“Great hotel, Great location in French Quarter, Classy old world hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130-2201 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Papa Noel Promotion
Ranked #11 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Delaware
“Great hotel, Great location in French Quarter, Classy old world hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel. It’s is in a great location in the French Quarter. There are so many good restaurants close by for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. The hotel always has doormen who are extremely helpful as well. The famous Carousel bar is great and they have a huge area beyond the bar with sofas, tables and chairs along with another bar for cocktails. There is entertainment in this lounge as well. It’s a great space. The hotel has old world feel to it, but it certainly is up to date. I recommend it. Check out the roof top. The pool is up there and it’s a great space.
There are just a few little things that I experienced, but it doesn’t impact my love for the hotel. It’s merely a few things I experienced while there that I thought could have made our experience better had they been address properly or been taken care of as hotel maintenance. This is not an inexpensive hotel and I feel when you pay what we did for a hotel of this caliber things should be just about perfect.
I thought our room was very small and the view was not good. However e had friends in another room that faced the street and they said they heard music to the wee hours of the morning so in that respect we were fortunate because we herd no sounds at night. I also felt the room was not very user friendly. There were several loose tiles on the shower walls. They were not coming off, but they were loose and will be coming off the wall very soon if not addressed. There is a Keurig coffee machine in the room and unfortunately they did not refill the K-cups every day we were there, we had to call and ask for them to be refilled. They also did not replace our soap for the shower when it was getting very small. The desk is small and it had the Keurig machine on it along with a lamp and a phone which made it difficult to have room for my computer.
As I said, I would certainly stay here again, I saw other rooms while I was there and there are bigger rooms. Overall, I am pleased with my stay, but they need to fine tune some of the smaller things to make your experience memorable.

Room Tip: My recommendation here is to see your room first and if you feel it is not up to your expections the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Buchanan913,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, the service of our staff and your experience at our rooftop pool and the Carousel Bar & Lounge. We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your accommodations. Hotel Monteleone is a historic property and with that comes varying room sizes. Your additional comments have been noted and will be brought to the attention of our management team.

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon on your next trip to New Orleans!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
Hamden, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just got back from staying 4 nights at the Hotel Monteleone and overall it was a good experience. The check-in process left a lot to be desired. We got to the hotel at 10:30 in the morning and was told that the guaranteed check-in wasn't until 3:00 but it shouldn't be a problem to have our room ready for us shortly and why don't we go and get so lunch and come back and the room should be ready. We did so and went back at 12:00 to find out the room still wasn't ready but it should be ready by 1:00. At 1, we were again told it was not ready and at 2:00 was told it should just be a few more minutes. At this point we were exhausted from traveling and really wanted to get into our room to unwind and relax. at 3:00, the guaranteed check-in time, we were told the room was still not ready and to try back in an hour. At this point, we were very frustrated and asked to speak to someone else to try to rectify this and we understood we were early that morning but at this point it was 3:00 which was check-in time and our room still wasn't ready. A very nice woman came to the front desk (I wish I remembered her name) and apologized for the wait and for constantly being told our room was almost ready. She checked and our room still wasn't ready so she decided that enough was enough and upgraded us to a suite which was ready immediately. This was extremely nice of her as we had booked a preferred room but not a suite and we appreciated her making good on a bad situation and rectifying it. The suite was gorgeous! It was very large and had a living room, bedroom, and two bathrooms. We were on the 4th floor but we were not bothered at all by the noise from the street at any point during our stay. The carousel bar is wonderful and a lot of fun but found the drinks to be pricey ($30 for two drinks). The doormen rarely actually opened the door for us but rather stood around and talked to each other alot. By day two, my husband and I were making jokes at how many times he opened the door for me while the doormen just stood and watched. At one point, we even saw them counting their tips in the lobby which we thought was tacky. Overall, the hotel is beautiful and despite the rocky start, we would definitely stay here again as it is in a great location and close to everything.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandra,

