“Lovely Hotel - Omni Black-level Frustration” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Royal Crescent Hotel

You added Omni Royal Crescent Hotel to your Saves list
Omni Royal Crescent Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   535 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #42 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Lovely Hotel - Omni Black-level Frustration”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

It was probably seven years ago when I stayed at this hotel last; I remembered it having a quaint, boutique quality which it still has.

My first complaint, though, is the failure of this hotel with regard to me being a black-level Omni guest. Black is the highest level with Omni hotels and one of the benefits to being black-level is the complimentary double-upgrade provided. Essentially, this should guarantee getting a suite at the time of check-in. While I just recently stayed at the hotel, I have made reservations several times in the last couple months only to be told that "no suites were available". If I can book a suite online, there is a suite available - the hotel, however, seems to have a policy of stating they are all booked to avoid giving the upgrade. So of course when I went to check in this time there were no suites available.

I know the above may sound snobby, but I travel extensively all year and whether it is airlines, hotels or rental cars, I have one or two brands with whom I deal exclusively due to the perks associated with my membership. I find it very frustrating when hotels choose to deny those benefits - it makes one question why one is loyal to that brand. Moreover, I was given a room on the second floor without even a window. I simply find it hard to believe there were no suites available on a Wednesday night.

Otherwise, the hotel is a great location - on a nice, quiet street just a block off of Canal. The casino is a few blocks away, as is the French Quarter, the Superdome, etc. The decor of the hotel was classic and well-done - certainly had a nice luxury feel to it.

The gym was lacking for anyone who takes working out seriously. If going to the gym involves a treadmill or elliptical machine for you, then you are fine. If you like lifting weights and really "working out", don't plan on using the hotel's gym.

I found the hotel staff to be professional and polite and the service overall was excellent.

My review of this hotel would have been 100% favorable if I were not at the highest level of their loyalty program but in a standard room without any windows.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
We greatly appreciate your business and we want to provide the best possible rooms for our loyal customers. Unfortunately the night you arrived we were at 99% occupancy and when you arrived after 3 a.m. we didn't have any suites available. We are sorry we couldn't provide an upgrade at check-in, but we hope you will still consider staying with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Morgantown, Wv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I chose to stay here instead of the Sheraton where my conference was because they offered a government rate within my per diem. What a great choice I made. It was very relaxing to return to low stress and quiet, personal atmosphere at the Omni each evening, after enduring crowds and chaos all day at the Sheraton. I stayed in a King room (250 sq ft) with plenty of space and a large well appointed bathroom with a whirlpool tub. It was very clean and comfortable with many pleasant touches (bathrobes, nice amenities, good coffee, and unobtrusive evening service) The front desk staff and bartender made me feel so welcome - remembering my name all week and responding to every request I had. I will stay here every year for this meeting and encourage others to defect from the huge hotels. The only thing I did not love about the room, was the lack of a window made me feel a little closed up, but I had requested a quiet room so that's probably why I was placed in an interior room. If you join their reward program, the web access is free.

Room Tip: If a window, or anything else is important to you, be sure to state that on your reservation. They...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I chose this Omni because we like Omni Hotels, historic buildings, and the complimentary wifi and morning beverages for loyalty members. Finding out the night before that we would be arriving early, I emailed the Loyalty Ambassador, Sarah, requesting an early check-in if possible. We arrived about 10:30 am, and were very pleased to find our room ready. We received a pleasant greeting from Sarah, who was at the desk that morning.

This hotel is in what appears to be a historic building in the business area of NOLA. Easy to find. Close to the St. Charles streetcar, and a short walk to the French quarter. They have no parking garage, so you have to use valet parking or find a public garage. We chose valet ($26), which seemed fair compared to the other prices in the area. The room was small, but nice. Beds comfortable. Nicely decorated bathroom with the usual great Omni bath products.

In addition to the usual loyalty program perks we received two cute "fleur de lis" bottles of water in evening…a nice touch.

Would stay here again when visiting NOLA. P.S. – best place to eat Mr. B’s Bistro

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

The Onmi Crescent Hotel is a nice boutique hotel located near everything important in D/T New Orleans. I've stayed here a couple times and feel always the same. Easy walk to French Quarter, casino and all the attractions near by. Only down side is the rooms and bathrooms are a bit small but very nicely appointed.

