“Wonderful Choice When Staying in the CBD” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Pelham

You added The Pelham to your Saves list
The Pelham
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Common Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #72 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Fredericktown, Missouri
“Wonderful Choice When Staying in the CBD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was our first time back to NOLA in 17 years; we had an unscheduled trip to meet with a new client.

Having previously lived in the area, we had not many occasions to investigate lodging in the area, but the client recommended the Pelham. Rates are quite reasonable, the rooms were very neat & well-kept, and most of the desk staff was very cordial & accommodating. We had an inside room ... and yes (for those complaining of having no windows), a lot of the hotels in the CBD are "backed up to each other" in a square, so not all rooms can have windows. As there is no scenery to speak of (since all of the buildings are so close), I can't imagine wanting a window that would only allow views of other windows & buildings, as well as letting in a lot of outside noise.

Having said that, the lack of microwave & fridge was not a concern ... the real reason to come to NOLA is for the food, so who wants to have food & the inherent mess in the room?

I can't think of one complaint that wasn't/couldn't have been taken care of ... we are really rather low maintenance, I guess ... everything operated correctly, did not have to take stairs, and the room was comfortable. Well, there is one complaint: the cost of parking in the CBD environs is actually quite heart-stopping when added to the price of the room, but c'est la vie ... we WERE in the CBD.

The only drawback was the fact that there was construction/renovation going on everywhere, so lots of obstructions to walk/drive around which causes confusion for those unused to driving in downtown traffic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

The first day was good.
The second day I left early and when I got back at 2pm my room door was wide open. A bit of lack of security with no one around. On entering the room I found that there were building materials all over the place . Apparently they were replacing the windows.
To add insult to injury the room was not serviced that day. I got the builders to remove their materiald and asked to talk to the owner - several times. No luck.
"We thought you you would be out longer" "Do you wsnt to move rooms"
Lack of security, room not serviced and no one getting back to me. Oh I forgot - yhe noise from the workmen outside my window.
My first time in NO. A pity it was tainted.

• Stayed November 2012
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just off canal street and easy walking distance to the French Quarter. staff was wonderful and accommodating to our requests. very enthusiastic and recommended several restaurants that really gave us the flavour of the city.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a window - not much of a view but was strange to us that a hotel w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I booked this stay several months in advance with Thomas, he was very helpful and very courteous. I kept in touch with him through the months upon our arrival, and he was very pleasant to deal with and knew what my friends and I were looking for as far as our rooms go. He was very accommodating and as we arrived he was even more accommodating as he assisted us in picking our rooms with much detail.. As far as which floor we wanted , and also Rooms with windows. Thomas then assisted us with a map and gave us tips on where to go for entertainment in new Orleans , such as restaurants , bars, music, etc. We took his advice and it really made our trip more fun, he gave us great tips. The entire front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful throughout our four days. The rooms were spacious and we slept very nicely, no problems at all. Also the Pelham is walking distance to every fun spot in new Orleans , that was a big plus for us. Our next trip here , we will definitely stay at the Pelham... Great service , excellent staff, very
helpful. Much thanks to Thomas and the staff there, you made our stay at the Pelham very memorable!

Room Tip: Every room there is very nice and spacious.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford, MS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Pelham was very clean and staff was very nice and friendly. There was plenty of hot water and towels. The bed was very comfortable. But, the room (410) was too small for 2 double beds. There were a couple of electrical outlets that did not work. There was not TV channel lineup, no info about the hotel. No coffee in the room, but they had a kerig thing in the lobby. It was fine with us, we went to NOLA to see the city not sit in a hotel room. Valet was very nice and timely.

Room Tip: Rooms 409, 410, 411 very small
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ashland, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I used to work in New Orleans and never knew this hidden gem existed. Small but cozy, the Pelham is convenient to downtown and the French Quarter. Staff was very nice. My room didn't have a window but the decor was fresh and the room was comfortable. A ceiling panel was drooping in the bathroom but I didn't feel threatened that it would fall. I guess I should have called about it but didn't, figuring housekeeping would see it the next day. Parking was $30....valet only. VERY little room on the street when you check in so this could be a problem if there is an event in town. All in all, very satisfied with my stay here and would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Although our room was small and did not have a window, we were very happy at The Pelham. The hotel has character! It was very clean and the staff was wonderful. The desk clerk offered suggestions regarding tours and the location was great. I would recommend The Pelham.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Pelham? Share your experiences!