“Reunion of VietNam Veterans” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lafayette Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Lafayette Hotel to your Saves list
The Lafayette Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 St Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Offers & Announcements
$79 Weekday Rates
Ranked #75 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Dallas, Texas
“Reunion of VietNam Veterans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I wanted to express special thanks to you for the nice hospitality we received from you and your staff at the Lafayette during our 85th Evac Hospital reunion. I think everyone was pleased with the accommodations in their room. I’m glad we did not have a bigger group because the parlor in our room was filled each time we had it open for hospitality snacks and drinks. It really made us feel close again even though we live in disparate parts of the country.

I do want to remind you of the need for a hand bar in the shower/bathtub just for good risk management. It was brought up by a couple of the docs and nurses attending. Actually, in our room, 206, a maintenance person ought to visit and put handles on a drawer in one of the night stand dressers and just check the room for other small items needing simple attention.

Thank you for being so helpful to us. I think all of us appreciated the very convenient location of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lincolnwood, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is considered a national landmark hotel. However, I found it lacking. The room was adequate but paint was peeling, visibly scuffed up baseboards, and ripped carpeting at the seams. The shower did not work properly- when you switched from bathtub to shower, 75% of the water still came out of the spout and only 25% came out of the shower head. I mentioned this to the person at the front desk on my first day of meetings but, upon using the shower the next morning, nothing had changed. The electric outlet in the bathroom over the sink also did not have a switchplate. Wireless internet service did not work in the room so I had to sit in the little lobby by the front desk in order to respond to business e-mails.

The restaurant and bar, located off each end of the lobby, were not associated with the hotel and I did not find this out until I requested that my bill be charged to my room and they told me that that could not be done as they are separate entities from the hotel. I had to pay the charges with my credit card.

There is nothing in the area, other than a couple of restaurants kitty corner from the hotel, and it is rather eerie at night. After checking in, I walked to the grocery store two blocks away to get some snacks and by the time I was leaving, it was pitch black and I did not feel safe walking, as there was virtually no street traffic and all the buildings along the route back to the hotel were either shuttered, vacant, unoccupied, or dilapidated.

I will not be staying at this hotel again and do not recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Downingtown PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a nice older hotel located in the warehouse district. The rooms very are very spacious and clean. The rooms on the street side have the typical small cute New Orleans balconies but you can hear some street noise. This is the second time I have stayed there and would stay there again.

Room Tip: While a little bit of a hike - you can walk to most locations
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel is really nice but it only has bedrooms, there is no bar or restaurant within the hotel. There is a bar on one side and a restaurant on the other side but they are not connected to the hotel. The hotel itself does not do breakfast but they did have tea and coffee making facilities. The hotel staff were very friendly, the room was really nice and spacious and very clean and the hotel was in a very good location. I would recommed the hotel for a city visit once you are aware of the fact that they dont do food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I agree with other reviews that this hotel is charming, and not a chain hotel. The rest of our experience was way off from other reviews. First the price of the hotel. We booked two months in advance, and were shocked after we checked in to find that their website was advertising our room for $70 cheaper online for that night. I called the front desk who said that they could not change our rate until the manager came in the next day at 11:00AM. When I finally got a hold of her at 1:00PM the next day she said that rates fluctuated frequently and she could not verify the rate that we saw on the site and would not modify our rate. She did agree to adjust the rate for the stock rate for the second night, but did not honor a discount rate that I found on another site. Forgot to mention that it took five calls and multiple follow-ups to get her to contact us.

We booked a balcony room which ended up being very small. There was no room around the bed for our suitcases. The bathroom had no fan in it, and the carpet had large patches that were threadbare. The mattress was old, and incredibly soft, and some of the light bulbs were burned out. Also we paid in advance for the internet which did not work in our room. I had to got down to the elevators to get a connection.

I really wanted to like this hotel, because it is in a great location. Unfortunately we ended up moving down the street to another hotel for the rest of our stay. Disappointing to say the least. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights to shop and see the sights. We loved our room! Very large and well appointed. Not your average hotel furniture, but reproduction pieces and gilded lamps. Our room appeared recently painted a calming blue color, and new velvet drapes were held back with beautiful tassel rope tie backs. We had a balcony room that looked out on St. Charles Ave. Worth the splurge!

The bathroom was full of NOLA charm too--marble tile floor and old brass fixtures. Even with older appointments, the bathroom was large and clean. The shower head beat any I've used in years! Brand new and perfect water pressure.

This hotel is perfectly located in a quiet, safe area with restaurants nearby. Easy walk to French Quarter, Aquarium, WWII Museum, and Riverwalk. Staff was friendly, and Carla Jane gave us the city lowdown at check-in. As a mom and daughter (age 12) traveling alone, I felt safe the entire trip.

We chose this hotel due to streetcar line running in front of hotel, but it is under renovation now. Also part of Canal Street line is down too. You can get there by bus, but we didn't bother with it.

Down side with this boutique style hotel--no vending or ice machines and no fridge/microwave in room. Didn't bother me too much as we had toted bottled water with us for the room. Good thing as city was under a boil water alert our first day there! TV was small, but we didn't spend much time in room anyway.

My only real disappointment was the bed linens. They don't use fitted bottom sheets, and bottom sheet worked loose every night. I'm not sure why some hotels do this, but I have never liked it! Also no comforter on bed--they had blanket wrapped in sheets like duvet. This also seems to be a trend at many hotels, but I like heavy covers. And our room was freezing! We had to turn a/c off 2 of 3 nights because it was so cold in room. I guess that's a good problem to have in New Orleans! We open our doors to get fresh air too--another advantage to balcony room.

Valet parking was a breeze--seemed expensive but is in line with other hotels in city. I heard there are other parking lots that are cheaper, but I felt safer having my car in a gated hotel lot across the street. There is no on street overnight parking in the area.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay again. Great price and location!

Room Tip: Get a balcony room for the view and ambiance.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
sub vet
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I chose the Lafeyette do it its location being so near the Shell Square complex. The restaraunt and bar were as nice as anyone could expect. The room was comfortable and suited my needs for the two nights I stayed there (Monday night and Tuesday). The furnishings could have been better, the table tops appeared to be damaged by years of abuse, alcohol spills, and general rough service. This did not bother me since I was interested in a clean bed and good shower, both of which they had. The bathroom needs updating but is very functional. The pictures I saw on the website are not representitive of the room in which I stayed. I was never bothered by noise either from the street or the room next door. It was disheartening that the door for the emergency exit to the stairs was half off its hinges (easier escape?). I would stay there again on business, but not for a romantic stay with my wife.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness center available.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Lafayette Hotel? Share your experiences!