“Clean, quiet, and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Omni Royal Crescent

You added The Omni Royal Crescent to your Saves list
The Omni Royal Crescent
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   535 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #36 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Baltimore
“Clean, quiet, and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We stayed for 6 nights in the beginning of August. My husband had a convention and I tagged along for fun. We needed a place that split the difference between the FQ and convention center since we would be without a vehicle, it had to be cheap since his work was not picking up the tab, and it had to be quiet since the hubby actually needed to sleep. I was a little nervous about this place due to some of the mixed reviews but it turns out my concerns were for nothing.

Just look at it on the map. It’s right on the edge of everything. FQ is two blocks away. The convention center is 10 - 15 minute walk. There’s more food and drink within walking distance than you can shake a hand grenade at. Don’t like to walk? Catch the trolley. The St. Charles and Canal lines are two blocks away. The best part is that due to it being out of the quarter and situated on a side street, the place was super quiet for a downtown hotel. I saw some people complain about the noise. Of course there’s going to be some – it’s an old downtown hotel. If you don’t want any street noise, stay on the 20th floor of the Marriott.

The only time we actually heard anything was Friday night. The club right down the street got going around 1 a.m. but it wasn’t really enough to bother me (side note – We had consider staying at Loft 523. This is the same club that everyone complains about there. It really is that loud. Our room was situated about 1/2 block away and we could still hear it.)

The room was immaculately clean and the hotel staff was beyond friendly. The room had all amenities that I would expect – coffee maker, mini-fridge, makeup mirror, decent toiletries, and excellent black out curtains. They have removed the weird glass thing in the shower and installed a standard curtain/rod. The AC and shower worked perfectly. One morning, our toilet decided to stop flushing. We told the front desk on our way out to breakfast and it was fixed by the time we got back.

My biggest complaint was the internet. It worked intermittently in our room. If you went up to the roof deck, it worked phenomenally (500 KB/s downloads). It wasn’t an issue of firewalls or technical problems on our part. It would just come and go no matter what channel you jumped on. But it was free, so you get what you pay for.

I think a lot of the bad reviews for this place come from a price vs. value conflict. We were able to get a nightly rate well under $100/night. At that price point, this place is an excellent value. For those who pay more than $150/night during standard rate times, I can see how they would be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Thanks for writing a review of the Omni Royal Crescent. We’re glad you were able to take advantage of some of our great summer rates and get a good location near the French Quarter and the convention center. It’s great to hear that the service was prompt when the toilet starting acting up. In regards to the wireless signal, the walls in the building are thicker than most and can disrupt the signal at times. We’ve heard guests that have issues in certain rooms and not others, but the roof deck does have an unobstructed signal so it will consistently get speeds of 500kb/s and above. We are working on improving the wireless network so that the signal is fast and reliable in every room of the hotel. We hope you will stay with us again next time you visit New Orleans for business or leisure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Navarre, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

My husband and I spent one night in New Orleans and quickly chose the Omni because we have stayed with Omni Hotels before and never had a problem. The room we had was very stuffy (the air conditioner was not functioning properly), and as soon as I sat on the bed the other end of it lifted up in the air. Upon checking under the bed it was being held up by makeshift wooden blocks, and this was unacceptable for me. Also I got a room with the jacuzzi tub, but when you want to take a shower the heads are not positioned properly and the water sprays everywhere into the bathroom thus causing me to slip and bang my knee into the hardware on the tub. All in all I was not happy with my stay, but if there is a plus it is the location, the friendly staff, and the workout room is nice.

*UPDATE*
All of our problems were brought to the attention of the management of this Omni hotel, and I am pleased to say that they have assured me that all of these issues have been resolved. They were very nice about it and I would now recommend this hotel to others. Enjoy your stay in New Orleans!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, July 17, 2009
We are sorry that your stay was not up to our hotel standards. The bed should never lift up in the air and the shower should spray in a concentrated direction, not all about. In the event that you find yourself in a room with issues such as these, please call the front desk and they will do their best to accommodate a room change. As you can see from some of our other reviews this is not the normal condition of our rooms. Again we apologize and ask that you come back and stay in one of our rooms in good working order.
Fort Wayne, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

My husband and I made our first trip to NOLA over Memorial Day Weekend and stayed at the Omni Royal Crescent. We found a great rate on the internet, and booked through the hotel's website. I arrived very early on Friday, expecting to check my bags and walk around for a few hours, but our room was ready and they were more than willing to let me in! EVERYONE we encountered at the front desk was so friendly and helpful. We got lots of great tips on restaurants and other attractions...at all hours of the day, every day! Our room had every ammenity we needed, and was spacious and clean! I loved the huge all marble bathroom and the bed and linens were perfectly crisp and comfy. The location is perfect. Close enough to walk everywhere you want to go, but far enough away from the big party. We were more than happy with our stay, we would recommend the Omni Royal Crescent to ANYONE, and we will defintely stay there again!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, June 19, 2009
We’re so happy you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate you spreading the word about the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again very soon in New Orleans.
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

