“Wonderful upgrade due to reservation ambiguity” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Omni Royal Crescent

You added The Omni Royal Crescent to your Saves list
The Omni Royal Crescent
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   535 Gravier Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #43 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful upgrade due to reservation ambiguity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Though I did not notice that our reservation only specified the number of adults (3), not the number of beds (2 that I had specified), the hotel did agree to upgrade us (for no extra cost) to a king suite because one room with one bed, with an additional cost for a rollaway was not acceptable to us. Not only was the suite quite spacious but housekeeping did a perfect job for the three days of our stay.

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Omni Royal Crescent for 4 nights and we were extremely satisfied with this little boutique hotel. I have always been an Omni fan and love their morning beverages & free internet for Omni Select Guests. This trip proved to be another great experience with Omni. The front desk staff, Sarah, and the Loyal Ambassador, Bradley, were most helpful and friendly. We were offered a free upgrade to the Junior Suite and there was a separate sitting room with 2 single sofas, an ottoman, a coffee table and a flat-screen TV. We spent lots of relaxing afternoon hours in the sitting area chatting, taking a nap, watching TV, and we did feel that Omni was “a home away from home”.

Though a room with no view, the bedroom was quite big with a King bed, a single sofa, a huge desk and another flat screen TV. However, the bed and the TV cabinet were so close that we could not even open the cabinet door all the way to get to the fridge…no big deal, just a little inconvenient! The bed was very comfortable but I missed the fluffy duvets like those offered by Sofitel, W, St. Regis & Westin. The complimentary morning beverages (2 drinks per guest) were most remarkable and a great start in the morning.

From other reviews I read that Omni Royal Crescent’s bathrooms were small and there were only half-size glass doors that failed to keep the water to the showers or bathtubs. That was NOT the case in the huge marble bathroom of the Junior Suite. We had a big bathtub with a powerful jacuzzi and double shower curtains. The bathroom was SOOO big that you could actually put a dining table in the middle. The vanity countertop was over 8 feet long!!

The location of Omni Royal Crescent was excellent and we felt quite safe walking back to the hotel from the French Quarter at night as there were other pedestrians on the streets too (Sheraton & La Quinta were just round the corner). It’s only a 10-minute walk from Bourbon Street. Most of the streets in the French Quarter and Central Business District (where Omni located) were washed and cleaned early every morning, but the smell of garbage on basically all streets in the French Quarter was terrible. We were glad we did not stay in the French Quarter as I needed to use my asthma puffer every morning when walking in the French Quarter before 9 a.m.

Walking to Café du Monde was only about 10-15 minutes and we had no trouble getting a seat for 2 of the mornings that we went before 9 a.m. Their beignets were excellent and delicious (way better than a lot of our donuts here in Canada) but I found the café au lait too milky. If you don’t want to have beignets, sorry, just get a drink as there was no other food choice. One morning we had breakfast at Daisy Dukes (only $3.99 before 9 a.m.) on Charters which was a 5-minute walk from the hotel.

From New Orleans’ tourism website www.neworleanscvb.com I was redirected to get some fantastic restaurant coupons and was able to use $5 to buy a $25 gift certificate. You need to do some homework and specify which restaurant it's for. On some days you could get them for $2 - a $23 discount! Just be careful that they do have a minimum charge and only 1 certificate could be used per table per party per month. I also bought a New Orleans Entertainment Book for less than $20 and we got lots of 2-for-1 coupons for great attractions like Steamboat Natchez, museums and Grayline tours (the Hurricane tour, Laura Plantation tours & swamp tours are must-dos). There were also some coupons in the New Orleans Official Visitor Guide 2011 that you could get for free. We saved over $300 on food and sightseeing in 4 days.

New Orleans is a great place full of history and life and we would definitely stay at Omni Royal Crescent if we are to visit the “Mardi Gras World” again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni Royal Crescent, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Thanks for choosing to make us your home away from home on your visit to New Orleans. It sounds like you saw a lot during your four day stay. We hope you'll come back and explore more of the city in the future and we hope you'll stay with us when you do. Safe travels.
Ethel, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for her birthday. We absolutely enjoyed it! The service was exceptionally well.Since I had joined their Select Member program when I made the reservation, we were upgraded to the Omni suite! The bed was comfortable and the views were amazing! The bathroom was marble and large enough for 2 people to get ready in.