Thank you for taking time out to share your experience at Hotel Monteleone with us. We are truly sorry to hear about your delay in check-in, but are very pleased to know that one of our friendly front desk staff members was able to fix the situation. Your comments regarding the doormen will be brought to the attention of our management team. We are so happy to hear that you loved your room accommodations and your time in the Carousel Bar & Lounge. We hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!
Rocky Mount, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We were referred to this hotel by a family member, and it was a great experience. We stayed here during the heat of summer and New Orleans was HOT. The roof top pool, and pool bar, was a great escape after walking around town in the heat. The hotel itself was really upscale and elegant. We heard a lot about the carousel bar, but we did not have the chance to visit. The room was nice; although it was a bit small. The staff were very polite and helpful. The location of the hotel was convenient, middle of the French Quarter. It was only a block over from Bourbon Street, and a short walk to other areas of the city. I would recommend ACME Oyster Co. to eat which is one street over. The oysters were great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Gowufpack,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad you were able to enjoy our rooftop pool during the warm summer months! We are thrilled to hear you experienced such wonderful service from our staff and that you were able to walk to many of the fun attractions in the French Quarter. Sorry to hear you were unable to take a spin around the Carousel Bar, it's a must for your next visit! We hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Having stayed here often while on business in New Orleans the last three years I never was disappointed, good service, comfortable rooms and history abound. Property is in the heart of the French Quarter but a block away from the craziness of Bourbon Street.

Room Tip: They all are good.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Thealienist,

Thank you for taking time to review your many stays at Hotel Monteleone. We are so appreciative of your loyalty and continued patronage. We are thrilled to hear that you always have experienced the highest levels of service and accommodations. We hope to see you again soon!
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

You do get what you pay for. We were glad we asked for a room on a high floor because, being only one block from Bourbon Street, it can be noisy into the wee hours. But hey, it's New Orleans, the other city that doesn't sleep. The location is great: a couple of blocks from Canal Street and the streecar lines that will take you to many of the attractions outside the French Quarter (check out Audubon Park - the zoo is definitely worth a visit) and within walking distance of many great restaurants. We never got to sit at the hotel's famed Carousel Bar but the hotel's other bar, the Criollo, is, I think, nicer. Excellent cocktails.

Room Tip: Rooms on the southern side, ie away from Bourbon Street, are probably quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Louise_Craigen,

Thank you for taking time out to review your experience at Hotel Monteleone. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We're so glad you were able to enjoy the Carousel Bar & Lounge as well as some of the incredible New Orleans attractions within walking distance from our doors. We hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a conference. The location is perfect, right in the heart of the French Quarter but a block or two from Bourbon Street so there's a small buffer from the insanity there. The building is historic. The lobby is gorgeous. The staff were very nice, especially the doormen. The conference facilities were very good, and I thought the conference rate for the room was reasonable for the location although I don't know what the usual rate is. The rooms are compact but totally adequate and very clean and well-kept.

My solitary complaint was that I could not get housekeeping to stop taking my towels and obe. Despite several prominent "environmently friendly" signs that said housekeeping would only take towels placed on the floor of the shower, housekeeping in fact took my hung towel AND my hung robe on day 1. After that, they left my robe but still took my hung towel every day. And that is despite the fact that I actually *called* the front desk after the first day to let them know housekeeping was not implementing the hotel's stated policy for some reason and asking that they please not wash my towels every day (let alone my robe). This is obviously a minor thing as far as my individual stay, but, for the hotel as a whole, I am disappointed that it is wasting such a massive amount of water for no reason, in disregard of its own policy, and even after a guest comments on it. I am making this comment mostly in the hope that they will see it and fix it, not to discourage folks from using this hotel, which was very nice.

Room Tip: I liked being on a higher floor (12th).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear recent_trip52024,

Thank you for taking time to review our recent visit to New Orleans and your stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, accommodations and our location in the French Quarter. We're thrilled to hear that you found our staff, service and hospitality to be of the highest levels. Your comments regarding the towels has been noted and will be brought to the attention of our management team.

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We did not stay in this hotel but we went for the ambiance of the bar. It was awesome! I can not say enough about the carousel bar. The bartenders were entertaining and engaging. They made some great cocktails all while we were seated on a rotating bar. It was definitely an experience that I'm glad we had.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Lin0898,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in our Carousel Bar. We are so glad you had such a wonderful time! We hope you will consider staying with us upon your next visit to New Orleans to provide us with the opportunity to display that level of service throughout your entire stay. Not to mention, you will be right upstairs from the Carousel Bar!

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!