“Very pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 stars
Review of French Market Inn

Save Saved
You added French Market Inn to your Saves list
French Market Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Rue Decatur, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Announcement
New Pillowtop Mattresses
Ranked #19 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
New York
“Very pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel is not only very affordable, but it is very charming and in a great location. As a woman traveling alone, I was a little nervous about going out by myself, but the neighborhood is very safe and the location is close to many tourist attractions while being a good distance away from the whole Bourbon Street scene, which I was not interested in. While I chose this hotel because I was traveling alone and on business, so the room didn't matter me, I would definitely come back to this hotel for a couples vacation and would recommend it to others. I got the queen petit, which was perfectly fine for one person, but if traveling with someone else I would probably get one of the larger rooms. My only quibble with my room was that I could not open the window, but the hotel staff informed me this dated back to a 1930-s era law requiring all hotel rooms in the French Quarter over a certain height to have their windows nailed shut (presumably to prevent people from falling out!). As a result, the room was very quiet, even though it overlooked the busy Decatur Street and the river beyond that. I was so delighted with this hotel that I ended up leading several impromptu tours of it during my stay. If you stay here, make sure to have breakfast (or lunch or dinner) at The Grill around the corner on 540 Chartres Street. The breakfast was fantastic and their famous grilled pecan pie ala mode is to die for (they are the same as the famous Camellia Grill uptown but due to a legal dispute with the prior owner they are not allowed to go by that name).

Room Tip: My petit room with one queen bed was fine for one person and had a view of the river.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Payson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The location is great with easy access to everywhere you want to go. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are small but comfortable. It appears to have been recently remodeled. We stayed in room 310, which faces the courtyard. The bed was comfortable and the room was relatively quiet (expect for the couple that wanted to have a long, loud argument in the courtyard at 4:30am).

I would have given the hotel a higher rating if it weren't for the maintenance and housekeeping issues:

The sink faucet was really loose and spun around.
The toilet seat was so loose, it felt like I was on a ride
The shower faucet handle fell off in my hand while in the middle of a shower.
Dirty ashtrays and cigarettes butts on the stairs, railings and newel posts that were never cleaned.
There was a dirty cup on the stairs in the courtyard when we arrived. It was still there 3 days later. I even took a photo of it
I put a wet washcloth in the floor in the bathroom. After the room was cleaned, the wet washcloth was still there, so obviously the floor hadn't been cleaned.
The coffee pot was not cleaned or the coffee refilled until we left a note.
The filter for the A/C looks like it hadn't been changed in months. It was so thick with dust that I'm surprised the a/c worked at all.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a window as they all don't have one.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just the best location in the French Quarter. We walked everywhere. We stayed four nights and really did so much. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I loved the old-worldliness of the hotel. One should expect the room to be small, but otherwise, clean and charming.

Room Tip: Pick the courtyard side as opposed to the streetside.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Shreveport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was one of my go-to places to stay in the French Quarter, but this stay was not up to par for them. The problem was the staff. I booked a deluxe King, but when I got there, I was put in a dank closet with a view of the air-conditioning unit, and a leaky toilet. When I returned to the desk with my bags and informed the front desk of my issues, the lady was apologetic, but I really got the feeling that her attitude was one of "you got me, I tried to pass the dumpy room on you." There was very little concern with my displeasure with the room. I'm quite sure that I was not the first person that they tried to push that cave off onto, but as a frequent guest of Valentino Hotels, I am very disappointed with this decision. I was then given a very nice room, that was fully renovated and was quite nice. The housekeeping staff and the bell-men were wonderful as always, but the desk people were much less personable this time. I'm looking forward to staying somewhere else on my next stay in New Orleans.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are preferable
Erlangen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here for the last 4 nights of our USA trip. We chose this place because of the good reviews, good price and location in the middle of the french quarter so we could get rid of our rental car instead of paying $27 per day just for parking. We had one of those little rooms with no window, but that was no problem at all, as we only used it for sleeping. Everything was in good shape and clean, good matresses... nothing to complain about and the room was actually quite nice. There is also enough place in the nice courtyard (where the cat lives) by the pool to sit at a table and read or have a drink. Staff was also nice and helpful for example about the streetcars and offerd a map. In the end we were happy to have chosen a hotel in walking or streetcar distance to everything we wanted to visit, instead of choosing some place outside the city for a few dollars less. This way we did not have to use cabs or park the rental car in overpriced parking lots.
The only bad thing I remember was on Sunday morning, when the cleaning staff was really loud for several ours so we could not sleep any more. Apparently they had a lot to discuss using their waklie talkies, including frequent beeping tones.

Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed at the French Market in for 2 nights. It is very conveniently located for any New Orleans activities. The hotel is very charming, and far enough away from Bourbon Street that even at the weekend, it is not noisy.
We really enjoyed staying at this hotel and would definitely considering going back.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

The location was great - no doubt about it. The building is historic, architecturally and interesting. However, be aware that they have rooms without windows that are also tiiiinnny! I mean barely enough room to walk around the bed... and the bathroom is equally ity bity. We asked if we could pay more for another room but they were booked. Evidently they are busy enough to not be concerned. We took our annual mother / daughter trip there and we had a really good time, regardless of the fact that the room was so small and no windows. Also, EVERYTHING is really expensive except the streetcars. We rode on 4 different street cars and all of the drivers were great - very helpful.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Been to French Market Inn? Share your experiences!