“Lovely Old World Charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bakersfield, CA
“Lovely Old World Charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

I was in New Orleans attending a conference and did not have a choice in which hotel I stayed. This hotel turned out to be ideal. It is an older hotel with a lot of charm and character (I usually go for the more modern hotel when I travel in American cities). The location is perfect too, right in the middle of the French Quarter - a couple of minutes to walk to Bourbon St but just far enough away from the noise. The street itself has several good restaurants, gift shops, coffee shops etc. I walked to the famous "Cafe Du Monde" easily from here. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — Comfort, charm, convenience
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
Baton Rouge, LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

This letter is to inform you of our negative experience with the hotel’s valet service. Upon receiving our vehicle from valet, we were making sure our belongings were still there. We discovered that the emergency cash that was hidden in my car was missing. Only a person that put a lot of effort into digging through my car could have found this hiding place. After speaking with the transportation director he informed us that the valet is not responsible for our vehicle. We tried to self park the car upon arriving to the hotel but we were told we had no choice but to valet. This makes us suspicious that the hotel may condone the act of theft and possibly even promote the valets to thoroughly search each car to “see what they can find” as a “bonus”. Although the manager spoke with us he did not seem very concerned at getting to the bottom of the situation. He seemed more concerned about getting us out of the lobby as to not cause a seen in front of other guest. After speaking with several other people from Baton Rouge about our experience, we were told other horror stories concerning Hotel Monteleone’s valet service that had taken place this Mardi Gras as well as for the Kenny Chesney concert just a few months ago. You can be assured that we will never return to this hotel and will be spreading the word to as many people as possible about our experience and the experiences we have learned about from our friends concerning your hotel. To add insult to injury we had to pay $30 for valet to rob us.

• Liked — It was a nice hotel and nice location.
  • Disliked — Absolutely horrible valet service. Took forever to get the car parked and had items stolen out of car.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Overall, a good hotel and a great location, but I was not totally happy with my stay because of issues with my room and the way they were handled.

First, the good - The location is excellent. The hotel is located in the heart of the french quarter area -- very close to Burbon St., nice restaurants, bars, etc. The lobby is nice with plenty of places to sit.

The front desk staff I interacted with was mediocre at best. I had questions about some of the well known establishments in the area, and they either had no clue what I was talking about or gave me completely wrong information about the location.

Here is the bad. It pertains to the particular room I was in, so I would not say this is representative of the whole hotel. However, the service I received may be moreso. I went to use the sink in my bathroom, and there was no cold water. The handle wouldn't turn. I called the front desk, and they said they'd send someone right up. I left the room for a few hours, and when I returned, I noticed the sink still wasn't working. I called the front desk again and explained that nobody had been to my room yet, and it had been a couple of hours. He said he would take care of that right away. I again left the room to enjoy the town some more. When I returned again a few hours later, still nobody had been to my room. So, I called and requested a manager. I explained the situation to the manager and how this was my 3rd attempt to address the problem, and he said it was the first he'd heard of it. He was going to contact the maintenance guy immediately. I explained that I was going out again, and confirmed that I did not need to be in my room. When I returned later, there was a voice mail on my phone. (The manager said he'd leave voice mail with the results.) He said the maintenance man was unable to fix this issue. He said they were sold out, so I couldn't be moved to another room. He said that as a gesture of good will, he would leave 2 breakfast coupons for me at the front desk. The only other thing that was wrong with my room was that it was very warm and I didn't see a way to cool it. There was a thermostat on the wall, which was set at 55, but it was way warmer than that. I did mention this at check out the next morning to the front desk staff and to a manager (not the same one I'd spoken with the night before). The other issue that happened was when I went to check out and get my breakfast voucher. The front desk said they had no record of my issue or voucher. They called the manager, who did come down and agree to comp my breakfast.

I booked my room through Orbitz, so I don't think there was anything they could do as far as refunding some of my money.

• Liked — Location -- Close to everything
  • Disliked — Customer Service regarding issues with my room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

Booked a "Preferred King" as part of a small group, had a personal email confirming my rate, room type, and checkin details. When I was presented with a paper to initial that said "Traditional King", I asked why and was told they were "Updating" their website and this was the "new" name for the "Preferred" room. Got to the room, called my office to check in and explained what had happened, they volunteered to call the hotel and ask what the difference between the rooms was. As it turns out, I had been checked into a lower caliber room that should have been $30 cheaper. I returned to the front desk, and they were "gracious" enough to change the rate to what the room rents for that I was placed in, claiming they had "overbooked", all an honest mistake. Sounds somewhat plausible so far? Well, another member of our group checked in next to me, he had booked the lower level "Traditional King", and asked to be upgraded to the same room we had contracted for our group, the "Preferred King" at $30 more. They "graciously" agreed to allow him to do so, and charged him the $30 extra. But rather than check him into a "Preferred King", they placed him in the exact same room he had originally booked, no upgrade whatsoever, just scamming him out of $30 per...

If someone did this to you out on a street somewhere, the police would arrest them, beware, and consider bring the police with you to check in if you want to actually get what you are paying for...

On the bright side, we had catered food and beverage service at our business meetings that was absolutely top shelf, with an impeccable staff...these folks deserve a 5 star rating, absolutely superb presentation, quality, and service.

So...if you make it past the horse thieves at the front desk, you will be in for a rare treat when you eat...

• Liked — Catered meals were incredible...
  • Disliked — Con artists at the front desk and TV did not work...
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greensboro,NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

The Hotel Monteleone is perfectly located in the French Quarter, just one block from Bourbon Street and close to Canal and the River area. I spent two nights at the hotel during a business convention.

The hotel is historic and there is a sense of old-world style as you enter the premises. The lobby is nice without being too elaborate. The staff was mostly friendly and helpful.

The rooms are spreadout through about 14 floors and, as most older city hotels, there are lots of hallways. I suspect the size of the room depended a bit on which hallway you were on. My room was not very big ... except for the bathroom. However the bathroom space was not used very well. There was marble throughout the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. There was a small desk with wired internet and the entertainment center doubled as a closet. TV was not great ... but your are not in New Orleans for the TV.

Did not eat in the restaurants. But the main one (Hunt Room Grill) looked nice. The bar is unique as the stools rotate like a carousel. We ate at K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen a few blocks away which was excellent.

The workout room was not very big but the machines were new and in great shape.

As mentioned, the location is perfect and not overrun with Bourbon Street party-goers. If you are looking for a New Orleans experience, this is close enough to the craziness yet upscale and quiet on its own.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

I stayed here for a week in November for business and was very pleased. The location couldn't have been more convenient.
In the heart of the French Quarter on Royal St. convenient to restaurants, shopping, antique galleries etc. When I first checked in, my room was very small and overlooking some very unattractive roofs plus tv didn't work. So the guy that came up to try to fix the tv told me if I wasn't happy with my room I should ask for another one.
Thank god I did. The room they switched me to was much bigger and overlooking the river. The only issue was the bathroom which was rather small. The staff was very helpful. Especially the doormen. David and Frederick to be specific. Very knowledgeable about places to eat. No real issues except the phone charges are ridiculous. They charge 80 or 90 cents for every local call. Needless to say I used my cellphone. Also charge for internet access if u want to use their DSL or Wifi. For the most part I recommend the Monteleone and would stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Charges for phone and automatic mini bar
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rogers, AR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

- Great Location
- Good Bar in hotel
- Medicore concierge service. Not very knowledgeable
- Not worth the $200 dollars a night. Cheaper hotels with same amenities just two blocks away

• Liked — Hotel Bar; location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!