“Southern Hospitality and Charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monteleone to your Saves list
Hotel Monteleone
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   214 Royal Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70130-2201 (French Quarter)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Summer Promotional Rates
Ranked #13 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Detroit, Michigan
“Southern Hospitality and Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Just back from a 4 day stay that was part-conference, part-vacation. My friend and I loved the Monteleone! Our room was comfortable, clean and quaint. The hotel is in a great location for exploring the French Quarter and Canal Street and the CBD. Streetcar stops are just a two minute walk, if that. We loved being able to stop back at the room to freshen up before heading back out in the heat again. The service was a treat, real Southern Hospitality. Not the stuffy, stuck up type you get at "trendy" hotels. The concierge was fantastic recommending places that were not the usual tourist traps. The doormen took great car of us too.

Will definitely return to the Monteleone. Can't wait to go back to New Orleans again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear BrookeLynne7,

We are so glad you to hear you love the Monteleone and New Orleans. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Crescent City.

2,578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This was my third visit to the Hotel Monteleone, and I only have good things to say. This time our room was small, but made good use of space, and everything else was spectacular. Wonderful location. But I especially want to mention the excellent service, particularly of the weekend concierge, who found me an excellent French Quarter dinner reservation for a party of 9 at the last minute on a busy Saturday night!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Nance1600,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and others and please come stay with us again soon.
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Knew from one of my husband's previous visits that you can be assigned an "interior" room, i.e., no window [illegal in some states I believe], so insisted my conference rate standard king room was changed from the predicted interior room, even though I'd sent an e-mail saying I didn't want one of their interior rooms. Having a view of a wall into another room across a narrow open space is better than being in a box without daylight. Room was small, narrow and awkwardly laid out with not much space between the end of the bed and the television/fridge/3 drawers armoire to get to and from the good-sized bathroom. The desk was too small with the coffee maker, phone and lamp leaving little room for a netbook and paperwork. Only one bedside table and one lounge chair was stuck by the door - no room for it anywhere else. Could see daylight around the door and big gap underneath so any noise in the corridor was heard. As there were two of us in the room, my husband said he now noticed how small their "standard" rooms are - he's stayed there several times on business.
Two tiered wireless internet, cheaper version $10 worked reasonably well. Have to keep renewing every day and on day 2 it wouldn't accept my room number - called front desk who routed call to their technology help desk and it took close to 20 minutes to get issue resolved. On checking my bill I found I'd been charged for this phone call! Got that removed when I checked out.
Didn't find the bed that comfortable. Hotel is clean, employees very polite and helpful.
As restaurants closed, convention attendees given separate location for the free "extensive continental breakfast". Got there 1 hour before breakfast over on day 1 and all that was left were 2 doughnuts and a few bagels, no knives left - hotel was not "refreshing" the offerings. Had better luck being there an hour after breakfast began. On last day, 90 minutes before it was over it was really obvious that they weren't refreshing the jelly or teabags from the previous day's slim pickings, no fresh fruit, no yoghurt left and again no knives - spreading butter and jelly with a fork is interesting. If you are going to offer something like this, make it consistently available. Should have gone downstairs to the main ballroom as it seems they weren't quite so negligent with their other guests.
Small fitness room, key carded and pool on roof - not key carded. The pool is quite small and rules about disruptive and/or unsupervised children not enforced. It is a pleasant space to get away from the overwhelming heat and humidity.

Room Tip: Refuse the interior room when you check in.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Anwen,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone.

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monteleone for two days in June. Things we liked about the hotel include a great location in the French Quarter, a lovely bar in the lobby, a comfortable room,the rooftop pool and great service upon check-in.

Unfortunately, the hotel is undergoing construction that led to loud banging (possibly driving piles?) at 8:00 in the morning directly outside our window.

Also, because of the construction, the hotel did not have any restaurants open for breakfast. To make up for this, the hotel offered a free continential breakfast- great! The line for it was never-ending and we were not allowed to take food to go- not great! So basically your choices were to wait over half an hour for your free continental breakfast or leave the hotel, which I opted to do. This could easily have been remedied by the hotel if they just would have allowed me to take a muffin and banana to my room, which I don't think is unreasonable.

