“Do NOT waste your money on an advance reservation” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Lafayette Hotel

You added The Lafayette Hotel to your Saves list
The Lafayette Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 St Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Central Business District)   |
Special Rate
$79 Weekday Rates
Ranked #87 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Do NOT waste your money on an advance reservation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Whatever you do, I suggest that you NOT make an advance reservation for this hotel. BIG mistake.

I did that, and had to cancel because my reason for coming to New Orleans disappeared at the last minute. I called the night before my intended arrival and asked to cancel and avoid the cancellation fee. My first effort to do this failed because the toll-free number rang unanswered, so I had to look through the web site to find a local number to call. By the time I got through, I learned that they count from 4 PM, and they really could not care less if you miss that deadline even by just an hour or so. And interesting enough, the reservation rates on their web site were LOWER than the price I was charged for an advance reservation.

So, unless you are coming at a high volume time like Jazz Fest or the Sugar Bowl, save your money and bag your room here at the last minute.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mesa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My Fiancee and I were traveling home from NY and had the night to spend in N.O. We had stayed at a more expensive, name brand hotel on the outward bound trip and were not satisfied at all. I was browsing other hotels in the N,O. area for the return trip when I happened upon the Lafayette Hotel. I made the reservation online. Very simple. To say that our expectations were exceeded by our arrival and subsequent stay at the Lafayette would be a gross understatement.

The Staff was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The hotel itself was beautiful, and the suite was impeccable. While we may not travel much, I can with certainty state that when our travels take us through New Orleans again, a stay at the Lafayette Hotel will be at the top of the "to do" list.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Logan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I will stay here again. Room clean and spacious, a few maintenance issues - but nothing to deter from the pleasure of my stay. Dwayne - night staff person, was very helpful. Great location. Close to convention center, some good restaurants, museums, both uptown and the French Quarter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel was very charming and in a nice area. The staff was polite and professional. The on-site bar was a happening location. However, the room needed some TLC. The light cover above the bathroom sinks was smashed in and the drain in the tub took 4 hours to completely drain. The room overall was clean, the beds comfortable and the room temperature perfect. I understand this is a older hotel, it just needs a little attention.

Room Tip: The king size suite was huge and a real bargain for the price!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was in town for a conference and didn't want to stay at the big conference center. I was looking for a boutique hotel and this was perfect. It was only six blocks from the conference, a nice morning and afternoon walk. My room was huge and included king sized bed, living area and bar. The Lafayette is close to the French Quarters (walking distance) and on a trolley line. Also close to a great grocery store with deli and prepared meals if you need. Could use a little paint and perhaps new carpet, but the layout was awesome. I'd definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Love this place. I stay here on business and always enjoy it. Located in the central business district, close to great restaurants, the garden district, Frenchmens street, and the quarter. Also, dangerously close to Mothers (best comfort food in NOLA-you gotta try this place, seriously). Rooms are big, hotel is quaint and old, but has a touch of NOLA that I absolutely love. I hesitate to share this, for fear I'll blow it up. Oh well. Give it a shot.

• Stayed July 2012
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Lafayette is located next to Lafayette Square, a welcom patch of green trees and statuary that lends a certain calm to the area. Our room was a King Suite, with a separate bedroom and a living area with a sofa bed, armchairs, small table, refrigerator and mini-sink. The bathroom was large, marble floors, but the jacuzzi tub did not work and the shower was weird to operate. We had to get help from the front desk to make it work. That, and the lack of a pool, are the only things that made it less than perfect. The room was spacious and comfortable, with lovely antique furniture, tastefully decorated, high ceilings, and windows overlooking the square. The neighborhood is residencial, with lots of the iconic wrought iron balconies I like to see in NOLA. Federal buildings nearby keep it safe, and there are bistros and restaurantes within a couple of blocks, including one downstairs. We got to the French Quarter on foot a couple of times, it's not too far, and the second day we took a taxi back, only $7. The Lafayette is the ideal base of oprations for a New Orleans visit. The location is great, reasonable price, friendly attentive staff and quiet, charming surroundings. We would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Choose king Suite instead of two rooms. You save money, and there is plenty of room. The sofa bed...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Lafayette Hotel? Share your experiences!