“Classy and chic -the Omni Royal Crescent is a delight!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Omni Royal Crescent

Save Saved
You added The Omni Royal Crescent to your Saves list
The Omni Royal Crescent
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   535 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #29 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
DEER PARK
“Classy and chic -the Omni Royal Crescent is a delight!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in a traditional room. The room was very comfortable and clean, with some great practical amenities like an easy-to-operate room safe (that could fit a laptop). Be sure to sign up with Omni’s Loyalty-Rewards Program to make use of complimentary wi-fi service and other nice little perks that just added to the level of convenience and comfort. The location was perfect – making Bourbon Street easily within walking distance and close to the parade routes. The Reception staff were fantastic! – extremely helpful and very friendly, like providing us with a few local bakeries to buy King Cake or helping us check in for our return flights including printing our boarding passes. - We really enjoyed staying at the Omni Royal Crescent. Again, the location was fantastic especially when it came to viewing the parades on St. Charles avenue/street. We walked right out the hotel, down the street to the parade, collected a lot of parade throws, then just walked right back to the hotel to get rid of the parade loot and went right back out to get more loot at the next parade. And no matter how many times i entered the hotel, was always greeted with a warm smile and hello.

717 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Westminster, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great location, close enough to the French Quarter to be convenient yet far enough away to avoid the noise during Mardi Gras when you're ready to sleep. Front desk staff were uniformly outstanding. Friendly, helpful and informative. Room was a nice size with reasonable amenities coffee pot with coffee, small refrigerator, flat screen TV, and Wi-Fi in the room. Bathroom was bright but it lacked an exhaust fan. The only negative was the buffet breakfast. While plentiful, the "hot" items (eggs, sausage, pancakes) were usually lukewarm at best. Despite this minor irritant the variety of items on the buffet more than outweighed the negatives and the cost of $14.95, in my opinion, was worth it. I would stay there again.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Good:
Convenient to French Quarter, CBD and Warehouse/Arts
Recent renovation that has been well cared for
Smaller hotel
Very nice rooms
Great service

Bad:
It still an old building and as a result noise is an issue. Your neighbors sound like they're in the room with you at times, you can hear every door closing on the floor and you can also hear noise off of the street.

There is some bad design in the bathroom. First, there's no exhaust fan so everything steams up in about 2 seconds. There's also wallpaper in the bathroom so aforementioned steam is already causing the paper to peel. Finally, there was some dumb glass half door for the shower that did nothing to stop water getting out of the tub and that also wound up getting whacked by the bathroom door everytime you opened it. I just hope its tempered glass..

The pictures on Omni's website make it seem like there's a pool when in reality it is an oversized jacuzzi. It was nice, just not what was expected.

Although it may seem that by giving more details on the bad aspects rather than the good, that I did not enjoy my stay. Be assured that's not the case and the items I listed as "bad" were only minor concerns. I just want to give as much info on the negatives as possible so people know what to expect. All in all, we were very happy with our stay.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor may cancel out any noise from the street.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My first mistake was booking the wrong hotel, I wanted the Omni royal Orleans and instead booked here. My wife and I arrived hoping it would be similar to other omni hotels we had stayed at previously. The check in staff was very nice, but the room was our issue. The three D's - Dirty, Dark, and Dingy. The room was the size of a small NY apartment. I walked into the bathroom as a decent sized roach scurried across the floor and disappeared into the crack. Now, I woul have just stayed seeing as every hotel has bugs, but the wife saw it and refused to enter the bathroom. We found crumbs under the sheets and the staff left us two pillows on the bed, so we could each have one, very thoughtful. Booked a new hotel and left.