Overall, the Hotel Monteleone was very beautiful and I'd stay there again- only if it wasn't under construction.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Dear BostonHunter4,

We are so sorry that your trip was interrupted. The good news is that our contractors will not hammer before 9 a.m. and not on weekends. This only happened once and unfortunately you were a guest here at that time. We apologize and hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you after our renovations are complete.
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We are from north Louisiana and have been to N.O. many times. First time stay at the Monteleone for me, but others in family have stayed here before. We know the reputation for this hotel, so when I saw the Summer Special of $99/night, I jumped on it. We weren't sure how the renovations would affect our stay and not having a restaurant there, but boy were we surprised! The continental breakfast was outstanding, especially compared to the usual ones you get with hotel chains. We went down to breakfast about 30 minutes before it was to end. There were many people eating, but we did not have to wait. The white table cloths, silver, china, etc were so special. The food assortment was wonderful and fresh. The wait staff were excellent. Our waitress even offered to send us off with a cup of coffee to go after eating even though we didn't request one. I took her up on it
Every staff member had a smile on their faces always, wanting to help you every step of the way. The rooms are small, but all the historical hotels where I have stayed in the Quarter have small rooms, some even have a musty odor. Not this one! We made no specific requests regarding floors or views. We were on the 5th floor facing Royal which we liked and maybe would request a higher floor next time for an even better view. I must comment on the shower. Usually the showers in other hotels where I have stayed have no power and the spray spreads out too much. This shower head was powerful and more condensed. Loved it! Also, we had a call from housekeeping in the late afternoon asking if there was anything we needed. That was a first! I was very impressed. The mattress was a little soft for me, but the rest of the family loved it.
Don't miss the pool! Beautiful view, especially at night.
I had read other reviews that the valet took a long time to receive your car. We waited about 5-to minutes. No problem. The only complaint I have is that the valet parking is very expensive. But it seems that way throughout the Quarter. If it were about $20/day, I would say everything is perfect at The Hotel Monteleone.

Room Tip: Ask for 5th floor or above for view.
Dear vicvic47,

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your first time at the Hotel Monteleone and hope to see you again and again.
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Oh how I wanted to love this hotel. I read some of the negative reviews and thought these people just don't get historic hotels which I love.

Well this place could be really great but they badly need to update the rooms and hallway carpet and fixtures. The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable as were the pillows and the desk chair in my room was broken, god only knows how and he's not saying probably for a good reason.

Also to say this hotel is centrally located in the French Quarter is a bit of a misnomer. It is actually on the edge of the French Quarter as I found out while trying to explore the French Quarter in 100 degree heat.

Still the Carosel Bar was just as charming as I had hoped. It really does inhance the drinking experience if you are not stuck next to a conventioneer talking about the latest in medical devices all night but instead you are slowly moved towards a hottie on the other side of the room who has been giving you the eye from across the bar. Not very high tech but it works.

The hotel was also very close to Galatoire's where we ate dinner. That was great given that we were wearing coat and tie as required by the restaurant and as mentioned above it was 100 degrees during the day and the nights only cooled down a little.

Still I would try this place again only after they complete thier reservations. For my next trip to New Orleans I will be trying the Omni Royal Orleans which I passed on my explorations and for my money was more centrally located and some of the rooms looked to have thier own old fashioned metal lace balconies so you could sit out and enjoy the passing show from your room.

Room Tip: Don't Use Hotels.com Call The Hotel
Petersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

The hotel is going through a series of upgrades, which means that currently there are no restaurant facilities. Howevr, to compensate this, they provide a free continental breakfast, which includes fruit, cereals, yogourts, bagels, toast, and coffee. Be warned though- if you don't get down early, you will stand in a queue! The staff are very friendly. We arrived at 1pm, having taken over 3 hours to drive from Lafayette,( should only be 2 hours, but because of road works, there were long jams), but were still able to check in, which was a blessing, as we were very tired!
We were on the 15th floor- the rooms are small but adequate. They provide the usual 2 beds, an ironing board and iron, hairdryer, plus all the complimentary bathroom shampoos etc.
The hotel is on Royal Street, in the heart of the French Quarter, so everything is near and walkable in that area. There is also a lovely small rooftop pool, which is very welcoming after a long day in the heat and humidity.
The concierge was very helpful, and booked us on a swamp tour, the price of which was added to our room, which made things easier. A great place to stay the the big easy!
My only negative was that you had to pay 10 dollars a night for wifi, the only place on our trip which didn't offer free wifi. However, I believe that this is common practice in New Orleans-slightly left a stale taste in our mouths, as they must all make so much money from tourists, it seemed particularly stingy! They do have car parking facilities, but charge around 30 dollars a night, so we handed in our rental car at the airport, and took a taxi in,a s everything is so accessible, either by walking, street car, or taxi.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a window
Dear moburton,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad to hear the renovations did not disturb your stay. In regards to the Wi-Fi we are launching a new and updated system next month and apologize for the inconvenience. Please come visit again on your next trip to New Orleans.

Been to Hotel Monteleone? Share your experiences!