“Still Our Favorite!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130-2201 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Summer Promotional Rates
Ranked #11 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Oxford, Mississippi
“Still Our Favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Our fifth stay at the Monteleone in as many years did not disappoint. Robert, who greeted us upon arrival, was welcoming and charming (Robert, if you read this, I hope you enjoyed the oatmeal cookie from your Oxford guests!). Our view from the 14th floor overlooking the Quarter toward the river was spectacular. Darren, our bell hop, was gracious and helpful. Room was clean and comfortable and equipped with everything we needed. We particularly enjoyed the mini refrigerator that kept our travel food cool during our stay. When we asked for a box fan (we cannot sleep without white noise), one was delivered promptly (thank you!). All staff were friendly and helpful. As usual, the Carousel Bar was packed and full of energy and excitement. For fun, hospitality, location, and charm, you simply can’t beat the Monteleone!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Sounds like a wonderful trip! So pleased to hear such praise for our staff. We look forward to having you back at the Hotel Monteleone!

2,691 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is the first time I have posted a review on Tripadvisor. I travel frequently to New Orleans for work and have stayed at every nice hotel in New Orleans but this was my first experience and last at Hotel Monteleone.

I was in New Orleans for a conference and stayed for 2 nights and 3 days. I checked in on a sunday night and when i entered my hotel room and surprised that it was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. (even smaller than a hotel in Tokyo, NYC or San Francisco). It was claustrophobic and very outdated in decor, but not the reason why i am posting this review.
The next morning, I awoke and went on my way to my work meetings. Throughout the day, my left hand ring finger - where i wear my engagement ring and wedding bands felt uncomfortable and started itching. On the day that I was leaving, my hand had a red rash that itched terribly and it was spreading up my left arm. I am extremely clean and wash my hands over 10 times a day. I have never had anything like this happen and knew it wasn't a reaction to lotion or something cosmetic.

Every night while i stayed at the hotel, i would take my rings off and lay them on the marble vanity in the bathroom. I know this is what caused my rash/fungal infection since this didnt happen to my right hand or anywhere else.
When i checked out, i alerted the front desk that the room needs to be cleaned properly and i showed them my left hand and arm. It was red and had bumps all over it. They said sorry and would let the manager know and would have him contact me immediately.
When i returned home, i went to my doctors and my rash was tinea pedis or Athletes foot. Which is a highly contagious fungus that can be treated but spreads easily.
I never heard from the manager about this, so I called not once but 4 times! Every time I called i was directed to the front desk or the managers office and had to leave a message. Finally on my 5th phone call I was able to speak to the manager. He was very nice and apologized but had a condescending tone implying that it wasn't their fault and I must be dirty or something. I really was livid - after all of these phone calls and my doctors appointment and medication - now i am being talked down to. And to be very clear - I wasn't looking for anything free. I just wanted an apology and to let them know they need to clean out this specific room. At the end of the phone call he said he would refund one of my nights stay at the hotel. I stated that is a nice gesture and thanks. (side note - if anyone travels for business, as i do - any hotels or food or entertainment is expensed. But still it was a nice gesture.)

Fast forward to a week later and I still didn't receive a refund on my Credit card. So i called back (for the 6th time) and called the manager personally. He wasn't available, so I explained what happened to the personal assistant. She called me back after about 10 minutes and said that the manager never said he would refund anything and that they will send me a free night stay voucher for the future. Right, yeah that sounds just GREAT since maybe i can get another fungal infection for my right hand (sarcastic joke). I told her, No. I would never stay at this hotel again and don't appreciate their service, lies and fungal contamination.

I understand that this cant be proved that i got this rash/fungal infection at their hotel. But I am a honest person and know that it was from my room. I have never had a problem like this and know it was spread from my engagement ring/wedding bands to my left hand - ring finger.
I didnt want anything free, just an apology with no condescending tone and the matter to be responded to ASAP. I cant believe they pride themselves on service when i called their establishment over 5 times with no return call or anything. Then to add insult to injury - the manager took back his spoken agreement to refund my CC with one night stay.

I have spent over $80 on doctors copay and treatment for this infection. I have included a graphic picture of my left hand from just last week - this is the best my hand has looked in the past month. I still cant wear my engagement ring or wedding bands since my hand is tender and still using medication every day.

Please take my advise and stay somewhere else. There are too many amazing hotels in NOLA to even risk this issue.

Thanks for reading,

Sara

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Monteleone.

I truly regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and currently being reviewed by the management team.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.
Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The last time that I stayed at the Monteleone, we stayed in a two room suite, and I thought it was a good value and nice. This trip we stayed in a very small room with double beds. We have an infant and could barely fit her pack n play in the room. I've seen a larger bathroom in a RV. I called to ask if we could change rooms, but was told no. One day the room didn't get cleaned until 5pm, after I called. The restaurant and room service are about average and overpriced, so I wouldn't recommend them. The Carousel Bar and Lobby are beautiful and worth seeing, so I recommend just having a drink there and staying somewhere else in the French Quarter.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get a suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hotel Monteleone.

