“Not Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lafayette Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Lafayette Hotel to your Saves list
The Lafayette Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 St Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Offers & Announcements
Weekday Rates from $79.00
Ranked #83 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
So. Calif.
“Not Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

After reading other reviews I wonder if I paid a premium for The Lafayette because other places were booked because of two big events in New Orleans ($300/night Sat Sun). It was pretty nice but definitely not worth that price. The trolley doesn't run all night but it runs in front of the hotel and it makes a LOT of noise. It's a bit of a walk to the French Quarter but not too bad. If you are going to Frenchmen Street for the music it's on the opposite side of the French Quarter from the hotel and you might want to take a taxi home if it's late and you have had a few.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
North Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

I saw this hotel online and loved it! I booked immediately. The booking staff were very helpful in answering every question I had. I booked a KING SUITE. I made sure he heard the difference between king suite and king deluxe. So as time approached I would call back and make sure everything was still good. I complimented the room they advertised on the site and the same guy suggested I ask for that particular suite and that he would note that by my reservation.
Call back a week before time to arrive to pay in full for everything and said " this suite is the one with the separate bedroom and living room right?" Of course he agreed.
The night we get there....it's a very small regular room. I was livid of course, but it was late and I knew the manager wasn't there. I was told the manager would contact me first thing in the morning.
Next morning I ended up having to call down. And to my surprise, the manager wasn't scheduled to come in. <-- sarcasm.
So I called reservations myself, the guy I talked to, no one knew or heard of...of course. So my family and I were like " no worries, let's make the best from it " we were just sleeping in the room anyway.

Now onto staff...there was a lady there who was the most helpful nicest person. She actually saved this review from being horrible! She was right on time with everything. The other staff, not so much. The last day, we called down for a luggage cart and was told he would bring it right up. We hurried to take the dog out and noticed him( the bell hop guy) sitting, playing on his phone and the luggage cart empty. So we go take the dogs out..this takes ten minutes. Come back in, he is doing the same thing. I asked him if I could just take the cart myself. He said "yea go ahead". I asked him if he could get my car. I go load everything and being it down. He doesn't even help or offer to help me unload it. He goes back to playing on his phone. After I get everything loaded, I go back upstairs to get my dog..grabbed his envelope where I've left a nice size tip, and put it in my pocket. His loss.
Other than that, our stay was great.

• Stayed October 2013
New Castle, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

this is a great hotel, very good staff, gave me all great answers to my questions . they well help you, being a tourist to get to all the places you wish to see . its real close to the French Quarters , the room is nice an very clean . you must ride street car to see everything. I stayed here for three great days went to all the festivals I could fine .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Carolina Shores, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Great hotel, especially for the price. Great staff that always answered our every question and met all of our needs. Convenient to the French Quarter and right on the street car line. If you enjoy "classics", this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PLATTEVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel accommodated each of my needs. I had packages shipped, and they notified when they arrived. They answered all my tourist questions. I requested a room with a view, and I got it. I'm not going to spell his name right, but Teron was super helpful. He spent time showing me the map and giving me all sorts of recommendations. I was in a room with a king sized bed. It was cute, spacious, and quiet.

There's no doubt - I'd stay here again. Super cute.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Milton, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I just returned from a one night stay here. Our visit coincided with the Blues and Bbq Festival held next door and I chose this hotel based on it's location.

Pros: Every staff member was courteous and helpful. The location is on the St. Charles street car line. The price was affordable. The room was much larger than I expected. It was actually a bed room with a seperate living room area. The main bed was super comfortable. There was a hair dryer, fridge and coffee pot.

Cons: Coffee pot wasn't clean. Curtains were torn and falling down so some wouldn't close. When I woke up, I found my daughter was curled up at the top of the sofa bed because the foot of the bed had collapsed during the night.
There weren't any vending machines or convenience stores nearby so we had to venture out to get snacks and sodas. There was a cabinet marked mini bar but it was empty.

These cons weren't enough to turn me off of this hotel. They were doing some painting while we were there so it looks like they are upgrading. They allowed us the store our luggage and valet the car when we arrived and store it again after we checked out so we got two fulls days of exploring without dragging our luggage around. The parking was a little pricey but I factored it in to the hotel stay and it was less than other places. Also, I can't say enough about how great the staff was to deal with. I will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013
Laval, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

On my first ever trip to New Orléans, I was fortunate to stay at the Lafayette. My ten day trip was made even better because of the staff, location and overall atmosphere of the hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous - helping me get around and giving me advice on what sights to see. Everyday, we had a chuckle over how many pictures I had snapped. The hotel itself is old world class, the room was immense and the bed....I could have stayed in the bed all day!! The housekeeping service was top-notch, even the maintenance staff were courteous and friendly!
Don`t let the location of the Business District fool you into thinking you are far from the core of New Orléans....I walked for a mere 4 blocks and volia - French Quarter!! Sleep was blissful as such, the only noise heard was the streetcar, which is very conveniently found across the street.
Highly highly recommended hotel - on all levels. I will definitely go back to this hotel when I return to New Orléans - thanks to everyone there for making my trip memorable!!

Room Tip: If at all possible, ask for a room with balcony. Nice to be able to open a window. The rooms on the...