“Beautiful hotel, great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130-2201 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #10 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Spring, Texas
“Beautiful hotel, great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Always a pleasant experience. Love that it is steps away from all the French Quarter has to offer. The staff is exceptional, helpful, and greets guests by name. Easy access to parking (valet only), but once in the Quarter, there is no need for your car.

Room Tip: Highly recommend splurging for the spacious corner suites.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Monteleone and took the time to share your great experience with TripAdvisor. It sounds like the perfect trip! Please return soon to the Hotel Monteleone for another great trip!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and I have traveled widely internationally and stayed at many fine hotels and the Monteleone rates as one of the best. From the front desk service to the concierge service (Anita) to the barman in the Carousel we received outstanding service (even how to make a Cognac Sazerac - since I am allergic to Rye whiskey). The location is near perfect within walking distance of everything you would need or, as in my wife's case, if you cannot walk more than a block, you will still be able to get around with the pedi-cycle (bicycle-rickshaw) service costing a dollar per block per person. Mr B's (Brennan) Bistro is across the street and a variety of other wonderful eateries (eg Acme Oysters) are not much further from the hotel front door. Our room was on the 12th floor and very quiet.

Room Tip: If you can plan to visit between Thanksgiving and Christmas you can enjoy Reveillon in New Orleans w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments about the luxury service you received at the Hotel Monteleone! We aim to provide each guest with the same luxurious experience you described. Please come back and visit us soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I was at the hotel for a business trip and I wasn't so happy with it....I kept waking up in the middle of the night because I would hear the other room's doors slamming. No sound proof at all.. I was at the 9th floor but my friend was at the 2nd and he could hear everything that would go on in the streets! Also one of the lady at the front desk gave us wrong directions to get to a cafe'.. just disappointed! Also nothing is included and you are even scared to watch tv in case they might charge you! Didnt like it!

Room Tip: High floors!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone.
I am truly sorry that you did not receive the kind of service we are capable of providing and which you deserve. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our management team.

At your next visit, at the time of check in and if availability permits, if your room is not satisfactory please let the staff know and we will help you switch to a room more of your liking that may be in a more quiet area of the hotel.

It is our wish to offer our guests comfortable accommodations with particular emphasis on personal attention. Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that I sincerely apologize.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Very nice hotel right in the French Quarter. Nice restaurant but the big attraction is the Carousel Bar, a bar that actually rotates while you sit there . Be sure to try the Vieux Carre cocktail. Also has a rooftop pool worth checking out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a kind review. So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate the recommendation!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I'll start by saying we went during the start of the holiday time-a time when there are a ton of industry events, Christmas parties etc. The hotel was hopping night and day-to the point you had to navigate through the bar to avoid the gridlock in the lobby. The doormen are wonderful. George, I think, helped me find a private car driver who I had hired before-with 3C transportation. They are always helpful on directions.
We had a corner room last year which was probably twice as big as this year- room 647. The bathrooms are neatly appointed but I felt like I was dressing in a airplane bathroom- very little counterspace and I kept dropping stuff in the bathtub or toilet ! Close the lid dummy. The shower/tub is roomy but I guess there's not much you can do about this. The bed was super comfy and the linens are very soft. I didn't eat there but the restaurant was always packed. I felt safe. If you forget anything, go next door to Walgreen's but it does not stay open 24 hours. The hotel is close to everything, really. Walk to Bourbon, or south to Harrah's (stay on main streets) or the warehouse district or even Jackson square- a bit longer but they have those surreys (sp?) now. DON'T WEAR NICE HEELS because the streets are old and worn. I dressed formal, wore boots to walk to the event and changed into heels at the place ! We love this hotel because it's so familiar to us now.

Room Tip: Don't go streetside of you are a light sleeper but go for the windows if you want to soak in all...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
We sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your time joining us in December. We'd love to have you back for another luxurious stay at the Hotel Monteleone!
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed for one night.
I would not recommend this hotel if you are driving. The location is fantastic, but there is heavy traffic. We stopped in front of the hotel, and the rude doorman sent us to one of their garages. The rude attendant at the garage gave us misinformation, and sent us away. We decided to go do some other things and check in later.
About three hours later, a different doorman was in front of the hotel. He was welcoming and helpful.
Our rate was around $440, and our room was a beautiful, large suite. The bathroom was small-ish but nice.
It took a very long time - 30 minutes - to get our car from the garage. Again, the area is congested. The daily parking was nearly $40 plus tips.
The service is spotty - the hotel operator hung up on me when I asked for the front desk. But most of the staff are very friendly.
I might return if we are without a car. But if we have a car, we will stay somewhere with easier access.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

I regret to hear about the troubles you received with our parking garage and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.
Tri-Cities, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

My first few hours of my stay were a frustrating nightmare. I travel out of state for work a few times a year, and find myself to be pretty easy going. It started when I got a room with TWO adjoining rooms (one on each side). As a woman traveling alone, the first thing I did was check the locks. One of the doors was not only unlocked, but would not lock without a key. I had planned on dropping my bags and heading to the convention center-- Had I done so, there could have been someone waiting in my room when I returned! Next, a big maintenance man came in without knocking, not realizing there was a guest in the room. While he was in fixing the lightbulb he came for, he told me he fixed the door lock but DID NOT. So troubling. When I went into the restroom to get a tissue, there were pink spots all over the toilet seat.

By this time, it was too late to get to the convention center and I felt unsafe and not wanting to touch anything, fearing it had not been cleaned. They did change my room, and after a long walk hall after hall, I did enjoy my new room much more. However, there were still a few problems (dirt on the bathtub wall, that looked like a shoe print, TV picture would freeze every few seconds).

I had more problems with room service-- It took an hour to receive one caesar salad that originally came with chicken instead of shrimp, and then with a diet coke instead of a coke. (The lady tried to convince me I'd ordered the diet coke, which I would never do because I think diet is disgusting). The order had billing problems, to boot.

My brother also stayed there and got a room with a view of a brick wall from top to bottom from his window. Felt very claustrophobic.

Pros: Great location, impressive entryway, fun carousel bar, rooftop pool, my second room had a chandelier and felt a lot nicer than my first. I think this hotel is considered very nice for New Orleans, but just that-- "for New Orleans."

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!