“Nice hotel with a few mishaps” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130-2201 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Papa Noel Promotion
Ranked #12 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Virginia Beach, VA
“Nice hotel with a few mishaps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Overall, I had a pleasant stay at Hotel Monteleone and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. I liked the location - close enough to the action, but not too close. Within walking distance of almost everything and being only 2-3 blocks from Jackson Square was a plus.

It became evident that I didn't read enough reviews regarding room location...and requesting a room with a view of the Mississippi. My room was on the 11th floor and faced a brick wall with windows (the other side of the hotel) - I couldn't see anything else, which was a bit of a disappointment...but again, I think if I requested a room with a view, I might have gotten one.

The room itself was very nice and well-equipped with everything you might need. Beds were very comfortable, towels soft, robes provided. It was very very clean (immaculate even) and I couldn't find anything that housekeeping missed.

Don't miss the rooftop pool - definitely worth a visit even if you don't plan on swimming. There is a lounge area to the side that allows you to relax with a book in private. And the bar serves cocktails for most of the day.

I only ate at the hotel restaurant once - for breakfast buffet - which was on the pricey side. No way I could eat $24 worth of breakfast. But the food and service was very good.

I did order room service one night and I would say it was one of the mishaps of my stay. Ordered a burger and they quoted a time of 45 minutes - about an hour later, I called and said it was one the way - it arrived about 20 minutes later. So total wait time for room service was well over an hour - which seemed a bit long, especially when you are hungry from sightseeing all day. I would recommend getting a burger at the bar rather than waiting for room service.

The other mishap was the fire alarm going off at 2:30 in the morning. It went off for about 20 minutes while someone from security banged on doors asking if anyone was smoking in their room. Then it went off again the next morning at 8:00 am. I received a letter under my door apologizing for the inconvenience.

The hotel was very busy, including the restaurants and bars. As a solo traveler, I didn't feel as safe as I normally do staying at a hotel because of the amount of people coming in and out. However, every staff person I encountered was very nice and helpful and overall I had a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room for a view if you want one!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your review of your recent visit to New Orleans and stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, accommodations and our rooftop pool area. Thank you for your feedback on room service delivery time. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our management team for review. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
Elkins Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

You can't beat the location of the Monteleone -- right in the heart of the French Quarter. Unfortunately, my wife & I were very disappointed with the bed.

We stayed in a King room which was cozy but offered enough room. The mattress I can only describe as "bouncy." It felt spring loaded. When either of us moved (rolling over in the night) the whole bed would shake. We woke each other up again and again.

Even if the bed was defective and not representative of the hotel, the rest of the bedding was lacking. The pillows were TINY. Smaller even than pillows you'd see on a twin bed. They were about the size of throw pillows for a small couch, and seemed about half filled. We were provided 4 (2 each) and no extras in the closet as you would expect in most hotels. They squished down so quickly that they provided no neck support at all. That led to a lot of tossing and turning -- see problem #1 with the bouncy bed!

The sheets were very scratchy -- low quality. There was also no comforter, just an extra quilt that could be pulled up. A 4-star hotel with cheap linens! Unbelievable.

We had other issues with the hotel: a server at the Carousel bar took 20 minutes to bring us our drinks, the toilet was industrial like what you might find at a rest stop, our view was onto a roof construction site, and the maid service came at odd hours (ranging from 11am to 4pm during our stay). But by far the biggest problem was the uncomfortable bed. For a 4 star property, I expect a very comfortable night's sleep. It was a major blemish on an otherwise fun vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to share your review of your stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your accommodations, and had issue with service time in the Carousel Bar. We have sent you a private message to inquire about which room number you stayed in so we can attempt to remedy the situation with the bed and linens. We appreciate your honest feedback and wish to use it to provide a better experience for our guests. We hope to see you again on your next visit to New Orleans.
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Monteleone as I always do while visiting in New Orleans. The last stay was during the French Quarter Festival in April 11-14. You have my review of The Monteleone which is always stellar but I want to address this last visit. All of my requests were met including early check-in and 14th floor room facing the Mississippi River. I was in the quarter the night that the storm with torrential rain and lightning passed through the area. I noticed that I was without hot water the next day but my room was still comfortable. I later found out that a transformer had been hit by lightning and power was out until further notice. The personnel continued to work at the Carrousel Bar along with the bellhops, the maids, the doormen, the managers and everyone employed by the hotel without complaint and in a professional manner. Customers were moved to other hotels for their convenience and reimbursed. I was allowed to stay as it was my last night in the hotel and I was also reimbursed for that night for the inconvenience. I appreciate this as it would have been more of an inconvenience for me to move. My room was not uncomfortable and I had television and running water and of course the beautiful Monteleone. It is all relative; the night of the storm homeless people were in the streets seeking shelter from the storm with its lightning. We are the fortunate ones to endure a slight inconvenience. The Grand Dame is always my first and only choice.

