“Queen & Crescent Surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Queen & Crescent Hotel

Save Saved
You added Queen & Crescent Hotel to your Saves list
Queen & Crescent Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   344 Camp Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #117 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Sherwood, Arkansas
“Queen & Crescent Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I had looked at this hotel many times as place to stay before I started my timeshare week. I am always so scared to stay in hotels that are not a part of a recognized chain, especially in New Orleans because so many property owners equate "historic" with "run down." This hotel belongs to a Boutique Hotel Group. It is only two block from historic Canal Street.

But I decided to give this property a try because the property was offering a great package for the one night that I wanted to staying and if it was really bad, I knew that I would be checking out the next morning.

I was very surprised at this property. The first thing that surprised me was the fact that the property actually honored the promotion it was advertising. I did not have to argue with anyone or call the manager (that usually doesn't happen when you book a budget hotel that is running a special).

The front desk staff was very friendly but could benefit from a little more customer service training (get off the cell phone). There was a bell man that looked like he was at least 100 years old but he was still doing his job (even though I felt really sorry for him).

This hotel actually occupies two separate buildings. I was told that the property was being renovated with the second building nearing completion. The lobby of building one is rather small but you can use the lobby of building two, if necessary.

This property maintains its historic feel but it is not "run down". I had requested two double beds but this accommodation was not available when my sister and I arrived. We, instead, were given one queen-sized bed without a price increase. This did not bother me because it was my sister. This would not have worked otherwise.

The room size was typical for a New Orleans hotel room and had adequate amenities, desk, TV armoire, iron & ironing board, blow dryer, toiletries. The bed had a nice duvet and the linen was medium grade. I did not feel uncomfortable sleeping in this bed.

The carpet was clean and I did not see any stains in the carpet.

The bathroom was small but large enough for a standard tub/shower combination and a free-standing sink. There was a large window that had been glass blocked in but the ledge afforded a lot of space to place toiletries. The bathroom was clean but not immaculate.

The hotel was offering a free continental breakfast but please don't book this hotel based on that. It is not worth it, even as free.

The valet service was very good and efficient. It was raining when we left and the valet held an umbrella for us so we would not get wet.

If the price was right, I would definitely stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Ask if building one has been renovated. If not, ask for a room in building two.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

615 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Queen and Crescent many times. We have never had a bad experience. We recently went to New Orleans with a group of friends for the weekend. Their prices are very reasonable for what you get. One of our favorite things about this hotel is the parking lot available next door. We don't usually like to fool with waiting for valet and the full day rate at the parking lot is usually cheaper than valet. It's also a very convenient location. There is so much in walking distance, especially many good restaurants and bars. The hotel in general has a nice decor but nothing grand. The bed was clean and comfortable, but the sheets, pillows, and bedspread are not on the luxury end. The bathroom was clean and had all the expected amenities. This is our usual go-to, and will continue to be. A great value overall!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for the weekend, thought the area was nice. It's a nice little walked from the popular places but we didn't mind the walk. The pictures online does this place justice! The room and service wasn't great. The room was very small, asked for more towels they never brought them. There was a amenities fee but my room didnt have any so when I question he amenities fee they said it was a resort fee . Mattress didn't fit the bed and the receptionist were not friendly. I guess you get what you pay for! I will not stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012
McComb, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I've stayed at the Queen and Crescent several times, and I've always noticed that they didn't have fitted sheets and that kind of bothered me, waking up with part of the mattress exposed. Well, I happened to be on the elevator this weekend with the General Manager, Christine, and I just jokingly said "Like, what do you guys have against fitted sheets?" Haha, she said well honestly we have such a variety of sizes of mattresses, it would be impossible for housekeeping to just keep guessing to try and find the right fitted sheet, she went on to say that new mattresses had been ordered and that most likely by my next visit they would have fitted sheets. So, we're still on the elevator and she asks our room number and I tell her and she asks what size beds we had and I said they were doubles, so she and another staff member came by and brought king size flat sheets and completely remade our beds, tucking the sheets tight under the mattresses so they wouldn't slip off, I say all of this to say that I doubt any other hotel would be so kind as to have their General Manager personally come and change sheets and visit with their guests. I was very impressed. The only reason I would never stay at the Q & C would be in the case that they had no vacancies. Love the place and now love the staff. Long live southern hospitality. (and the bar in the lobby is fabulous)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Baton Rouge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I've relied on the Q & C several times for spur of the moment needs only, and there is a fit. You can generally get a room cheap and last minute, even on big event weekends. But, beware. If you think an early check-in is possible....Think again. You are better off planning your agenda for a late check-in. Seriously. Haven't had the problem with the smoky room though, but I can see it. I booked the big mardi gras weekend that week for 4 nights and it was reasonable and served its purpose. That's about it. A guy was sleeping in a cot right by the elevator on our floor, whistle chunks in elevator and probably on every hall, the owner going mustang, reefer madness happening on one floor, but what do you expect for Mardi Gras. Sounds normal to me...LOL Other quick stays were OK. Be sure to self park in the pay lot next door. St. Charles is just 3 or 4 minute walk and please, don't depend on the lobby bar. That guy was a jerk. Would I stay there again?....yes.....if nothing else was available, or price was an issue. NOLA has so much more to offer..

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Although room was large and cooled, service was disappointing. I found the workers at the front desk unfriendly. The sheets on the bed had reminants of past stains on them. We stayed for 3 nights and never saw any cleaning help. We were not even given a sign for the door to request the room to be made up. Therefore, we never received new towels! The carpet looked as if it had not been vacuumed. The structure of the building looks beautiful but there is an obvious lack of good help. Upon checking in there were a few workings sitting out front carrying on a conversation while cursing loudly. Not very professional. We stayed with another couple who also said they were never given or offered maid services.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Signed up through expedia, read many reviews and thought it would be okay. This hotel on the surface looks very nice; especially in the lobby and outside, but once we got into our room that was another story. It's an old building so you have to give it a little leeway for being well used. Once in our room we determined the bathroom had not actually been cleaned- there was soap crud all over the top of the sink, the counter had not been wiped down as was evident by the shaving hairs and brown water stains all over the counter (that I later wiped off with a sanitary wipe). The bathroom also had some kind of brown liquids spilled on the walls (may have been an exploded soda--hopefully). The bed cover had crusty stains on it and they do not put fitted sheets on the bed so be prepared to wake up on bare mattress when the loosely tucked sheets come undone. Also while we were there they had placed us in a room next to the ice machine (held in an old coat closet) that kept us up during our stay. If your looking for a cheap hotel near Bourbon St and bars this is a great place to be, but I'll pay a little more next time to be in a more clean environment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Queen & Crescent Hotel? Share your experiences!