“nice hotel in need of TLC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lafayette Hotel

You added The Lafayette Hotel to your Saves list
The Lafayette Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 St Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #83 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Indianapolis, Indiana
“nice hotel in need of TLC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here the night of 11/9/13 because our orignal hotel we used for a business gathering was sold out for our last night in town. We ended up in a large suite that was very nice, great surprise for our $230 rate. Room needed some TLC--several things were falling apart: toilet did not flush, hole in the wall, broken desk chair, etc. The hotel itself was lovely, just needed some care. The street car line outside the hotel is loud for sure. Does not run all night but does run late and early. Bellperson nearly caused us to miss our flight--she insisted on calling a cab company and waved off several passing cabs because she wanted to steer our business to a specific company. Driver said he'd be to us in five minutes and 40 minutes later we flagged down a cab and left.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler from the Midwest

Santa Ana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The hotel was clean, comfortable and attractive. We stayed there for 3 nights, with Friday and Saturday prices being almost 3 times what the Sunday rate was. While that may be standard for hotels in tourist areas, I thought the higher rate was too much for the hotel since some details fell short. For instance: the bottom sheet on the king size bed didn't stay tucked in, the bathroom sink was stained, the door had to be pushed closed. Also, our room overlooked the street, which had a trolley running well into the night. Overall, it was above average...just a bit pricey.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

From the point of booking I spoke with "Ron". He have me tips and recommendations and really set me up for an amazing New Orleans experience from the get go. Service was top notch! I was very impressed with the hotel, the location and most of all the guest service. The staff went out of their way to take care of us, and this is what sets it all apart. Talk about Southern hospitality!!
I reserved a suite and I could not have found a better deal. Yes, it is an older hotel but it has the New Orleans charm I was looking for. I had a wet bar, fridge, two separate rooms with lots of space. Updates included flat screen tv's in both the bedroom and "living" room, not that we watched them at all but the room had both updated features and old school charm.
Thank you to Ron and the whole staff for making my visit memorable and top notch!! Highly recommend this hotel for price, location and guest service. Thanks again Ron for providing an amazing trip for us!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank NapsII
So. Calif.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

After reading other reviews I wonder if I paid a premium for The Lafayette because other places were booked because of two big events in New Orleans ($300/night Sat Sun). It was pretty nice but definitely not worth that price. The trolley doesn't run all night but it runs in front of the hotel and it makes a LOT of noise. It's a bit of a walk to the French Quarter but not too bad. If you are going to Frenchmen Street for the music it's on the opposite side of the French Quarter from the hotel and you might want to take a taxi home if it's late and you have had a few.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
North Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I saw this hotel online and loved it! I booked immediately. The booking staff were very helpful in answering every question I had. I booked a KING SUITE. I made sure he heard the difference between king suite and king deluxe. So as time approached I would call back and make sure everything was still good. I complimented the room they advertised on the site and the same guy suggested I ask for that particular suite and that he would note that by my reservation.
Call back a week before time to arrive to pay in full for everything and said " this suite is the one with the separate bedroom and living room right?" Of course he agreed.
The night we get there....it's a very small regular room. I was livid of course, but it was late and I knew the manager wasn't there. I was told the manager would contact me first thing in the morning.
Next morning I ended up having to call down. And to my surprise, the manager wasn't scheduled to come in. <-- sarcasm.
So I called reservations myself, the guy I talked to, no one knew or heard of...of course. So my family and I were like " no worries, let's make the best from it " we were just sleeping in the room anyway.

Now onto staff...there was a lady there who was the most helpful nicest person. She actually saved this review from being horrible! She was right on time with everything. The other staff, not so much. The last day, we called down for a luggage cart and was told he would bring it right up. We hurried to take the dog out and noticed him( the bell hop guy) sitting, playing on his phone and the luggage cart empty. So we go take the dogs out..this takes ten minutes. Come back in, he is doing the same thing. I asked him if I could just take the cart myself. He said "yea go ahead". I asked him if he could get my car. I go load everything and being it down. He doesn't even help or offer to help me unload it. He goes back to playing on his phone. After I get everything loaded, I go back upstairs to get my dog..grabbed his envelope where I've left a nice size tip, and put it in my pocket. His loss.
Other than that, our stay was great.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
New Castle, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

this is a great hotel, very good staff, gave me all great answers to my questions . they well help you, being a tourist to get to all the places you wish to see . its real close to the French Quarters , the room is nice an very clean . you must ride street car to see everything. I stayed here for three great days went to all the festivals I could fine .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Carolina Shores, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Great hotel, especially for the price. Great staff that always answered our every question and met all of our needs. Convenient to the French Quarter and right on the street car line. If you enjoy "classics", this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple