“The Pelham Has Gotten Better Reviews From Me...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Pelham

You added The Pelham to your Saves list
The Pelham
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Common Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #71 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Los Angeles, California
“The Pelham Has Gotten Better Reviews From Me...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

The Good...
Super clean rooms and nice cleaning staff. Great location right next to Harrah's and the Quarter, good prices.

The bad/average
The customer service at the front desk was seriously lacking. Generally courteous, but one front desk attendant was just rude and awkward... She's on the heavy side and wasn't willing to grant us the room we requested months ago or even a compromise... Not a deal breaker, but it started our visit with a disappointment...

I'd recommend the Pelham overall, but just can't bring myself to give it the 5 stars I've given it before.

Room Tip: Book early and get a great deal! DON'T take their valet, parking lots and meters are around easi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I stayed with two other friends in a room on the 3rd floor, while another two friends were in a room on the ground floor. We were there for a total of 10 days & loved every moment.

My friends on the ground floor didn't have windows, but they didn't have any problems with this, they loved the high ceilings, and the convenience of being so close to the community coffee machine. The only complaint I heard from them was that the cleaning staff had a tendency to move a stuffed toy a friend of mine had with her from her bedside table to the center of her bed, but by the end of our stay, it had become a game between her and the cleaning staff.

Our room on the 3rd floor was spacious, we had two double beds, a large screen tv, wardrobe, cupboards, suitcase stands. The room was cleaned daily, the beds were comfortable. Loved the big windows, even though there wasn't much of a view. The bathroom was clean, with plenty of bench space & a full wall worth of mirror.

The staff were friendly, regardless of the time or day. The community coffee was excellent. I personally would rather have a high grade coffee machine that produces drinkable coffee in the lobby, than the standard cheap coffee machines supplied in some hotels that produces something that doesn't even smell like coffee let alone taste like it.

I loved the fact that the hotel was joined to The Ruby Slipper restaurant, which was a wonderful place to go have breakfast each morning (except on weekends when there's a line up of people waiting to be seated that goes out the door).

The hotel is on a small side street, the doorway is well lit, and while the streets leading to the hotel are a bit dark at night time, I dont feel it's fair to hold the hotel responsible for something that is clearly outside of their realm of control. It was a short walk to enter the French Quarter, 10 minute walk to get to either the Green Trolley line, Riverwalk, Harrods or the Mardi Gras World shuttle, & 15 minutes to get to Cafe Du Monde, Bourbon Street, or Jackson Square. One of the main streets, Canal Street, is a block over from the hotel.

The only time I ever had an issue in the hotel, was one day when we kept returning to our room to find the door open. We were unable to find an explanation for the door being open, nothing was taken, & each time we spoke to the desk staff they were apologetic & more upset than we were about the door issue.

Overall, I loved this hotel. If I ever have a chance to return to New Orleans, I will stay here again. And I'll be recommending it to any of my friends planning on visiting NOLA as well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

This old building has a lot of charm but the front desk staff could have been more helpful. They did not seem to have much information about the area restaurants and sites. Also, the air conditioning was on in December so they provided a space heater for the room in order to get a comfortable temperature - it worked, but we had to go down to the desk to get it and we weren't informed about the issue upon check in, which would have been nice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I really have mixed emotions about this hotel. It was my first time visiting New Orleans, so I was really excited about just being in this wonderful city. However, I wasn't that blinded by excitement to recognize that my place of lodging wasn't quite up to snuff. Let me start by listing the positives. Perfect location, friendly hotel employees, fair price, and clean room. Now, the cons. No customer service once you are there. My boyfriend misplaced the tv remote control and called the front desk to get a replacement. He was told that he would have to come to front desk to pick it up because there was no one else working who could bring the remote to the room. Housekeeping came in the morning to clean the room, but we were still in bed and asked them to come back later. There was no later. Housekeeping never returned, so we had to go and pick up clean towels from the front desk later on in the evening after returning from a day out. We were told the same thing by front desk that we would have to come and get the towels because no one else was there to bring them to our room. There was no complimentary coffee in the room. Only community coffee in the lobby. The bed was so lumpy that my boyfriend awoke limping. He said that he'd had better sleep at a campground. Verdict - If you just need a place to just crash while in New Orleans, this is the place. But, if you're looking for luxury or just average hotel treatment, keep on lookng for another place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Groves, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I recently stayed here with some friends to celebrate my birthday for the weekend of November 18th-20th 2011.We got a good price considering the fact that most of the hotels in this area were much more expensive. The location of this hotel was perfect. It was a couple minutes walking distance from Harrah's casino, Bourbon street, and the French Quarter. We valet parked our vehicle through the hotel and we payed about $30 per night including tax for valet. We walked everywhere the whole trip, we didnt use our car once.Our room was nice, maybe a little on the small side. The first night we stayed our air conditioning didn't work so we called the front desk and they promptly sent the maintence man in to fix it. The next night our vents over the toilet were leaking so bad it looked like it was raining in our bathroom, our toilet was soaking wet and we used all of our towels to catch the water leak. When we called the front desk to tell them they said they would try to send a maintence man to fix it and they had no clean towels to send to us now but they will bring some when they have some available. As we got tired of waiting we decided to go ahead and leave and go to Bourbon street for the night and hopefully it would be fixed when we get back. When we returned to the hotel that night it still was not fixed so we called the front desk again and they said that they didnt have anyone to fix it that it was too late at night that they could send someone in the morning or switch us rooms. We declined switching rooms since it was so late at night and we were ready to go to bed. We had to go all the way down stairs the rest of our stay to use the bathroom due to the fact if we used ours we would get dripped on from the vent. The next morning it was time for check out and our vent was still not fixed and they just now brought clean towels to our room ( now that we were leaving and didnt need them) I went down to talk to the lady at the desk to see if we could talk to a manger. She said the manager was not there but she would take our number and he would call us. She also said they just switched owners so that is why the room repairs have not been taking care of yet. When we got home I was waiting for a call from the manager on Monday and he had not called me yet so by 1:30pm I called and spoke with Shawn(either the manager or owner) i didnt have to wait long for him to get on the phone and i explained our situation and problems and he was very understanding and listened to what i had to say and he credited our card back a one night stay.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011 via mobile

The hotel was overall great, very clean and welcome. The one thing me and my wife felt uneasy about was the entrance to the hotel is off of a side street that was very dark. Walking back to the hotel at night from the quarter wasn't very pleasant. We had someone try to follow us back and beg for money.

• Stayed October 2011
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We have visited New Orleans on a number of occasions staying in various hotels, we stay mostly near the casino but after the last trip staying at the Doubletree (the one recommended by Harrahs )we looked else where and found the Pelham, just a block away.
Its a boutique hotel which as recently been bought and is under a new owner and management. We found the hotel and the rooms clean, the staff was very very helpful, the price including valet parking was excellent. The hotel is very convienent for the casino, riverwalk and the quarter. There is a breakfast and lunch resturant attached which was very good and we throughly enjoyed our stay over the weekend. Compared to the Doubletree the room was large and open, and the price was excellent. Talking to the manger there is going to be alot of improvements coming, for my money its great now, its definetly going to be our hotel in New Orleans from now on

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Pelham? Share your experiences!