“In the heart of The French Quarter” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130-2201 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Summer Promotional Rates
Ranked #11 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Wilmington, Delaware
“In the heart of The French Quarter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

You do get what you pay for. We were glad we asked for a room on a high floor because, being only one block from Bourbon Street, it can be noisy into the wee hours. But hey, it's New Orleans, the other city that doesn't sleep. The location is great: a couple of blocks from Canal Street and the streecar lines that will take you to many of the attractions outside the French Quarter (check out Audubon Park - the zoo is definitely worth a visit) and within walking distance of many great restaurants. We never got to sit at the hotel's famed Carousel Bar but the hotel's other bar, the Criollo, is, I think, nicer. Excellent cocktails.

Room Tip: Rooms on the southern side, ie away from Bourbon Street, are probably quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Louise_Craigen,

Thank you for taking time out to review your experience at Hotel Monteleone. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We're so glad you were able to enjoy the Carousel Bar & Lounge as well as some of the incredible New Orleans attractions within walking distance from our doors. We hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!

2,595 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a conference. The location is perfect, right in the heart of the French Quarter but a block or two from Bourbon Street so there's a small buffer from the insanity there. The building is historic. The lobby is gorgeous. The staff were very nice, especially the doormen. The conference facilities were very good, and I thought the conference rate for the room was reasonable for the location although I don't know what the usual rate is. The rooms are compact but totally adequate and very clean and well-kept.

My solitary complaint was that I could not get housekeeping to stop taking my towels and obe. Despite several prominent "environmently friendly" signs that said housekeeping would only take towels placed on the floor of the shower, housekeeping in fact took my hung towel AND my hung robe on day 1. After that, they left my robe but still took my hung towel every day. And that is despite the fact that I actually *called* the front desk after the first day to let them know housekeeping was not implementing the hotel's stated policy for some reason and asking that they please not wash my towels every day (let alone my robe). This is obviously a minor thing as far as my individual stay, but, for the hotel as a whole, I am disappointed that it is wasting such a massive amount of water for no reason, in disregard of its own policy, and even after a guest comments on it. I am making this comment mostly in the hope that they will see it and fix it, not to discourage folks from using this hotel, which was very nice.

Room Tip: I liked being on a higher floor (12th).
Dear recent_trip52024,

Thank you for taking time to review our recent visit to New Orleans and your stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, accommodations and our location in the French Quarter. We're thrilled to hear that you found our staff, service and hospitality to be of the highest levels. Your comments regarding the towels has been noted and will be brought to the attention of our management team.

We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We did not stay in this hotel but we went for the ambiance of the bar. It was awesome! I can not say enough about the carousel bar. The bartenders were entertaining and engaging. They made some great cocktails all while we were seated on a rotating bar. It was definitely an experience that I'm glad we had.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Lin0898,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in our Carousel Bar. We are so glad you had such a wonderful time! We hope you will consider staying with us upon your next visit to New Orleans to provide us with the opportunity to display that level of service throughout your entire stay. Not to mention, you will be right upstairs from the Carousel Bar!
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Monteleone for a conference and had a mixed experience. The hotel is very historic, and the outside facade is gorgeous, as is the lobby, complete with grandfather clock, crystal chandeliers, etc. Don't expect a huge atrium b/c as with other historic spots, everything is on a smaller scale, but it is charming and beautiful. The location is phenomenal -- right on top of Bourbon Street and across from some loves antique stores and shops. However, the room I was in was the smallest room I've ever had, including New York City. I literally had bruises on my legs from bumping into the side of the desk when I wanted to get around the bed. The view was horrendous -- right up against a white washed wall. The bathroom was lovely but tiny -- not enough room to put makeup and toiletries around. The water pressure, however, was excellent -- very nice shower experience. The air circulation was also excellent -- no on-and-off fans, but a nice steady fan with good termperature control. The bedding was not great -- very heavy and yet not very warm -- bad combination. A nice assortment of pillows though. The food at the restaurant was fabulous -- we went there twice it was so good, which is saying something considering we were in New Orleans and there are tons of great restaurants around. The in-room dining is also delicious -- great beignets with praline sauce!! Very night fresh fruit platter to for breakfast. However, the TV didn't work and the electronics were spotty throughout the stay. Also the hairdrying didn't work and I had to wait almost an hour for a replacement with a head full of mousse. Fortunately, I didn't have to be anywhere in a hurry that morning, unlike other mornings during the stay. So the hotel has some work to do in some areas although it does many things well. Next time, I would stay somewhere else; that said, on balance I had a nice time.

Room Tip: Try to make sure you don't get a room facing a wall!
Dear Pilgrim373,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent visit to New Orleans and to Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad you enjoyed the luxurious ambiance and the central location of Hotel Monteleone in the New Orleans French Quarter. We are truly sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your accommodations. Hotel Monteleone is a historic property and with that comes varying room sizes. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while providing our guests with a comfortable place to stay. We are happy to hear that beyond your room size, you found your accommodations to be wonderful. Your comments regarding the hair drier and T.V. have been noted and will be brought to the attention of our management team.

