“Perfect location but pricey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130-2201 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Perfect location but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

You're paying for ambiance and location at this hotel. The rooms are on the smaller side. We had to pay extra after booking to get a king room. The beds are certainly older and very soft. Still, the location is spot on perfect for the French Quarter and hotel itself is lovely with top notch staff, food and drink options.

We did have a lovely view of the French Quarter and the Mississippi, but I think what room you get depends on how much you're willing to pay. Our conference rates were higher than the night before that I booked outside the conference. And, there are new high rise hotels within a block or two that had rooms at half the price.

I would still stay here again. The location is so close to great places to eat. The in house restaurant Criollo was also pricey, but the staff were wonderful and they catered beautifully to my gluten free diet. You are also within walking distance of some other top notch dining options like the Red Fish Cafe. For simple, delicious and low priced fare visit Mina's Cafe around the corner or walk down to the Cafe Beignet on Royal.

It's the staff that make this hotel worth the money- from the room service to the doormen to the front desk staff every single one we encountered was the model of perfection. And as far as conference facilities go- these are by far the best I've ever attended- including the meals.

If you're in town and don't plan to stay in your hotel much you might want to try one of the more contemporary hotels close by. For history and ambiance, the Monteleone is still a beauty.

Room Tip: Ask for the Bienville side if you want a quiet room, facing the river. We did not have any of the no...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Wyoming_traveler_2,

Thank you for taking time out to review your experience of your recent visit to New Orleans and your stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations, food, drinks and our location in the French Quarter. We are so glad you enjoyed dining in Criollo and that our staff was wonderful and helpful to accommodate a gluten-free diet.

We are particularly honored to hear that you felt that our staff, from the doormen to the front desk, were a "model of perfection." We strive to provide our guests with the highest level of service and hospitality and are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so very much. We hope to see you again upon your next visit to New Orleans.

2,550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
Sewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great location close to Bourbon street and Jackson Square. Great hotel. Carousel Bar is a destination for many coming to New Orleans so there was plenty of activity. Rooms are a little small but clean. Would stay again if I was headed back to New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kcdysart,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Monteleone with us. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed your accommodations. We're glad that you were able to enjoy the many New Orleans attractions within walking distance from our doors. We hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I originally had a reservation for my preferred hotel, but the event I was coming to New Orleans for had a gala at the Monteleone so I decided to take advantage of convenience and the reduced rate for my group. This time though I was traveling as a family of 4 and we needed space so I reserved one of the "tower" rooms for about $20 more and more square footage.

Compared to my April 2011 stay, the stay this time in Nov 2012 was much better. The room was spacious and I liked the armoire set up of the closets. It would have been nice to have a couch for non-bed seating but we managed with just the armchair and desk chair. The bathroom was nice too. I loved that the room had a chandelier for the main lighting - such old world charm. And since we faced Royal St on the 10th floor we actually had an unobstructed sky view.

Some negs - the carpet was worn and had dirty spots - needs an update. The toilet had a leak from the plunger whenever you flushed - I didn't bother to report this because I didn't want to deal with it and it was only leaky on a flush. My husband noticed that the bathroom door hinges on the bathroom side of the door were rusty - something that could easily be remedied by housekeeping. Also - the built-in shelf at the end of the tub - under the lip it was quite moldy - why did I notice this? Because it's easy to see when seated at the toilet and because I was regularly kneeling/crouching to bath my 2 kids in the tub. The mattresses were too squishy for me and my husband's taste - we had a room with 2 doubles and the beds had two different mattress qualities.

The staff were all quite delightful and highly responsive to requests. We rented a car the last day of our trip and parking was easy - just gave our room # and it was added to the final bill ($30 flat daily). Internet service had good reception - I had a promo for free internet so I can't complain about the $14 price.

I had a manicure scheduled at Spa Aria - the reservation process had a lot of back and forth conversation with the time being changed on me and a less than optimal response time to my online request. But I was pleased with my manicurist. The spa is quite relaxing on entry. The nail area is pretty standard with a horrid window view that they don't bother to cover up.

As for the gala - the event space - I did not like the set-up of the room - the bar was all the way at the back and the tables were so close together that it was difficult to get to the bar once everyone was seated. But the waiter was more than happy to get us our drinks on request. The bar staff was also nice enough to pour us one last round as they were breaking down the bar at the end of the event. The food was delicious, except - I ordered the fish and really expected better in New Orleans. The dessert was way too much for any self-respecting weight conscious person to finish. I and another woman at my table left half of it on the plate. All the men finished theirs.