There is 1 and only 1 problem: there is a goofy glass half-door for the shower that doesn't keep much water in the tub.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for choosing to celebrate your wife's birthday with us. We're glad you had such a great stay and we hope you'll come back next year to celebrate again. It's great to hear we lived up to our reputation.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed at this hotel back in December and have to say that it is a great hotel in a great location. It is in a quieter area of New Orleans but not a far walk from all the main attractions. The staff was very friendly at and greeted us each time we walked through the lobby. We were given a complimentary upgrade upon check-in and were surprised at the size of the room compared to other accommodations in New Orleans. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stayed at the Omni Royal Crescent. The location is great - 2 blocks to the French Quarter, but still quiet. The only complaint was the room's window faced a wall. However, this did make the room very quiet at night. What set the hotel apart was the service of the front desk - they truly wen out of their way to make our stay fantastic

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
We're sorry your view wasn't more impressive, but we're so glad to hear that you enjoyed the service of our front desk staff. We hope you'll join us again next time you visit New Orleans.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed for 3 days following Mardi Gras 2011. The room was small but comfortable and cozy. The beverage service was excellent and the staff was courteous. The water pressure in the shower could scour your dirtiest dishes clean! I think the best part was the heated rooftop pool. The lookout point has the most amazing views of the city. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Stayed here for 10 nights from 02/20-03/02 while in town for work.

Now, lets get the good out of the way first...

-The location is great. Easy access in and out and away from the busy Bourbon Street crowd.
-Restaurant Staff was friendly and nice, food was decent, check it out, Dress It was good... little over priced for the quality, but nonetheless, it did the trick.
- Housekeeping was great! It was 3 days in before I realized that the mardi gras beads on the door handle was the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign...LOL... But all and all, they were top notch housekeepers and I rewarded them generously daily... Coffee in the room was great!!!

Now to the mix feelings... While I won't say these things are bad, I am still up in the air on them.

- Front Desk Staff- I never got that "welcomed" feeling from them. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, which was for 10 days... Not one person stood out or made me feel like I was welcomed. Friendly for the most part, but mostly ignored as I came and went throughout the almost 2 weeks I was there.

-Hotel Room- While I booked this room on a 3rd party site, I paid over $1500 for the 10 days and was suppose to have a deluxe room. The room I was in may have been a "deluxe room" but it was a standard 4 star hotel room, nothing deluxe about it. Window was small, well regular size, but half of it was covered by a wall with a 6 inch opening between the wall and window. The outside of the window was HORRIBLY Dirty. You could barely see out it was so dirty...I would suggest outdoor window cleaning soon to the Hotel GM. Bathroom was nice, towels were top quality and robe was a nice treat. All and all, not bad, but def. not "deluxe"

No Vending Machines or Front Desk Shoppe to purchase a soda at night time or a late night snack if you get the munchies. This is a HUGE thing with me. I don't care if I have to pay 4 dollars for a 20oz soda, I want access to one at 1am if I get thirsty. If you don't wont vending machines in your hotel, create a Front Desk Shoppe or Gift Shop of some sorts like most upscale 4 star hotels have. Being thirsty and having to walk 3 blocks to an open store at 1am is NOT fun.

The Ice machine on our floor (7th floor) broke and leaked water out into the hallway, after 1 night going by, they finally decide to wetvac the floor at 9pm on one of the nights.. At 9pm? I am trying to work and be relaxed, not hear a machine with a loud motor directly outside my door.

Elevators need some work.. They jerk a lot and for someone who hates elevators, a smooth ride up would be nice.

I am currently working a 5 month project here in New Orleans and staying at various hotels in 10 day increments because I can only go home for 2 days every 10.. I doubt I will rebook this hotel, mainly because I just didn't feel welcomed... It could have been because of my age or appearance or the fact I used a 3rd party site to book the room, who knows, but I just didn't feel welcomed, and that is a huge thing for me.

Don't use the over priced hotel parking here in New Orleans either, if you don't mind a 2-3 block walk, you can find decent parking for much less. I parked 3 blocks away for $10 bucks over night, versus the $30+ for overnight hotel parking. (It is not just this hotel, it is all of them...LOL)

One more thing, Unless you want to pay for the Wifi, just sign up for Omni Select and you get it free. I despise ALL hotels who charge for WiFi... I am elite with Hilton and SPG, so like Omni, you get it free... Make sure you sign up before checking out and you can get the wifi at no charge!

This Hotel would rank in the Top 10 of the hotels I have stayed at here in New Orleans, but def. not the top 5.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
We’re sorry that our staff didn’t make you feel more comfortable during your two week stay with us. We certainly strive to make sure all our guests feel welcome from the second they arrive until they depart, and we’re sorry we didn’t make you feel the same way. We will certainly take a look at the windows and try to schedule a cleaning of the whole building. While we don’t have vending machines or a sundry shop, we do have 24 hour room service and are happy to bring you any beverage or late night snacks that you might need. We’re sorry we didn’t make your top 5, but we hope you might stay with us again and give us another chance to impress you with the service we’re capable of delivering.

Been to The Omni Royal Crescent? Share your experiences!