The night we checked in, I tried to connect to the wireless internet but was not able to access it. I called the tech support line (from the bathroom, since the portable phone in the room was dead) but the operator was not able to diagnose my problem, and suggested that I uninstall and reinstall my wireless card (which I did not do and it worked fine the next day).
Lots of street noise and door slamming at night. Also, we found someone's g-string under the tv stand (the staff removed this for us and offered us a coupon for a free coffee). I wished the restaurant offered a more extensive menu - I didn't think the burgers were very good at all. However, there are other places to eat within walking distance.
All in all, the hotel is fine but not great, and definitely overpriced at 159-179/night. I think someone looking for a nice place to stay could do much better. Next time I am in New Orleans, I will pay the extra $ and stay at the W.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, April 10, 2009
Thank you for writing a review of the Royal Crescent. We apologize that our wireless internet connection was not working properly during your stay. We also regret that the article of clothing was left under the TV stand. While you said you may stay somewhere else on your next visit, we hope you will reconsider staying with us again. We are making improvements to our wireless connection and as you can see from our other reviews finding articles of clothing in the room from a previous guest is not common. Please consider staying with us next time your travels bring you to New Orleans.
Champaign IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

My wife and I just returned from a 3 night stay. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly and answered all of our questions. The valet service was very quick.
The location is great...close to everything, but far enough from the Quarter and Canal to get a good night sleep.
I strongly recommend this hotel.....

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, April 6, 2009
We appreciate your review of the Omni Royal Crescent. Lots of people have agreed with you on their preference for a hotel within walking distance from the Quarter, but far enough away to have some peace and quiet. We’re glad the staff took great care of you and that you enjoyed the rooms. We hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to New Orleans.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

Stayed 3 nights and found this motel the best. Room was clean,staff was very friendly and always helpful. Would stay here again if I ever return to New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in New Orleans. If there is anything we can do for you during your next stay, please let us know.
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Omni Royal Crescent on March 15th for 3 nights. We have traveled to New Orleanns several times in the last 7 months , as our daughter attends college there, and have tried different hotels each time trying to find the perfect one. The Royal Crescent did it for us.

Check in was incredibly fast, and we were shown to a room within minutes of walking through the front door. This despite the fact we arrived at the hotel hours before checkin. The woman who checked us in was extremely friendly and stayed so each time we saw her. I wish I was sure of her name ...I think it was Arika Reed but am not sure. She was great. Called after we had been in the rooom for a few mintues to be sure all was OK.

The room was great. We had requested a room with two double beds. The room we were given had 2 king beds, a large marble bathroom with jacuzzi tub and a 2nd marble bathroom wtih a glass shower. We had a nice flatscreen TV, plenty of extra large, thick bath towels, great bathrobes and really nice bath products. There was an abundance of hot water whenever we needed it and we took advantage of the jacuzzi tub. The room was spotless and was cleaned beautifully each day. How clean a room is is very important to me...this room was squeaky clean and seemed recently updated. The beds were comfortable and the bed linens were of good quality. The rooms are not huge, but cozy and with everything you need to be extremely comfotable. I loved the high ceilings in the rooms.

We used the roman style hot tub on the 6th floor patio one day and it was very nice and relaxing. We had it to ourselves on a drizzly, cool afternoon and it was beautiful out there..nice plants and a fountain. Loved it. Did not use any of the fitness equipment.

Did not try the on site restaurant, which is a gourmet burger joint called Dress It, but it smelled wonderful in there and we will check it out on our next trip. We did have room service bring us a pot of coffee and cream one morning. We were not charged for this which was a nice surprise...I think because we had signed up for the Omni select guest program, which is free, This also
provided us with free wireless which worked well.

We loved the location in the warehouse/arts district. It is only a few mins walk to the french quarter, and we spent alot of time there, but we also spent alot of time exploring the area and eateries around the hotel....there is a cool vibe in this area and I really loved it.

Lastly, the people who work at the hotel were all friendly and efficient. The service was that of a 5 star hotel. I look forward t our next trip and a chance to stay at the Royal Crescent again. Kudos to the hotel for getting it all right.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, March 27, 2009
Thank you for letting us and other TripAdvisor readers we got it all right. We strive to receive reviews like this one, and we really appreciate you taking the time to write about all aspects of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again next time you come to visit your daughter.

Been to The Omni Royal Crescent? Share your experiences!