“great location, great price, great room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Pelham

You added The Pelham to your Saves list
The Pelham
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Common Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #71 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Aztec, New Mexico
“great location, great price, great room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

5 stars! The Pelham is a very nice and affordable hotel right in the French Quarter; $89 a night + tax. We used the garaged valet parking so we would not have to look for parking ourselves. Valet does run about $10.00 more a night than finding your own paid parking, which is common in New Orleans. Very nice room with great air conditioning and a very nice staff. Three or four blocks from bourbon street. Close to Mississippi river and trolly for those who dont want to drive there. We really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

So close to Bourbon street. Nice place to stay for the reasonable price

• Stayed July 2011
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed here for the first weekend of Jazzfest. Our group is always on the lookout for decent hotels in a decent location for a good price. Last year we stayed at the Cotton Exchange. Like the Cotton Exchange, this was a funky old building and was not run by a national hotel chain. I thought the service was better at the Pelham than the Cotton Exchange. Our group had 5 or 6 rooms and all were fine. My wife and I stayed on the first floor. Ours was a small room with very high ceilings and windows facing the street. It feels like they might have carved this room out of the first floor lobby at some point.

Read through reviews on Trip Advisor before hand so I knew what to expect. One of my friends got the room with no windows on purpose (he is a bit of a vampire). Our room was cleaned everyday. We had fresh towels everyday and had great water pressure. Some of the rooms on higher floors did not have great water pressure. Staff was very helpful with all my requests.

My suggestion is to stay here if you are looking for a good location at a good price. Ask for a new room if you don't like yours. They seem to come many varieties. Ask for help with the A/C on your first day as there is a feature that shuts the A/C off if you are not in the room. (It looks like some folks had issues with A/C turning off while sleeping.)

Overall - great value. Not a place I would recommend to those that like everything to be just right. Great place for people that won't be spending much time in their room, but want a good location.

Room Tip: Ask for windows (not something you would normally think to request). Ask for a room above the first...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

When looking at hotels in NOLA I initially wanted to stay at a cosy bed and breakfast either in or close to the French quarter. However, all the places I though looked nice was either too expesive or allready fuuly booked. then I came across the Pelham and it suited all og our needs. The location is perfect. Just across the street from the French quarter but without all the noise. Also really close to the casino and the Riverwalk. We also got a really good rate.
The room we got was large and fairly clean although, as other reviewers have mentioned, a bit in need of refurbishment. Beds were comfortable and bathroom was spacious but with bad ventilation. the only thing I missed was a fridge or mini bar. Staff was kind and helpful.
There is no restaurant at the hotel, but you can get a decent breakfast at the restaurant next door. There is also a breakfat buffet at the casino and an IHop on Canal street. The French quarter is allso full of restaurants and cafes.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

The only true good thing about this hotel is the locating. It's very close to bourbon st and around the corner from the casino. So that's great. The hotel has a kinda old school theme to it, which wasn't bad at 1st. The room we were in didn't have any windows. None. We were so close to the elevator that ER felt like we were in the elevator. The walls are paper thin that you can hear every word people are saying even if they are whispering. Sad day, great city. Poor girl.

• Stayed November 2011
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have only stayed in big name hotels before in New Orleans. Stayed at the Pelham after a referral from a friend, and was I surprised. This was a great location and great features as well. The staff were great and full of great information about the city and on going events. You get to experience New Orleans charm in the city as well as at the hotel. The best kept secret in New Orleans is The Pelham Hotel. Can't wait to stay there on my next trip, as they were making some really cool improvements to make the experience even better.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Great location! Old building. THIS PLACE NEEDS TO BE REMODELED ASAP!!!!! Our room was on the 4th floor. We took the elevator up and when we stopped at the 4th floor the elevator dropped (this is every time your on the left elevator). I felt like I was on the tower of terror in Disney! The hall smelled like mold. When we entered the room we looked around and we noticed it was missing a window. VERY strange! The room was very small and tight! The walls were cracked and in the bathroom the wallpaper was peeling and there was water damage. The bed was SO uncomfortable and the sheets were paper thin. The one bed had 4 pillows while the other had 3. Shower SUCKED! The shower head was so small it was horrible! The water pressure is the worst I have ever seen in a hotel! Turning on the shower was so confusing too! On the 3rd day one of us was taking a shower and the water just stopped! We called down to the front desk and they said they city was working on the water system and wouldn't be back up until 7pm (mind you it was 3pm) There was one trashcan and that was in the bathroom only. TV was Small and half the channels were not working. No pen and paper in the room either! I went to go get ice (which is on the 1st floor) and as I enter I can barely open the door because there are new windows wrapped in plastic and mattresses and bikes in the vending area! Some of the staff at the front desk were nice and some weren't Thomas (I think that was the guys name) was very helpful! We asked him what he thinks is the best food and the best places to go! He said if we need anything to ask him since he lived in New Orleans his whole life! The girl on the other hand was clueless and when I asked he a question she replied with "Um I 'm not sure, and I don't know really where anything is! How do you work in a hotel and not know anything about the city? Overall I wouldn't stay here ever again! They have a lot of issues to fix in this place!

Room Tip: Free wifi no window in 4th floor room!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Pelham? Share your experiences!