“A Lovely Old World Hotel w/ Wonderful Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #10 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York, NY
“A Lovely Old World Hotel w/ Wonderful Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

My girlfriend and I checked in on July 1st and out on July 5th for the Essence Music Festival 2009. This was our 3rd stay in New Orleans, but 1st at Monteleone Hotel. I am a very faithful and loyal Trip Advisor contributor and user, but I sometimes wonder about the reviews written. I'm a New Yorker from birth and we, New Yorkers, can be extremely demanding w/ high expectations at times in regards to fast and prompt service.

I write all of that to state, I think many of the reviews I read on this hotel a few months ago in prep for choosing a hotel are very unreasonable, to state the least!

Based on the previous reviews, we were so worried about the size of the rooms, that we booked several rooms based on the reviews about the lack of space. That was unnecessary, if you request a large room, they will accomodate. For such a large festival, and the volume of guests, they placed us appropriately according to group size.
So our 4 friends from Massachusetts, were placed in a very large room, Room #459, and my friend and I were placed in Room #440, great for no more than 2 people and maybe a small child.

In regards to the service in the hotel, I felt that it was up to par with a 4.5 Star hotel. At the rooftop pool, the young men constantly cleaned the water, and re-arranged the towels after other guests left. They were prompt with the drink orders and food service. The fitness gym was up to date with fairly new equipment and was clean.
The spa services were fairly reasonable compared to NY prices, and the spa staff, Jennifer and Marie, were very lovely. Our housekeeper, Marisol, was wonderful! She even cleaned our room one day way later than she should have b/c we had the privacy sign on the door until 1pm. Anything we called housekeeping/guest services for, we received promptly! We called and asked if it was ok to remove the items in the mini-bar so that we could store our food, and they explained, as I had thought, that we would be charged, so they offered to bring up to our room a mini-fridge! That was a wonderful touch b/c it's so hot & steamy down there, that we were always in need of cold beverages. And Randy, the Doorman, was excellent, and was always happy to assist us in hailing a taxi.

By the way, the hotel AC was always kicking! Our room was always cold, sometimes too cold, but I'd rather have that as opposed to not enough AC!

The Carousel bar was wonderful! The drinks were strong and reasonable, $6 for a Tom Collins! The piano singer was hilariously fun and accomodating of special requests! Parker, the bartender is a Rock Star!

I was so nervous about eating at Le Cafe for breakfast b/c of the extremely picky reviews!
But I must say, that for $15.50/person, the food was great! The omlette station, and the menu was above standard. For the great taste, quality, and service in Le Cafe, I would have expected to pay at least $25 or more. I kept going to Harrah's for the breakfast buffet, which is great, but the hour long line sucks! So for basically the same price I could have spared the heat and lengthy wait, and eaten downstairs.
Thanks to my fellow extra picky Trip Advisors, I missed out on breakfast @ Le Cafe everyday of my trip until the last b/c I was so wary!! Unwarranted and Unnecessary!

I know that we're in a recession, but don't be so cheap and picky, if you thought that this was expensive, then maybe you should be staying at the Hampton Inn, Travelodge, Motel 6.

I'm not discriminating, b/c I have stayed at all types of motels/hotels nationial/international, and you get what you pay for.

During a large festival or convention, the larger chain hotels suck b/c of the sheer volume. The taxi stand looks like a block party! The W is overrated in NOLA, the rooms are small, the rate is awful, and folks stay there strictly to be seen and see others! They don't even have a Bliss Spa there! The Loews was an option, based on other Loews that we've stayed at, but the rate was really high, and it wasn't in the French Quarter. The Provincial, Drury, and Homewood Suites are good as far as location on Poydras, if you have an event at the Superdome and you may want to walk! But all of the fun is in the French Quarter!

We ate at the Gumbo Shop, which must be a local spot, Court of Two Sisters, Praline Connection, Mother's, and Messina's at the Riverwalk mall! All were absolutely wonderful! In regards to the Cajun Creole Cuisine, us, Northerners/Yankees, are not used to: Everything being Fried, Multiple Carbs on 1 Plate (biscuits, grits, fries, and bread), lack of a Pork alternative like Turkey/Beef Bacon & Sausages, and lack of Salads! LOL! We love it, it's like a guiltless food holiday, that's what makes NOLA special, but everyone was feeling the lack of ruffage/fiber!

My only negative criticism of this hotel, is that there seemed to be several meal trays in the hallways during the late nite. I assume that this was due to a lack of late night service. One night I called to inform guest services at 12:30 am that I counted 5 meal trays alone on the 4th floor, and they had someone come and pick them up! Problem solved.