As always, the Carousel Bar has the best bartenders and the best drinks. Especially the Sazerac, although Swizzlestick normally would give them a run for their money on the Sazeracs on this trip Carousel Bar did much better.

All in all. I'm pleased with my stay this time. But given the normal rates, I likely won't be back unless I get a discounted rate again. I really still prefer the Loews in NOLA.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a tower floor. You'll either get a city view or a river view and lots of sky.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear BlondeMommy05,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Hotel Monteleone with us. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and had a wonderful time at your gala! We are happy to hear that you loved the Carousel Bar and the food and drinks at your event. Your comments regarding the bathroom will be brought to the attention of our management team. We hope that upon your next visit to New Orleans, you will provide us the opportunity to display to you again the level of service and hospitality that you have enjoyed.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

My husband spoke at a conference in New Orleans and the company hosting the conference put him in the Monteleone. I decided to join. The room the conference put him in had no window. That's right. No window. In most hotels our room would have been considered a closet. I don't blame the hotel for the room choice as the conference put him up. But if you are claustrophobic, you should find out whether your room has a window. Our room was a "traditional" room.
Now, as to the rest of the room. It was super tiny. No big deal. But the carpet was filthy and looked very old. The climate control was impossible to turn off. There was a wheel on the thermostat but no matter where you set it, the air would blow. If it got too cold in the room, moving the thermostat would turn the heat on. And if it got hot, the chill would turn on. At night, the unit would switch from heater to air conditioner. There was no way to adjust the fan speed. It was pretty unpleasant.
The staff at the hotel is nice and I had no complaints there. Location is great. But I will choose another hotel next time. Even if I had a window, I could not deal with the air conditioner and heater issues.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear TejasJuez,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone. We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. Hotel Monteleone is a historic property, and with that comes a truly unique floor plan with varying room sizes. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while providing our guests with a comfortable place to stay. At your next visit, at the time of check in and if availability permits, if your room is not satisfactory please let the staff know and we will help you switch to a room more of your liking.

We are happy to hear that you found our staff helpful and courteous and are proud to provide top-quality service for our guests. We hope that upon your next visit to New Orleans you will provide us with another opportunity to show you the quality of hospitality and accommodations upon which our reputation is based.
leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We started a 14 day music tour of the south at this excellent hotel. It was all good genrally although pricey it was in line with other prices in the USA ,it's so easy to forget the effect of taxes and gratuity. This is always added on so beware. Our room was 1529 meaning we always took the lift past the reputedly haunted 12th floor but no sign of ghostly activity. The rooftop pool was lovely and warm, rooms were spotless and well appointed. The view was forgettable but really didn't,t matter. The carousel bar was always too full to get a seat but looked fun. A good location in the French quarter.the air con was always on and gave us dry mouths although the temperature could be controlled. 2 of our party got turndown and chocolates which wasn't,t extended to all so the little things were not quite spot on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Leicesterhelen,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We're glad you were able to spend an afternoon enjoying our rooftop pool and the view of New Orleans. Your comments regarding the turn down service have been noted and will be brought to the attention of our management team. We hope that your music tour went well and that we will see you again soon!
Caldwell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had a wonderful stay here during a convention. This hotel is right smack in the middle of the French Quarter. It is walking distance to many attractions. It makes for a very convenient night out!! The hotel itself is beautiful. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean. I also found the price to be fairly reasonable considering the location. Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear CampbellScot,

We are so thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us! We are so glad that you enjoyed your room and accommodations as well as being able to walk to the many different attractions in the French Quarter. We hope to see you again soon!
FOLEY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel twice and both times I've been very pleased. It's an old building, so the rooms are smaller than you might be used to in other upscale hotels, but everything is imbued with character and the finishes are luxurious - marble and glass in the bathroom, with silver trays and such. The bed was comfortable and the decorating cozy. I was very happy that the alarm clock was also an iPhone docking station - a very nice touch! The staff is always visible, helpful, and professional. It's in an excellent location (a block from Bourbon Street, three blocks from the shops at Canal Place, a block from Canal Street, etc.), and has attached valet parking. It's a lovely home away from home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Hotel Monteleone here with us. We are so glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us! We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!