“Charming Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lafayette Hotel

You added The Lafayette Hotel to your Saves list
The Lafayette Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 St Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Offers & Announcements
Weekday Rates from $87
Ranked #88 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Memphis, Tennessee
“Charming Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights to shop and see the sights. We loved our room! Very large and well appointed. Not your average hotel furniture, but reproduction pieces and gilded lamps. Our room appeared recently painted a calming blue color, and new velvet drapes were held back with beautiful tassel rope tie backs. We had a balcony room that looked out on St. Charles Ave. Worth the splurge!

The bathroom was full of NOLA charm too--marble tile floor and old brass fixtures. Even with older appointments, the bathroom was large and clean. The shower head beat any I've used in years! Brand new and perfect water pressure.

This hotel is perfectly located in a quiet, safe area with restaurants nearby. Easy walk to French Quarter, Aquarium, WWII Museum, and Riverwalk. Staff was friendly, and Carla Jane gave us the city lowdown at check-in. As a mom and daughter (age 12) traveling alone, I felt safe the entire trip.

We chose this hotel due to streetcar line running in front of hotel, but it is under renovation now. Also part of Canal Street line is down too. You can get there by bus, but we didn't bother with it.

Down side with this boutique style hotel--no vending or ice machines and no fridge/microwave in room. Didn't bother me too much as we had toted bottled water with us for the room. Good thing as city was under a boil water alert our first day there! TV was small, but we didn't spend much time in room anyway.

My only real disappointment was the bed linens. They don't use fitted bottom sheets, and bottom sheet worked loose every night. I'm not sure why some hotels do this, but I have never liked it! Also no comforter on bed--they had blanket wrapped in sheets like duvet. This also seems to be a trend at many hotels, but I like heavy covers. And our room was freezing! We had to turn a/c off 2 of 3 nights because it was so cold in room. I guess that's a good problem to have in New Orleans! We open our doors to get fresh air too--another advantage to balcony room.

Valet parking was a breeze--seemed expensive but is in line with other hotels in city. I heard there are other parking lots that are cheaper, but I felt safer having my car in a gated hotel lot across the street. There is no on street overnight parking in the area.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay again. Great price and location!

Room Tip: Get a balcony room for the view and ambiance.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
sub vet
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I chose the Lafeyette do it its location being so near the Shell Square complex. The restaraunt and bar were as nice as anyone could expect. The room was comfortable and suited my needs for the two nights I stayed there (Monday night and Tuesday). The furnishings could have been better, the table tops appeared to be damaged by years of abuse, alcohol spills, and general rough service. This did not bother me since I was interested in a clean bed and good shower, both of which they had. The bathroom needs updating but is very functional. The pictures I saw on the website are not representitive of the room in which I stayed. I was never bothered by noise either from the street or the room next door. It was disheartening that the door for the emergency exit to the stairs was half off its hinges (easier escape?). I would stay there again on business, but not for a romantic stay with my wife.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness center available.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Albany, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Very large rooms for the price we paid! We stayed for 4 nights and loved it. The decor and furnishings were a perfect fit for Louisiana charm. The bed was dreamy! Lots of soft pillows and the comforter felt like a big pillow as well. We had the car valet parked when we first arrived, and we didn't have to move the car once. We walked to every location easily. Since it was an older property, my only complaint would be about the plumbing. The tub was a slow drainer and one of the sinks was a tad leaky. On the other hand, the electricity and air conditioning were perfect.

Room Tip: Don't go for the balony rooms, it's not much of a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel on a weekend trip and found it perfectly suited to my needs. I traveled with my mother, who is a senior, and one of her friends who met us and stayed for a night as well. I had a king suite which was extremely large and well appointed. The suites are set up as two rooms essentially with a split wall divider. The living-room portion had a pull out sofa which our friend slept on with no complaints, several comfortable chairs, a desk, TV etc. Nothing missing. There was a lovely bar entry area, bathroom and of course the bedroom portion. Additionally I had a meeting in the suite which fit 6 people comfortably in the living room portion. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the restaurant downstairs was lovely!

In response to some comments that this hotel is outdated, I would say that it has an old southern charm with lovely design features and antiques. It isn't supposed to look "modern." The Rooms had two TVs, not plasma but still working. The bathroom would be my only complaint, ours had some ceiling tiles missing and needed a bit of repair. The location was perfect for me, however, to get to the center of the French Quarter it is about .8 miles to walk which some people may not find to their liking. The hotel overlooks Lafayette Square which is quite and beautiful if you want to avoid the French Quarter noise.

Overall, the feel of old south and the large rooms won me over. I would stay here again and recommend it to people who want an authentic NOLA stay. If you like all modern elements, this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Whatever you do, I suggest that you NOT make an advance reservation for this hotel. BIG mistake.

I did that, and had to cancel because my reason for coming to New Orleans disappeared at the last minute. I called the night before my intended arrival and asked to cancel and avoid the cancellation fee. My first effort to do this failed because the toll-free number rang unanswered, so I had to look through the web site to find a local number to call. By the time I got through, I learned that they count from 4 PM, and they really could not care less if you miss that deadline even by just an hour or so. And interesting enough, the reservation rates on their web site were LOWER than the price I was charged for an advance reservation.

So, unless you are coming at a high volume time like Jazz Fest or the Sugar Bowl, save your money and bag your room here at the last minute.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mesa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My Fiancee and I were traveling home from NY and had the night to spend in N.O. We had stayed at a more expensive, name brand hotel on the outward bound trip and were not satisfied at all. I was browsing other hotels in the N,O. area for the return trip when I happened upon the Lafayette Hotel. I made the reservation online. Very simple. To say that our expectations were exceeded by our arrival and subsequent stay at the Lafayette would be a gross understatement.

The Staff was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The hotel itself was beautiful, and the suite was impeccable. While we may not travel much, I can with certainty state that when our travels take us through New Orleans again, a stay at the Lafayette Hotel will be at the top of the "to do" list.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Logan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I will stay here again. Room clean and spacious, a few maintenance issues - but nothing to deter from the pleasure of my stay. Dwayne - night staff person, was very helpful. Great location. Close to convention center, some good restaurants, museums, both uptown and the French Quarter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Lafayette Hotel? Share your experiences!