“Pricy but worth it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130-2201 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Papa Noel Promotion
Ranked #10 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
St. Louis, MO, USA
“Pricy but worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

This is a beautiful old hotel in a great location in the French Quarter. We booked a "Veiux Carre" suite, which had two rooms. The lobby is very nice. The Carousel Bar is something you have to see. We didn't have to deal with the staff very much, but I talked to the concierge and he was very helpful in giving me tips for the St. Charles streetcar, which is only two blocks away (exact fare only, $3 day pass) and finding live music away from the craziness of Bourbon Street (Frenchman Street). The room had high ceilings and cool old-fashioned drapes. This was the olny time I've been to NO, so I can't compare it to the other high-end hotels there, but I know it was pricy, but the location and ambiance made it worth it.

Room Tip: The Veaux Carre suites are two rooms, we never heard another person although they were full.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear zgiant1,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to write this review. It appears you had a fabulous time in New Orleans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My daughter and I stayed one night before and one night after a cruise at this hotel. The room was lovely, the staff was very friendly and helpful and the location was great - just one block off Bourbon Street. We felt very safe there. Would definitely stay there again. We just loved New Orleans - weren't there long enough.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear stuey,

You must come back and stay longer next time. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing your experience.
north carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed at the Monteleone in January for a conference. The hotel did not live up to it's own hype owing to several incidents which I would not have expected at an upscale (and expensive) hotel.

Check-in: I arrived later in the evening (9pm) and I was only one of three guests checking in. There were three front-desk staff on duty but only one was working the other two were to the side of the desk talking about their plans for the weekend. I had to say 'excuse me' in order to get their attention. After he rolled his eyes at me, he checked me in and as I found out, gave me two room keys that did not work. I had to go back down and get new ones.

Room: It was tiny...like Europe budget hotel tiny. The king bed took up all usable space (literally 12" around the bed for movement). The bathroom was terrible. I could barely close the door and there was absolutely no counterspace for my 8"x4"x2" toiletry bag. The towels were about as good as you would get at a Hampton Inn (not bad unless you're paying double for the room), and the sheets had holes in them. I had to ask for replacements. My room was also on the front of the hotel facing Royal Street. If you stay here be sure to request a room at the BACK of the hotel. There is NO soundproofing and I could hear street performers and French Quarter revelers until 3am. Requests for a room change were denied.

Room Service: I did order room service one evening so I could be on a conference call. The service was prompt (only waited about 20 min), hot and tasty.

Overall, spend a little extra for a nicer place or spend much less for the Marriott down the street.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear ajnc,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay with us. We regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.
Aptos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

A friend from Baton Rouge arranged for a party of people from different states to stay here over the New Year's weekend. This is a charming, comfortable hotel in a great location in the French Quarter. We had a number of functions to attend and we walked to all of them.

On New Year's Eve the Carousel Bar was reopened after a major remodel. Great space.

Hotel is in the Register of historic hotels. It has a lovely large lobby, a feature which we enjoy.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views and the staff is very accommodating if you ask for one.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear KateAptos_California,

Great! We are so happy you had an enjoyable holiday weekend with us this past New Year's and thank you for taking the time to write this review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed at the Monteleone during Christmas week. A beautiful hotel right in the middle of everything. Walking distance to everywhere in the French Quarter. Great lodging, wonderful festive lobby and a quiet place away from it all. I would definitely return. Reasonable and well kept and a perfect place to stay in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Mariefla,

Thank you for this wonderful review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again on future trips to New Orleans.
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

we have stayed here on many of our trips to new orleans, it is a wonderful hotel in a great location, within the french quarter, near all the site and great food

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear azbellb,

Thank you! We are so happy to hear you enjoy staying with us.
Palm Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Whenever I come to NOLA I will be staying at the Hotel Moneteleone. On a recent stay at the hotel there was a problem with the reservations. Long story short, every single member of the hotel staff treated me with respect and as a true guest rather than a client. They trusted me to stay in the hotel until the problem was cleared with no stress or jumping through hoops. The hotel bar is excellent and the rooms are above average, but it is the people who make the hotel worth the price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear erriew,

Thank you! We are honored to be your New Orleans hotel. See you again soon we hope!

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!