Room Tip: Preferred room on high floor facing the Mississippi.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to share your review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We appreciate your patience and understanding during the weather-related power outage. We are so glad to hear that had a wonderful stay and found our staff to be helpful and friendly during the issue. We truly appreciate your patronage and do hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We loved our stay here. The rooms are small but adorable, and the restaurant downstairs is amazing. They offer a delicious brunch with friendly service. The rooftop workout room and pool was amazing as well, and all of the food that came out of the full service poolside bar looked so good. In the evenings one can sit in the revolving carousel bar and listen to the jazz band. It was nice to have this place so close to our room for a nightcap or a leisurely brunch after a workout. The only thing I had wished for would have been thicker walls...I could hear someone snoring in the next room one night! I would definitely go back, though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We are thrilled to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us as well as our fitness center, rooftop pool, Carousel Bar & Lounge and Criollo restaurant. We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans!
Incline Village, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Set in the middle of the historic French Quarter, the Hotel Monteleone is a wonderful old but updated hotel. I liked the fact that it was slightly apart from the craziness of Bourbon Street but close enough to experience it. One of my favorite parts of the hotel is the Carousel Bar. Although it is difficult to get a seat at times, it is an amazing experience. The music in the bar the nights that I was there was great too. I was trying to experience all of the food of the French Quarter and almost neglected to eat at the hotel restaurant. I am glad that I did not skip it as it was one of the best meals that I had during my stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate you taking time out to share your review of your recent visit to New Orleans and stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are so happy to hear you had such a wonderful experience and enjoyed our location in the heart of the New Orleans French Quarter, our Carousel Bar & Lounge and dining in our restaurant, Criollo. We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to The Big Easy!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I'm a fan of historic properties and in the 80's and 90's the Pontchartrain was our go to place. But, alas Katrina and privatization took that away. So now we look for something in the quarter. We drove and found garage access and getting in and out of the area easier than expected. The Carousal was always full, so I'll have to try that next trip. We had 2 issues, our key cards needed to be recharges several times, no matter the precautions taken, and my husband thought the beds were to soft.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time out to share your review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We are glad to hear you love historic properties and are so happy you decided to join us during your visit. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and do hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans.
Mount Horeb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I took a Spring escape to the Big Easy and were not disappointed. We were interested in an adult locale with many options available. Although the weather was cool, we saw many areas of the city and rented a car to drive the river road and see a few plantations, as well.

The food was fantastic at most restaurants close to the hotel, all in a stroll-able distance. We checked in to the luxury hotel, Monteleone. Nestled in the French Quarter and close to many touring options, the Monteleone is a energetic property with fine dining and a carousel bar. If you don't have time to finish your drink, no problem, grab a plastic cup by the door and take it with you! It is packed by locals and tourists alike at happy hour, so arrive early for a good seat.

The doormen had a sense of humor and were extremely helpful. The room to which we were assigned was small but adequate for two adults, since most of our time was spent outdoors. A great beignet shop was directly down the street and adjacent to a police precinct. Numerous antique shops adorned Royal Street. Other shopping was close-by; be certain to purchase some pralines!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, if you are seeking more space. New Orleans is not the place to go in hot summer...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time out to share your experience of your recent stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad to hear that you and your husband so thoroughly enjoyed your stay, our location in the heart of the New Orleans French Quarter and the many attractions within walking distance of our doors. We're happy to know that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, and we hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans!

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!