“New Orleans charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lafayette Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Lafayette Hotel to your Saves list
The Lafayette Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 St Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Offers & Announcements
$79 Weekday Rates
Ranked #85 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Lafayette, Louisiana
“New Orleans charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Suite was an excellent value. Staff was great also. Car through valet was delivered each time very quickly at front door. Close walking distance to Quarter, but neighborhood around hotel had some gems to visit too! Also, hottest shower in New Orleans!

Room Tip: You can hear the streetcars in rooms facing the front of the building but were not loud and was cons...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at The Lafayette Hotel the week of Jul 4th; it was a nice boutique hotel with a lot of character. The staff was pleasant, but the one who stood out was Joanna who was helpful on directions, restaurants and any hotel accommodations we requested. She was truly a gem! We specifically selected a room on the top floor in the back of the hotel based on the previous reviews. Although the room was clean and the décor was appropriate to the hotel, however it needed some updates such as the bathroom fixtures and the TV. The bed was very comfortable and the furnishing was well appointed, however the bench at the end of the bed was dirty-so we covered it with a sheet. The walls were freshly painted and it was new carpet. Overall the stay was pleasant the staff was pleasant, the hotel was clean and the hotel was in quiet neighborhood away from the crowds.

Room Tip: Request the higher floor in the back, reducing the noise of the troller that runs in front of the ho...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Glassboro, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was a quaint hotel with old world charm. If you’re more comfortable with modern hotel accommodations then this may not be the hotel for you. But if you want the whole New Orleans experience then I’d recommend it. The most important thing to me is that the room is clean and it was. The sheets and duvet were both white and smelled freshly washed which is all I really ask for. And the bathroom and towels were clean as well. The bed was a little firm but I’m use to a soft pillow top so I don’t expect it to be the same as home. I would recommend they fix the wallpaper in the halls leading to the room and paint the front door to give it a little more polished look. But overall a nice experience, perfectly located, within walking distance to everything, I’d stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Huntersville, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Pros:

Al the employees with whom we interacted were all very professional and helpful.
Beautiful, historic hotel.
Clean bedding and bathroom.

Cons:
Fridge did not work.
Carpet needs replacing.
Handle inside tub came loose, weird dripping from ceiling in tub.

We felt this was overpriced for the conditions of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hi,
I stayed at this hotel from 7/3/13-7/5/13. It was the nastiest hotel I have ever stayed in. The hotel was old and hasn't been maintained. The carpet had worn out areas; the furniture clearly had visible stains. The curtains had holes and stains that looked like blood (not exaggerating at all). I didn't want to touch anything. The hall way smelled like paint or paint thinner. The attached restaurant was closed for renovations (per the sign), but we found out that it was closed due to health violations. Oh and the walls are paper thin. I could hear the couple next door sneeze (not kidding). It was the worst hotel by far and I would NEVER tell anyone to stay there. Don’t let the pictures fool you. It’s nasty.

DON'T STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We arrived to the hotel to find an older vintage hotel that was not like the Internet pictures. Everything appeared grungy and dirty. The Internet pictures did not show that the hotel was run down. The internet pictures showed an older hotel that seemed to renovated with a vintage decor. We reserved a suite with two king beds. We got a dirty pull out sofa and a king bed. The rooms curtains were torn with stains. The carpet was torn. The furniture was old and dirty. We heard the trolley cars all night going own St. Charles street. The hotel still had tube tv's in the rooms. At least the bathroom was half way decent. I did take my shower with flip flops on and I brushed my teeth with bottled water. I felt like I was on a high school trip to Panama City. My friends in another room complained to the general manager and they got a bottle of champagne....really. I can buy my own champagne. Needless to say this was my worst hotel experience in my adult life. I am 41 years old and I do travel a lot and stay in very nice hotels. Be ware the pictures and Internet ratings a deceptive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ashford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I loved this hotel! This is the first time I have written a review on tripadvisor and I am glad to do it!
I loved the location of the Lafayette, our room, the staff, the coffee joint around the corner. It sits adjacent to Lafayette Square, which is pretty, quiet and safe. I even loved the building itself! The price of our room was fair and a great value! I look forward to returning to NOLA and equally will be glad to stay right here on 600 St Charles Avenue!!
Highly recommend it!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Lafayette Hotel? Share your experiences!