“Welcome relief” 4 of 5 stars
Review of French Market Inn

Save Saved
You added French Market Inn to your Saves list
French Market Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Rue Decatur, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Offers & Announcements
Weekday Rates from $79
Ranked #11 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
London, Canada
“Welcome relief”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I was honestly worried when I read some negative reviews of this place after booking solely on basis of location and price. It turned out to be great. I called to ensure I had one of the renovated rooms. It was of adequate size (unless you are going to NOLA to sit in your room). It was clean. Our king sized bed was comfortable. Staff were frdly and helpful. Location was perfect for walking 2 or 3 blocks to excellent restaurants, 5 min to the madness of bourbon street, 3 blocks to french market 10 minutes to Frenchman street music venues. probably good to be on 4th floor because Decatur St is busy with tourist traffic well into the night. Do not understand the reviewer who was irritated by the Natchez riverboat calliope playing for 30 minutes at the dock across the street about 200 yds away around 11 am 2 pm. and. 6 pm. It was all part of the atmosphere and again, in the coolest city in the world what are you doing in your room? Maybe you should have stayed in Fargo! Felt very safe at that location. Often when I go to a city I see another place I wish I had stayed. In this case when I return, this will be my choice. But not a bad idea to call and confirm you are getting a room that is renovated and either facing the quaint courtyard or- my preference- facing the river but at least three if not four floors up

• Stayed February 2014

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brentwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

We stayed in a (too) small room before our cruise and requested a change to a bigger room for our stay after our cruise. The staff is polite and helpful, the rooms tastefully modeled and very well kept, beds nice and cozy, and the atmosphere created throughout the hotel is nice Southern charm. Location put us within walking/bikecab distance of all our French Quarter favorites. Number one spot to stay for us!

• Stayed June 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Rooms were great. Exception being if right next to pool due to noise. But they will move you to make sure you are happy if you get placed there.
Location is perfect. Next door is take out tap. Can't beat that! Staff very helpful and thoughtful. But …the best thing of all is the place is guarded by this uber cool cat (Patrick…so…I mean….Patrick….you have to be an amazing cat to carry a name like that!), who patrols the space and gives approval to guests he allows to pet him and hang out with him. If you are one of the lucky ones….you feel like an old wizard said he liked you. :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Buda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed at this hotel in early July 2014 and it was an instant favorite of ours. Its in a great location and has incredible charm and character. We stayed in a "petite" room that had a window overlooking the courtyard. Our room was one of the recently renovated ones so it was very, very nice. The staff we encountered were all very nice and helpful. We felt like royalty.

Pros: People, Product and Price. You can't go wrong here as long as you get one of the renovated rooms. Its also very close to some tasty restuarants, shopping, the acquarium, etc.

Cons: Your overall experience will probably depend on which room you get. Also, its New Orleans and so the parkin situation is not great. I think they hotel charges $35/night and they warned us that it would take upwards of an hour to get our car from the valet due to the event status of our stay.

Room Tip: The petite rooms are very small. Its a challenge to fit two people and luggage into the room. If nat...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

after a bad experience with bad beds in another hotel, we moved a block to french market inn on decatur street - a great experience with big, comfy beds...and better service...and better accommodations all around...oh, and better prices. i highly recommend this hotel, location, service and price...

Room Tip: some rooms have a terrace view of the river and overlooking the street. surprisingly quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I was immediately greeted and taken care of. The room was nice and cool upon arrival which was a great retreat from the heat. I gave three stars for cleanliness; the bathroom floor had hair on it upon arrival and I woke up with hair on my body from the bed (not my hair). There was also an issue with the wi-fi. On desktop the wi-fi worked great, on mobile, it only worked in the lobby, not in the room. The cell signal was also bad. Business calls and dealings over wi-fi are essential and I was pretty disappointed about this. The receptionist said that it should work fine and when I tried to explain that it didn't, she took out her phone (in the lobby where it works) to show me it was working.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Philly Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Needed one night and found the French Market inn at a very reasonable price. Booked it through a third party, but later found it would have been cheaper to book it direct, have to remember to always check the website first. Room was the size you expect for a major city, small, but very clean, well appointed, and comfortable. As it is a series of buildings attached together, it is an interesting journey to get to your room. Had to go up to the third floor, then out to an outside balcony and then in another door to get to the room. Surprise, my room over looking the courtyard was over looking not much, no window in the room. The location in the French Quarter puts you in the middle of everything. Issues were parking. Website mentioned it but no directions on how to do it. I called and the person who answered connected me to a phone that rang without anyone answering it. The answer is that you find parking by yourself, which I did. Or you pull up and the bellman arranges for a valet to come and get it. That service is about $32.00 plus tips. When I arrived I was told that the front desk person had stepped out and would be back shortly. Really, only one person running the place does not inspire confidence in my choice of hotels. So I gave it a very good because communication with the by phone and in person was rough. All that taken together, I would stay there again and look forward to it. There is a small pool in the courtyard, and know that there are no food facilities at the Inn. However, you only need to go out the front door and there are plenty within a few steps.

Room Tip: If a window matters, ask if your room will have one, also, if walking is an issue be sure to ask how...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to French Market Inn? Share your experiences!