Stayed April 2012
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

When I arrived for a nine night stay, I was alarmed that I was having an allergic reaction to something when I walked in the room. The staff promptly offered me a choice of two other rooms, but I had to take the one with the desk, since I had brought my laptop to take advantage of the free WiFi. The new room was large and comfortable with three nice windows. Then I found out the WiFi doesn't work in room 501. The staff is very friendly and helpful about some things, but they insisted I call an 800 number to fix the WiFi. I balked at first, but eventually, against my better judgement, I made the call. 31 minutes of answering technical questions (while I'm on vacation) yielded a decision to move me to level 2. You get the idea. Forget the WiFi. It still upsets that they are comfortable making a fraudulent claim about offering WiFi, but life is short and I just repacked my laptop. I still like the place. Great location. Just don't bring your laptop.

Room Tip: The 01 rooms, as in 501, are nice, provided you don't need WiFi. Although it was next to the ele...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Overall, our stay at the Omni Royal Crescent was good. The hotel is in a convenient location - close to downtown, Canal Street, the French Quarter - we walked everywhere. Arrival and parking were easy. The woman that checked us in gave us a map and pointed out good things for us to try while we were in town. The room was nice and clean - great floor to ceiling windows (room 801).

We joined Omni's membership program, so wireless was included. We also got a free breakfast beverage for each of us each morning - coffee, juice, etc - this was very nice.

There is no pool at this hotel - there is a sundeck on the 5th floor. There are chairs and a hot tub. The fitness center is also located on the sundeck (inside) - it seemed small, but we didn't use it.

There were a couple of not-so-great things about the room. The sconces on the bathroom mirror had fallen slightly, so there was jagged mirror around the lights (they were high enough and on the mirror that it didn't matter). The shower doors were also strange - it is less than 1/2 covered with a glass door - water got all over the floor - easy to work around with extra towels.

The last thing I'll note is that the rooms in the hotel are smaller than most. When you're making the reservation, pay attention to the sq ft size of the room. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room, so it didn't really matter to us.

Room Tip: Watch the sq ft size of the room when reserving - rooms are on the small side.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
George Town, Grand Cayman
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We just checked in this afternoon. The staff were great and even called to say we could check in early. If you are going to stay at this Omni you should be a person who is not bothered by other people’s dirt in your bed or bathroom. I am not that type of person.

We are staying here as I type this, Easter Sunday 2012, to celebrate out wedding anniversary with a trip to NOLA and a Jacuzzi suite. The room did resemble the one on the website in a tired and worn out kind of way. I took the bed spread off the bed put it in a closet and went to go put the blanket from the plastic bag in the closet on the bed. There was a short dark curly hair on it (I am a dark blonde, it was not mine). I had room service bring another and as I was turning down the bed I found that THE SHEETS WERE STAINED. I would think they would take stained sheets out of circulation. I had to ask for another. I went to take a shower and the Jacuzzi tub had black mildew in the grout along its edges and covering the caulking. I couldn’t imaging what would be in the pipes. On our way back from dinner I bought a large bottle of bleach at the cover CVS and poured it down the walls, and in the tub (mildew was growing around the jets). It did help some. But spending the first night of my anniversary vacation cleaning the room and changing the stained sheets with other people’s body hair as my husband fell asleep waiting … not romantic. Shame on them, doesn’t anyone check these rooms?

It was the descent reviews that convinced me to book here. I feel either they were grossly misleading or the people posting had a far different room. I would NOT call my room CLEAN and with someone had posted about the lack of cleanliness. I took photos and if I can figure out how will post. I think it would be a shame if someone book expecting a “clean room and grat value” as I was and then wound up with what I wound up with.

Room Tip: try a different place, I found this one too dirty and regret committing to this many day and no canc...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
We apologize for any cleanliness issues you experienced during your stay. We should never have stained sheets in circulation and we're sorry we made that mistake. We're also sorry about the cleanliness of the bathroom. We are more than happy to send housekeeping to refresh the room if there is a concern. However the grout in the bathrooms is colored to blend in with the tile, not pure white as many grouts are. We did offer a complimentary night to you as an apology for the issues you experienced. We're glad that our staff was awesome and we hope that you might give us another chance to win you over as a customer.