We are happy to hear that you had the opportunity to dine in our restaurant Criollo twice and enjoyed it! We hope that upon your next visit to New Orleans you will provide us with the opportunity to display the quality service and hospitality upon which our reputation is based.
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

You're paying for ambiance and location at this hotel. The rooms are on the smaller side. We had to pay extra after booking to get a king room. The beds are certainly older and very soft. Still, the location is spot on perfect for the French Quarter and hotel itself is lovely with top notch staff, food and drink options.

We did have a lovely view of the French Quarter and the Mississippi, but I think what room you get depends on how much you're willing to pay. Our conference rates were higher than the night before that I booked outside the conference. And, there are new high rise hotels within a block or two that had rooms at half the price.

I would still stay here again. The location is so close to great places to eat. The in house restaurant Criollo was also pricey, but the staff were wonderful and they catered beautifully to my gluten free diet. You are also within walking distance of some other top notch dining options like the Red Fish Cafe. For simple, delicious and low priced fare visit Mina's Cafe around the corner or walk down to the Cafe Beignet on Royal.

It's the staff that make this hotel worth the money- from the room service to the doormen to the front desk staff every single one we encountered was the model of perfection. And as far as conference facilities go- these are by far the best I've ever attended- including the meals.

If you're in town and don't plan to stay in your hotel much you might want to try one of the more contemporary hotels close by. For history and ambiance, the Monteleone is still a beauty.

Room Tip: Ask for the Bienville side if you want a quiet room, facing the river. We did not have any of the no...
Dear Wyoming_traveler_2,

Thank you for taking time out to review your experience of your recent visit to New Orleans and your stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations, food, drinks and our location in the French Quarter. We are so glad you enjoyed dining in Criollo and that our staff was wonderful and helpful to accommodate a gluten-free diet.

We are particularly honored to hear that you felt that our staff, from the doormen to the front desk, were a "model of perfection." We strive to provide our guests with the highest level of service and hospitality and are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so very much. We hope to see you again upon your next visit to New Orleans.
Sewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great location close to Bourbon street and Jackson Square. Great hotel. Carousel Bar is a destination for many coming to New Orleans so there was plenty of activity. Rooms are a little small but clean. Would stay again if I was headed back to New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kcdysart,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Monteleone with us. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed your accommodations. We're glad that you were able to enjoy the many New Orleans attractions within walking distance from our doors. We hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I originally had a reservation for my preferred hotel, but the event I was coming to New Orleans for had a gala at the Monteleone so I decided to take advantage of convenience and the reduced rate for my group. This time though I was traveling as a family of 4 and we needed space so I reserved one of the "tower" rooms for about $20 more and more square footage.

Compared to my April 2011 stay, the stay this time in Nov 2012 was much better. The room was spacious and I liked the armoire set up of the closets. It would have been nice to have a couch for non-bed seating but we managed with just the armchair and desk chair. The bathroom was nice too. I loved that the room had a chandelier for the main lighting - such old world charm. And since we faced Royal St on the 10th floor we actually had an unobstructed sky view.

Some negs - the carpet was worn and had dirty spots - needs an update. The toilet had a leak from the plunger whenever you flushed - I didn't bother to report this because I didn't want to deal with it and it was only leaky on a flush. My husband noticed that the bathroom door hinges on the bathroom side of the door were rusty - something that could easily be remedied by housekeeping. Also - the built-in shelf at the end of the tub - under the lip it was quite moldy - why did I notice this? Because it's easy to see when seated at the toilet and because I was regularly kneeling/crouching to bath my 2 kids in the tub. The mattresses were too squishy for me and my husband's taste - we had a room with 2 doubles and the beds had two different mattress qualities.

The staff were all quite delightful and highly responsive to requests. We rented a car the last day of our trip and parking was easy - just gave our room # and it was added to the final bill ($30 flat daily). Internet service had good reception - I had a promo for free internet so I can't complain about the $14 price.

I had a manicure scheduled at Spa Aria - the reservation process had a lot of back and forth conversation with the time being changed on me and a less than optimal response time to my online request. But I was pleased with my manicurist. The spa is quite relaxing on entry. The nail area is pretty standard with a horrid window view that they don't bother to cover up.

As for the gala - the event space - I did not like the set-up of the room - the bar was all the way at the back and the tables were so close together that it was difficult to get to the bar once everyone was seated. But the waiter was more than happy to get us our drinks on request. The bar staff was also nice enough to pour us one last round as they were breaking down the bar at the end of the event. The food was delicious, except - I ordered the fish and really expected better in New Orleans. The dessert was way too much for any self-respecting weight conscious person to finish. I and another woman at my table left half of it on the plate. All the men finished theirs.

As always, the Carousel Bar has the best bartenders and the best drinks. Especially the Sazerac, although Swizzlestick normally would give them a run for their money on the Sazeracs on this trip Carousel Bar did much better.

All in all. I'm pleased with my stay this time. But given the normal rates, I likely won't be back unless I get a discounted rate again. I really still prefer the Loews in NOLA.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a tower floor. You'll either get a city view or a river view and lots of sky.
Dear BlondeMommy05,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Hotel Monteleone with us. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and had a wonderful time at your gala! We are happy to hear that you loved the Carousel Bar and the food and drinks at your event. Your comments regarding the bathroom will be brought to the attention of our management team. We hope that upon your next visit to New Orleans, you will provide us the opportunity to display to you again the level of service and hospitality that you have enjoyed.

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!