From now on, unless the Trip advisor reviews are ablsolutely horrendous, this is our destination hotel for New Orleans, no need to look any further. Monteleone should be in the Top 10!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

The Montleone was an excellent choice since it was near the place where my business meeting took place and was also near the French Quarter and other New Orleans attractions. The price was very affordable, and the service of the staff was outstanding. The only minor complaints are no free internet and small rooms. The small rooms are to be expected in downtown NO, but the internet could be free to provide patrons an extra amenity. I would certianly stay here again and plan to do so on the next trip to the area.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Burlington, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I went with my husband and 20 year old daughter for a semi business pleasure trip. From the moment we stepped into the lobby we knew we had picked a good one. The front desk let us check in early and fortunately they had a room ready for us despite our change in room accomodations (going from 2 to 3 people) at the last minute. The hotel was absolutely beautiful throughout. Even though an older hotel you never "smelled" the old hotel smell. The rooms were a bit small but the beds were very comfy and the room spotless. The pool was very warm but it has been particularly hot and muggy and it's on the 16th floor with a fabulous view of the city. It's right in the french quarter so it's good walking distance for alot of things. The bar is exceptional - its a carousel bar that actually turns a complete revolution every 15 minutes. The drinks were the best in town. (Go Marvin!). We booked through GTA hotels and got a great room rate of $125/night. The only complaint is that coffee isn't available for takeout before 7 am (and I had a conference earlier than that). You can make it in your room but no take out cups! We'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights. My extended family also stayed here as my cousin was having her wedding reception here as well. We had a rate of $129 per night for a standard King room. All in all, we were very happy here.

The room is small, as we knew from reading reviews. We understood this as common in the French Quarter, and while we were a bit cramped, it was fine. The bathroom had good counter space, the shower had good pressure, and was all clean.

The rooftop pool was excellent! The bartender was very nice. The pool attendent was always running around, getting drinks and changing out towels. One morning, the hotel set up a table with coffee and we brought bengiets and fruit from Cafe Bengiet. It was a perfect breakfast.

We also sent to the Carousel Bar a few evenings. It was usually packed, so sometimes we could not get a table. As we were a larger family group, this was disapointing, so we went to a hotel bar down the street. But, when went as a couple, it worked out fine.

The staff is frequently mentioned in these reviews, and rightly so. All were very friendly and always had a smile and hello.

All in all, perfect location in the FQ (walking distance to it all). We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We chose the Hotel Monteleone for a recent trip based on a friend’s suggestion, and we were not disappointed. We had never been to New Orleans, and the hotel was one of the most pleasant, memorable aspects of our trip. We arrived an hour early, and our room was ready, so we were able to check in. The desk clerk, Toya, was friendly and helpful, giving us many details about the hotel layout and services. The garage/parking attendants were also friendly and helpful.

The hotel was absolutely beautiful with a gorgeous, lavish lobby. Our bellhop, Ricky, was friendly, charming, and helpful, offering lots of useful information and his services at any time we needed him. Concierge was also warm, welcoming and helpful in giving local restaurant advice.

Our executive suite was spacious, clean and offered nice touches—robes, immaculately folded towels and bathroom accessories, and charming décor. We discovered we had forgotten toothpaste when we arrived. I called downstairs to ask if I could buy it in the hotel, and I was told someone would bring some right up. Within minutes, it arrived. I even received a follow-up call to make sure we had received it. When our room was cleaned by the maid service, my clothes I left on the bedroom bench were tidied up! Everything was replaced (soaps, toiletries, coffee, etc). There were always plenty of towels, linens etc. We even returned one afternoon after a long, hot day of sight-seeing to find our robes laid out across our bed!!! Now that’s luxury! Although we didn’t request a room with a view, our suite looked down on St. Louis Cathedral/Jackson Square, the river, and the French market.

The revolving carousel bar was fun, and the piano bar performer was delightful. The bartenders, however, were not as attentive as they could have been. They should have served us a little more quickly instead of focusing all their attention on other patrons.

The hotel location was outstanding, within walking distance to everything we wanted to see. It was quiet as well. The doormen were helpful and friendly, and we always greeted us with a smile. The in-room safe was convenient, as well as the bar, although all items were expensive.

As a final positive note, I felt extremely safe in this hotel.

Of course, not everything can be perfect, although the Monteleone came close. The TVs were outdated. At this price point, I expected flat screen TVs. The cable reception was poor as well.

All staff were friendly and courteous; however, there was one exception. I asked a maid how to get to the rooftop pool, and, as she left her cleaning duties to walk us down the hall to the elevator, I heard her say “Aye-yi-yi-yi-yi.” NOT good customer service.

Aside from these few negative notes, the Hotel Monteleone was perfect, and we plan to return in the spring. It was a delightful stay in a lovely, warm, elegant hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

I just stayed at the Monteleone for 4 nights. I had booked a regular King room, but upon reading about some very small rooms on TripAdvisor, I called the hotel and they kindly upgraded me to a Preferred King with a river view upon check-in. Even this room wasn't large by any means, but it was very pleasant and more importantly, the bathroom was quite large with plenty of counter space.Water pressure in the shower is excellent--if you have ever stayed anywhere in New Orleans you likely know that it is rare to get decent pressure.
The room was very clean and the staff attentive and courteous. I would definitely stay here again.
I also had an excellent treatment at the spa (Jetlag package). The spa is small but clean and well-run.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Europe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I stayed recently in Monteleone. Is there something good at the hotel yes. The location is actually really good. In the very French Quarter, you are practicly one block away from the Bourban street.

But the hotel, the stuff and the atmosphere is really really bad. It feels like a cheap 1* hostel. Although shiny from the outside! The rooms are really old. The air conditioning extremely old. The furniture awful. Thin walls, so that you can hear everything and everyone your neighbour is doing. The lobby is really shiny and the last floor is nice, but it is not enough to compensate for the overpriced hotel. There are many better places in NOLA.
I would never book a room again in Monteleone!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!