco. Unfortunately internet is NOT free at this hotel!
The hotel was clean, calm and a delight to come home to after the revels of the French Quarter.
We inadvertantly hung the "environmently friendly" hanger on the door at 09.30 am (although it said to do this before 02.00 am) and the room was not serviced at all that day. We didn't do that again!
The bathroom door- handle was wobbly and the cupboard door- handle came off in my hand. Some of the lifts doors were very slow (we were on 23rd floor) but all in all we would definitely go there again. The crazy doorman was sometimes a little overpowering (in a fun way) but apparently the New Orleans attitude is "anything goes"!
We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to those who want to experience New Orleans without being kept awake all night by traffic and noise from the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view and as high as possible. 23rd or 24th floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed the location and proximity to many attractions of New Orleans. We are happy to hear you found your room to be clean and calm; a relaxing escape after your time in the French Quarter.

We look forward to having you back in the future.

Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for Mardi Gras in 2011 and it just never lived up to the Westin name.
Rooms were dated, elevators are slow. I would only give it a 3 star rating. Too bad since most Westins are not like this one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Please accept our apologies for some of the conditions you experienced during your stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us. We are currently preparing to undergo a modernization project that will drastically improve the speed and comfort of our elevators.

Thank you for your patience and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel recently while in NOLA. I was so impressed by the condition of the property as well as the friendliness of the staff.

I was checked in by Ranata, who could not have been more welcoming. As she was going through the arrival check list I was receiving text messages from a friend with a list of “must go” restaurants. Ranata asked which ones he was recommending and gave me enthusiastic feedback regarding them, then stepped over to the concierge desk and marked them all on the map for me so I could work them in to my trip. I found her to be genuinely warm and friendly. I kept that map with me the entire trip and her directions were accurate.

Don on bell staff arrived with my bag as we were wrapping up. I told him not to worry about taking it up as I could take it from there. He replied with a very friendly “not in my house”. He walked me through the lobby, pointing out and describing the restaurant (127 feet high) and the lounge. I was obviously travel weary and he offered me a drink, which I gladly accepted a coke. He was so engaging the entire tour and ride to the room, with little stories of New Orleans and details of the hotel. When we arrived at the room, he opened the drapes and explained the significance of the bend in the river (crescent city) and pointed out the French Quarter.

My room had an amazing view of the French Quarter, and the Mississippi River. All the sights were easily accessible, walking distance to the French Quarter and Canal Street streetcar to St. Charles St, to see the Garden District.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your compliments on The Westin New Orleans Canal Place. We appreciate your recognition of our associates, who are here to anticipate and fulfill your needs. We are so glad that you found Renata and Don to be helpful and provide you with recommendations and stories about our hotel and beloved city. I will be sure to pass on your kind words.

We hope you enjoyed the restaurant recommendations as well as your time in New Orleans and we can't wait to welcome you back soon.

David Rosenberg

Been to The Westin New Orleans Canal Place? Share your experiences!