“Loved this spot since 2007” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Pelham

You added The Pelham to your Saves list
The Pelham
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Common Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #73 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
San Antonio, Texas
“Loved this spot since 2007”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

It's all about location for me and my daughter who enjoy great weekends in the French Quarter. This unique location holds a wonderful history that makes it more special. The access to everything you could need is only steps away. Expect to see upgrades as it has recently been purchased by the Hampton Inn. There is a new staff, hi Kiki. The restaurant next door is now operating as the Red Slipper. We have to hope that the price point does not change. We like!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Athens, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I recently stayed here for Essence and it was a total disaster! We requested a room with a window before arriving, but when we arrived, we were told that all "window" rooms were booked.....this is just the beginning. When we entered the room, it reaped of mildew! We brought this to the hotel's staff attention and were told that the hotel was under renovation....as if this makes it ok for it to smelll this way. During our entire 5 night stay, the toilet flood every single night! We were told that due to the htoel being under renovation, they have not been able to address the plumbing issues. Ater every shower, the water from the tub leaked unto the floor. The bathroom ceiling was practically falling apart. The bed leaned towards the floor after every night of sleep, and the icemaker stayed unstocked. When we asked for clean towels, we were told that the entire hotel only had 60 towels, and that getting additional towels were limited. On the bright side, we were able to speak with the manager on the last day of our visit. Maintenance were most helpful, they practically did everyone else's job. I usually give everyone the benefit of doubt, even after reading the reviews, but in this case, the reviews are true, this place is an absolute dump! Please do not stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I came to the hotel for a romantic trip with my husband and I honestly loved the location because we walked everywhere from the mall to bourbon st even to the riverwalk the hotel is now under new ownership and the staff came to my aid when I needed directions or any type of information they also made sure that we were enjoying ourself's disregard the other reviews that are negative because honestly the cost and location are amazing

• Stayed July 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

The Pelham was adorable. It is in the right spot for all tourist sites but costs the fraction of other major hotels. This hotel has an antique feel. If you are a laid back person who is not to concerned with the hype of the night life then this hotel is the place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011
Ottawa Lake, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

I'm originally from New Orleans but Live in Michigan now. Came to visit family and went the cheap way and stayed at the Pelham. Obviously you get what you pay for.... First check in was ok but the front desk man did not know anything about the parking and told me the Valet was 32.00 per day. There's a parking lot across the street that charges 25.00 for 24 hrs! and was warned that the Valet took aprox. 20 min to come and get your car and to bring it back. So I just parked across the street... Once we got to our room, the A/C did not work. Called the front desk and they came up to try and fix it but couldn't, so we got another room. This one was bigger and had the marble countertops like in the pics but the room was kinda yucky feeling. I stayed there for 6 nights! (unfortunatelly, I pre paid 2 months ago). Then I left and went to Biloxi for a few days and came back for 2 more nights, and was put into a room like my original room and we couldn't get the A/C to work, so an actuall maintenance man came up and pressed a few buttons and it worked; however, my blow dryer did not, so I had to request a new one. On a positive note, they responded pretty quickly to my complaints. But my last night we set the A/C to as low as we can 65 but when we woke up sweating, it was stuck on 78 degrees!!!! Now I get home and find that I have over 250.00 in misc fees. I called the hotel and was advised that everyone there was new and that they have a new system so they don't know where the charges came from, and at check out was told that I was good to go because i had pre paid. (I went throught Cheap tickets.com). Also, be warned They do not change the sheets, I had to doubles and one did not have a fitted sheet just 2 regular sheets, and the other the fitted sheet was put on inside out and there is no way that every night they put the sheets on the same. There is no dresser to put your clothes in, just a hanging closet. Also, No fridge or Coffee maker :(

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Talladega, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Stayed here for Memorial Day weekend with my best friend. Very close to casino! Pulled up and no one came out to help us. Went in to check in and no one even greeted me. I had to speak over the front desk "group" to introduce myself and ask for help. A stranger off the street had to hold the front door open and help us pull the luggage trolley in. got checked in and the room was fairly nice. Could not get the air conditioner to turn off the whole time though. Stayed cool or hot. You would think if you turned the thing on auto and put the air at 72 it would turn off at 72. NOT! got down to 62 and then I would have to shut the whole system off until it got warm again and then turn the air conditioner on again. This happened at night when we were in the room trying to sleep. You could hear everything on the street and we were up pretty high. Low water pressure. everything else was good though. Beds slept wonderfully! will stay here again for the price! Parked at casino and didn't have to pay for parking!

Room Tip: really close to casino
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Oakville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Stayed at hotel during Rotary convention end of May. The day before we arrived the hotel was taken over by the bank and they sent in a management company to over-haul the entire place. We saw a great improvement in 5 days, but they still had a way to go. My friends reported a leak in their room on their carpet when we left Sunday morning, which had grown to soak the entire carpet by the time returned Sunday night. They had to then move to another room and were offered one without any windows, which they declined.

Bottom line - if could be a wonderful authentic new orleans hotel - huge tall ceilings but it needs to be completely freshened up - new linens, carpets, drapes etc. They were hiring all new staff while we were there and installing a new computer reservation system.
BTW - don't pay for the safe extra fee or the wifi fee either!

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Pelham? Share your experiences!