“Best New Orleans Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #9 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Best New Orleans Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I stayed in the Hotel Monteleone with 2 friends from July 17-20. We are in our late 20s and loved the historic feel of the hotel and distinguished touches (chandeliers, classic books, etc).

Location: Possibly the best location in the French Quarter. Very safe area. Close to Canal Street and trolley stop, but on same street as famous French Quarter antique shops and restaurants. Easy walk to Bourbon Street and Jackson Square, but far enough so you didn't get the stench and noise. We were able to walk the entire French Quarter handily from this hotel, and it was a stone's throw away from Harrah's and the central business district.

Hotel amenities: The hotel is gorgeous. Every corner of the lobby is breathtaking. The Carousel bar in the lobby is hands-down a New Orleans gem. Bartenders were some of the best in the business and the experience of slowly revolving while socializing is great! Free peanut mix and fun oldies music too! Elevators worked just fine, and had no issues with check-in/check-out. They even let me check in very early. Hotel pool is on roof with pretty cool views. The decor on the roof is much nicer than most hotels, great lounge chairs, free towels, and a great bartender making reasonably priced and yummy drinks! One complaint is that the pool needed more frequent cleaning, and the water temperature in the pool was rather warm (esp considering the air temperature is over 90 degrees!). So not exactly refreshing but the whole pool deck was great.

Hotel room: Very decent size for a downtown hotel in any city. Large clean, bathroom, safe that was free to use, a chandelier in the ceiling! Beds were pretty soft for my taste, but not a big deal. We were on the 12th floor (we heard the 10th floor was haunted!).

Service: I don't understand the bashing of the hotel staff on this site. Either those reviewers were there during an overcrowded festival weekend that would overwhelm ANY hotel staff or they are simply exaggerating. The service was great (with the exception of room cleaning sometimes getting delayed). Doormen, bell staff, front desk, all wonderful.

We all agreed we would definitely stay there again and it is probably one of our favorite hotels in the world (and I've stayed at the Hilton and Doubletree in NOLA, as well as Westins, Hiltons and Ws all over the world).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
Olympia, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Hotel was decent and close to everything. Room was small, but worked fine for what we needed. Roomed seemed clean, and bathroom was nice. We got the room for $99 through Travelzoo. Seemed like a really good deal. Hotel staff was neither rude nor overly friendly. Wifi was offered at a fee. Valet parking was $30/day. Only drawback was that the hallway reaked of marijuana, and was a little loud in the middle of the night with people returning to their room. I guess that is all to be expected in New Orleans. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
clearwater, fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Preferred-king rooms are in fact often smaller than standard king - not worth the price of the upgrade.
Any promises the staff give at time of reservations, check - in, or any other interaction are likely not to be communicated with anyone else. We had 4 different occasions where staff members didn't follow through on their word. And management was just as bad. They just don't seem to get the concept of customer service that one expects in a nice hotel.
On the other hand, the location is great. It's within walking distance of almost everything, yet removed from the noise and stench and traffic that befouls many other N.O. hotels.
If you want an average sized, clean room in a great location, and don't mind fending for yourself when it comes to service, then you'll find the Monteleone acceptable. If you are at home in the Ritz Carlton, then stay away from here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I am a seasoned international traveler for both business and pleasure and I have *never* experienced anything near the egregious customer service that I received at this hotel. My greatest shock was that the managerial staff were exceedingly uncooperative and hostile, while other employees seemed fine and actually embarrassed by their behavior. It is unfortunate that my experience was so negative because the hotel is well located, has many amenities and is historically charming. However, I will never stay at this hotel again and I will tell all my friends and colleagues to do the same.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

When getting ready to book my hotel for Essence Festival I was very aprehensive on choosing the Hotel Monteleone because no one really knew it. Reluctantly I did anyways because all the big hotels were booked...and Im glad they were!

We drove to the hotel so when we approached the Hotel Garage the people there were so quick in getting our luggage out and getting us the parking ticket for our car A+
We then stood in line for about 5 min (the line was long because of the festival) when we got to the front our room wasnt ready (we got there around 9am) so they told us that they would call us when it was ready but instead of carring ou luggage everywhere the bell hop (yes they are old school and I LOVED IT) came and got our luggage and stored it for us as we walked around til the room was ready...so of course we went to Bourbon because of the close proximity :-) . Got a couple of drinks then two hours later they called like they said and the room was ready

We go to the room and I warned the girls that they room might not be big BUT our intensions are just to sleep in there not to live...I opened the door and WHOA! The room was MUCH more bigger than some tripadvisors said...I had gotten a King size bed room and it was big enough to fit a cot in there (there were 4 women in the room)

The next day we went to the rooftop pool (GORGEOUS) although the pool could of been a little cleaner it was still cool enough to sit in. We then grab some drinks and food while we were up there (VERY GOOD PRICES).

Later that night before heading to the concert we hit the carousel bar and that was too cute and the bartenders were very quick and helpful

The gentleman in the front of the hotel was always there with a smile and greeted us EVERYTIME...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this hotel, I appreicate the feel of old New Orleans then the corporate smug of it...Def going back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Newport Beach, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I am currently at the Hotel Monteleone as I write this. It is late Sunday afternoon (4:00) and I am trying to send a business package. I have been downstairs THREE TIMES trying to find a bellman (because apparently they're the only ones who can send packages) to send this for me. This last time I waited 20 minutes and saw NO ONE. Oh, and our room still hasn't been made up and it's 4;00 in the afternoon. I have asked for the concierge for numerous recommendations -- every one she gives me is some tourist trap with I really long line-- then she tells me to look up menus on-line! The porters out front don't open the door for you, they just stand around and talk. I usually stay at a Ritz or Four Seasons when I'm traveling, and took this on the recommendation of a friend because it was a "better location." What a mistake.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL - USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Enjoyed a 4 night stay at the end of May. Second time as a guest of the Hotel Monteleone and have always found it to be a grand property and in a PERFECT location...just steps from Bourbon Street and the great little shops on Royal Street.

Nice, fresh looking room with an air-conditioner that could really cool down the place; however, the weather was so unusually nice (read dry and in the 70s) that we didn't spend a lot of time in the room this trip. The room-darkening blinds are a plus for an afternoon nap.

The breakfast buffet (main restaurant, along with an ala carte menu) had me coming back for biscuits and gravy every day. The Carousel bar is a great place to meet for a drink. I have other friends and relatives in the area that visit the Carousel bar so the combination of locals and tourists is fun. Where else can you find a revolving carousel bar?

The hotel feels like it is just bursting with history - and it is. Add to that the seasoned staff members that know much about the property and the city and you can't go wrong. Even if you are not staying here, stop in and take a look.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!