“TERRIBLE AND GROSS” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Lafayette Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Lafayette Hotel to your Saves list
The Lafayette Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 St Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Offers & Announcements
$79 Weekday Rates
Ranked #75 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta, Georgia
“TERRIBLE AND GROSS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hi,
I stayed at this hotel from 7/3/13-7/5/13. It was the nastiest hotel I have ever stayed in. The hotel was old and hasn't been maintained. The carpet had worn out areas; the furniture clearly had visible stains. The curtains had holes and stains that looked like blood (not exaggerating at all). I didn't want to touch anything. The hall way smelled like paint or paint thinner. The attached restaurant was closed for renovations (per the sign), but we found out that it was closed due to health violations. Oh and the walls are paper thin. I could hear the couple next door sneeze (not kidding). It was the worst hotel by far and I would NEVER tell anyone to stay there. Don’t let the pictures fool you. It’s nasty.

DON'T STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We arrived to the hotel to find an older vintage hotel that was not like the Internet pictures. Everything appeared grungy and dirty. The Internet pictures did not show that the hotel was run down. The internet pictures showed an older hotel that seemed to renovated with a vintage decor. We reserved a suite with two king beds. We got a dirty pull out sofa and a king bed. The rooms curtains were torn with stains. The carpet was torn. The furniture was old and dirty. We heard the trolley cars all night going own St. Charles street. The hotel still had tube tv's in the rooms. At least the bathroom was half way decent. I did take my shower with flip flops on and I brushed my teeth with bottled water. I felt like I was on a high school trip to Panama City. My friends in another room complained to the general manager and they got a bottle of champagne....really. I can buy my own champagne. Needless to say this was my worst hotel experience in my adult life. I am 41 years old and I do travel a lot and stay in very nice hotels. Be ware the pictures and Internet ratings a deceptive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ashford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I loved this hotel! This is the first time I have written a review on tripadvisor and I am glad to do it!
I loved the location of the Lafayette, our room, the staff, the coffee joint around the corner. It sits adjacent to Lafayette Square, which is pretty, quiet and safe. I even loved the building itself! The price of our room was fair and a great value! I look forward to returning to NOLA and equally will be glad to stay right here on 600 St Charles Avenue!!
Highly recommend it!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Unbelievable price of $62 a night seemed too good to be true for a last minute booking in June. Stayed a Tues and Wed. which still felt like weekend nightlife in New Orleans. However, after a 15 hr drive from VA, it was a charming, small hotel that seemed to be purely New Orleans. Easy access to the quarter by streetcar. rooms and bathrooms were elegantly decorated. We took a chance for our honeymoon and found no disappointments. Restaurant atmosphere was nice also. Drank at the bar but didn't eat. Nice staff all around.

Terre Haute, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed at the Lafayette Hotel June 8-13, 2013 for our anniversary. The staff was wonderful. Our room was clean, bed comfy, and great showers with great pressure!.I'll offer a little "secret". Request one of the x11 rooms, we had 211. They are between the elevator shafts and isolated from most of the buildings noise. Very quiet and peaceful. We walked everywhere, French Quarter, WWII museum, Civil War Museum, Natchez boat ride, etc. Took trolley rides since we could catch it right out front just for fun.
I was worried after reading some reviews here since this was our first stay. Yes the TV's are older models, but work just fine. And yes there is what some would call a bit of wear and some would call character to the place. However, take a chance and give them a try. I know we'll be back! :)

Room Tip: Request one of the x11 rooms, we had 211. They are between the elevator shafts and isolated from mos...
portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Recently my boyfriend and I drove to NOLA to spend a few days. On the road 2 days out we had not made a reservation yet so got online and tried to find a hotel in a good location without spending too much money. It was pretty tricky, most rooms were booked but then I stumbled across The Lafayette. The price was good, the photos looked cute so I booked it. When we arrived the staff was super! Dwayne at the counter was kind and accommodating (even upgraded our room) and TeRon was friendly and informative. The room was beautiful and clean - had all the NOLA charm you could want. We will certainly come back!

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and i decided to stay at the lafayette hotel for our anniversary the price was right and the reviews were good. We were not dissapointed at all! We stayed 4 days and traveled to the french quarter with ease with the streetcars being right outside also we walked from bourbon street to the hotel around 9pm and felt very safe. Plus theres a grocery store a couple blocks down also safe! The employees were fabulous!!! They offered champagne for our special day as well as had all the answers to our questions. Everytime we left or entered a friendly staff member would ask about our day or hold the door open. Checking in and out was easy as well i had the same guy and he was very sweet and caring! My boyfriend and i will be back and we will recommend this hotel to everyone we know!!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to The Lafayette Hotel? Share your experiences!