• Stayed February 2013
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We apologize for the condition of the room when you checked in. However we made a mistake by allowing you to check-in to a room that was vacant, but had not been cleaned by housekeeping. These issues are not typical as you can see from our other reviews. Regardless we regret the error. While we know you will most likely not return to the hotel, we hope that you will still consider the Royal Orleans when returning to New Orleans.
Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. At first, I was skeptical. When looking at pictures on Tripadvisor, the rooms seemed very dark to me and I was somewhat turned off. Wow, am I glad that I ignored that instinct and booked anyway. The location was perfect. It was very close to the French Quarter - an easy walk to Bourbon St., etc. but on the other side of Canal Street, making it a little bit quieter and off the beaten path. I can't speak for other times of year but if you are going for Mardi Gras, this is what you want. I often thought about the hotels around Bourbon Street and wondered if the guests were able to sleep at all. So much noise at all hours - not only from party-goers but also from street-cleaning, etc. This hotel was on a quiet block yet easily walkable to the craziness, something I found to be the best of both worlds. The rooms were small but comfortable. We had a nice corner room with huge floor to ceiling windows. Great sized bathroom. Very comfortable bed. Nice in-room amenities like comfortable bath robes and toiletries. Every day, we were offered a complimentary beverage that was delivered to our room at our choice of time. We also got free delivery of the daily newspaper and free wi-fi. Nice little touches. The staff was beyond friendly. Check-in and check-out were a breeze. We often had questions, needed maps, needed to store luggage, needed taxis called.... and the list goes on... every single staff member we came into contact with was pleasant and eager to help. Overall, this was a great choice. Awesome hotel option and PERFECT for Mardi Gras in particular. On a final note, I loved their system: hang red beads on the door for "do not disturb"; hang green beads on the door for service. How fun!

Room Tip: Sign up to be a select guest and you will get special room choices.
Cobden, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed two nights, a week apart, wrapping a cruise. What stood out was the cheerfulness and helpfulness of staff; all of them. I missed having a bench outside to sit upon. We did not try the restaurant; although it appeared clean just not particularly appealing. Halls, rooms and lobby were clean and nicely decorated, not elegant, but comfortable. Ask for the jacuzzi tubs. Our room and furniture were a misfit, but the tub and large bathroom were wonderful. It was a long room that created large useless spaces and tight walking spaces. Did I mention the marble walls and tub? Maybe I just loved the tub, and well, the staff was really especially friendly. We had a good time there.

Room Tip: you have to ask for the whirlpool tub rooms. They are interior with no window.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thanks for choosing to stay with us before and after your cruise. We hope you had a great time on the water, and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay. If you plan a cruise in the future or are just visiting New Orleans, we hope you will come back.
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I preface this review with the fact that I love Omni hotels. The best hotel experiences I've had were at Omni hotels in Philadelphia, Boston, Austin and Richmond. So when I was scheduled for a one-week business trip to New Orleans, you can imagine my excitement to find an Omni downtown, just two block west of Canal Street in New Orleans, for $139/night that included a whirlpool tub. So I decided to bring my wife with me on this trip. Too good to be true. I guess for $139/night, you can't expect to get a window view better than the brick wall of the building next door, but when you are awakened the first night with what sounds like a rainstorm in your bathroom, I should have realized this was not the Omni I knew. Apparently, the couple above was loving it up so much in their tub that their jacuzzi juice floweth over and through the floor/ceiling into our tub and bathroom floor. Considering the stain spots we found on the tile floor around the toilet when we first arrived, we decided it best to just take a shower in the tub from that point. We called the desk and eventually maintenance arrived to explain what had happened and they would be back in the morning to fix/clean things up. That never happened.

The thermostat in the room had no gauge on it to be able to tell what temperature we were setting the room to so it took a couple of days to get a handle on that, but the worst part of the room experience was the bed. The mattress, to put it mildly, was completely "shot out". Hey, I love my wife, but when you find yourself tangled up in the middle of the bed where the mattress bottoms out all through the night regardless of how many times I rolled out, it's damn hard to get a decent night's sleep.

I loved the location with great restaurants (Ruby Slipper, Red Gravy and Mother's) just walking distance away. And I will say that the front desk and restaurant staff were exceptional, but when I had the opportunity to leave a day earlier after completing my work ahead of schedule, we couldn't wait to get the hell out of New Orleans so I could get home to my own bed. Now that's just plain wrong.

Room Tip: Ask what your window view will be.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
We're sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay. Please check your inbox as we sent you a private message to find out more about your stay.

Been to The Omni Royal Crescent? Share your experiences!