We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. The Hotel Monteleone is a historic property, and with that comes a unique floor plan with varying room sizes. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while still providing guests with a comfortable place to stay. Again, we apologize that you did not find this satisfactory but we do ask you to consider the nature of New Orleans' old buildings and the measures taken to modernize them while preserving their integrity.

Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that I sincerely apologize.

We value your patronage and hope that on your next visit to New Orleans you will allow us the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service you deserve.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Just got back from a week at the Hotel Monteleone. I stayed there almost a week during a conference, which was also at the hotel. Almost without exception, the Hotel Monteleone was fabulous. Great location, beautiful and historic facility, friendly staff, good place for a conference, excellent food, rooftop pool, rooftop gym, rooftop bar, etc.
So, the Hotel Monteleone is located one block from Bourbon Street and about a ten block walk from the French Market –just about perfect. New Orleans, and especially the area around the hotel, has a feeling of safety and comfort that puts you at ease to stroll the streets any time of day or night. There are numerous fine restaurants located nearby as well: NOLA, Deanies Seafood, and just too many others to name. There was nearly always someone across the street playing jazz or singing. The whole area just has a real nice feeling.
The hotel is an extraordinarily beautiful facility that’s been owned and run by the same family for some one-hundred and thirty years. The entrance to the hotel and most of the public areas in the hotel are white marble with beautiful crystal chandeliers. They’ve just completed a hotel-wide renovation so the place just sparkles.
The rooms are beautiful, with comfortable beds and well-functioning bathrooms. The bathrooms have all the amenities, including robes (I love having a robe when I’m away from home!). The hotel was full and my room was completely quiet at night. Housekeeping kept the room clean and neat all the while I was there. The one thing that I would change is the air conditioning system. It needs a better blower control. Aside from that minor complaint, the room was perfect.
The rooftop gym and pool facilities were also very well kept. The equipment all worked perfectly and the pool was heated just to the point where it wasn’t cold, but still cool. The view from the rooftop is spectacular and you can relax with a drink (at the bar on the rooftop) outside while looking at the Mississippi River and the town of New Orleans.
I’ve probably never encountered a more helpful and friendly staff. I was making reservations for numerous conference attendees and forgot to make a reservation for myself. Maray, one of the phone reservation assistants, was so helpful in correcting my mistake. I needed to change some of my reservations when I arrived and David, at the front desk, was also just extraordinary. He even offered that if I had any additional needs, he would be happy to help. The staff at the restaurant was lovely to both me and my guests. They made me feel like I was part of the Monteleone family.
The conference facilities were also very good. This, though, is where I would offer one suggestion to the Monteleone: Improve your Audio Visual offerings and support. The AV offerings were very expensive and not very impressive, and if you’re putting on a conference that really doesn’t work all that well. The AV staff was very well versed in the use of the equipment, but were a little too unconcerned about being on site at the right time and monitoring everything to make sure that it was not only working but working well.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are fine. I did not hear any complaints from any of the conferees concerning...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback regarding your time joining us in October. It sounds like a great way to spend a conference week. We'd love to have you back for another luxurious stay at the Hotel Monteleone - business or pleasure!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel! Friendly staff! Great rates! Fabulous food! Superb service! We moved over to this hotel from the Royal Sonesta because they didn't have the vacancies available to book with them for our entire stay in NOLA. This hotel was by far so much better. My wife wasn't feeling well the day we were to check out and thankfully they had vacancy so we extended our stay by two nights and we didn't want to leave! Definitely coming back here on the next stop in NOLA!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review! We look forward to your return to the Hotel Monteleone!
Elkton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel was perfect. Location, service, entertainment, food and bar. We couldn't have asked for more. The staff was attentive. Their recommendations were accurate. The Carousel Bar is worth a visit even if you don't stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't miss the live entertainment in their restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We're very pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with the Hotel Monteleone! Thank you for the recommendation!
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I admit in all my visits to NOLA, I have never sat at the actual carousel bar. I have watched many a Saturday football game in the rest of the bar, though. Pretty, friendly people all cheering for their favorite teams. While we where there, our small couch grouping changed four times. We met folks from Alabama, Ole Miss, A&M (boo!) LSU. Friendliest people in the world, all joined in their love for college football. In the lobby, multiple wedding parties were gathering and we even had a Second Line come through with one couple that just got married. The service was solid, the drinks well done. It's an event any time you are there but you can't miss a Saturday afternoon during football season.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
So happy to hear how you so enjoyed your time at the Carousel Bar. It is a very special place in New Orleans. We hope to see you for another spin soon!

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!