“Love This Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of French Market Inn

You added French Market Inn to your Saves list
French Market Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   509 Rue Decatur, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)   |
Offers & Announcements
$79 Weekday Rates
Ranked #12 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Buda
“Love This Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in early July 2014 and it was an instant favorite of ours. Its in a great location and has incredible charm and character. We stayed in a "petite" room that had a window overlooking the courtyard. Our room was one of the recently renovated ones so it was very, very nice. The staff we encountered were all very nice and helpful. We felt like royalty.

Pros: People, Product and Price. You can't go wrong here as long as you get one of the renovated rooms. Its also very close to some tasty restuarants, shopping, the acquarium, etc.

Cons: Your overall experience will probably depend on which room you get. Also, its New Orleans and so the parkin situation is not great. I think they hotel charges $35/night and they warned us that it would take upwards of an hour to get our car from the valet due to the event status of our stay.

Room Tip: The petite rooms are very small. Its a challenge to fit two people and luggage into the room. If nat...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

after a bad experience with bad beds in another hotel, we moved a block to french market inn on decatur street - a great experience with big, comfy beds...and better service...and better accommodations all around...oh, and better prices. i highly recommend this hotel, location, service and price...

Room Tip: some rooms have a terrace view of the river and overlooking the street. surprisingly quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I was immediately greeted and taken care of. The room was nice and cool upon arrival which was a great retreat from the heat. I gave three stars for cleanliness; the bathroom floor had hair on it upon arrival and I woke up with hair on my body from the bed (not my hair). There was also an issue with the wi-fi. On desktop the wi-fi worked great, on mobile, it only worked in the lobby, not in the room. The cell signal was also bad. Business calls and dealings over wi-fi are essential and I was pretty disappointed about this. The receptionist said that it should work fine and when I tried to explain that it didn't, she took out her phone (in the lobby where it works) to show me it was working.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Philly Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Needed one night and found the French Market inn at a very reasonable price. Booked it through a third party, but later found it would have been cheaper to book it direct, have to remember to always check the website first. Room was the size you expect for a major city, small, but very clean, well appointed, and comfortable. As it is a series of buildings attached together, it is an interesting journey to get to your room. Had to go up to the third floor, then out to an outside balcony and then in another door to get to the room. Surprise, my room over looking the courtyard was over looking not much, no window in the room. The location in the French Quarter puts you in the middle of everything. Issues were parking. Website mentioned it but no directions on how to do it. I called and the person who answered connected me to a phone that rang without anyone answering it. The answer is that you find parking by yourself, which I did. Or you pull up and the bellman arranges for a valet to come and get it. That service is about $32.00 plus tips. When I arrived I was told that the front desk person had stepped out and would be back shortly. Really, only one person running the place does not inspire confidence in my choice of hotels. So I gave it a very good because communication with the by phone and in person was rough. All that taken together, I would stay there again and look forward to it. There is a small pool in the courtyard, and know that there are no food facilities at the Inn. However, you only need to go out the front door and there are plenty within a few steps.

Room Tip: If a window matters, ask if your room will have one, also, if walking is an issue be sure to ask how...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I have long enjoyed all the Valentino hotels in the Quarter, and having toured this gem in 2011, as renovations began, it was pure pleasure to enjoy the lovely results overseen by manager Tim and his excellent staff. The balcony room overlooking the Mississippi was perfect, as I was in New Orleans to revisit special places and scatter my husband's ashes in the city he loved. Exceptionally clean and comfortable room and bed, and I relaxed in the historic courtyard with resident greeter, cat Patrick. In this most walkable of cities, the central location allows for rambles in the Quarter, down Frenchman Street, and uptown to the streetcar routes. So many nearby restaurants offer endless possibilities for a taste of New Orleans. It was a quick walk to Louis Armstrong Park for the Cajun & Zydeco festival, and I look forward to returning many times for more music with family and friends.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms overlook Decatur Street, and I enjoyed the nightlife sounds from the river.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This was my second stay at the French Market Inn, the previous being about 20 years ago. I am so glad that I chose this hotel again. You cannot beat the price and location. It is the most convenient for shopping the French Quarter or hanging out in Jackson Square. The hotel is charming and the staff is super friendly. The rooms are a bit small, so it takes some planning and creativity to manage your luggage and to have two people share the bathroom. I was glad that our room had a window to the courtyard, otherwise it might feel a bit claustrophobic. The only negative about our room was the A/C unit blew directly on the bed. I understand there isn't much choice in where to place the unit with the small rooms, but if the A/C will blow directly on the bed (and there is no getting away from it) then a thicker blanket would be nice. The blanket provided is very thin. I found the room quiet, despite other reviews to the contrary. This being said, I would definitely stay here again--we had a great time!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is one of the cleanest places I've ever stayed, the staff is so helpful. Location to everything & not over priced. Would highly recommend to anyone. When back in New Orleans this will be the place I stay, just can't say enough great things about our stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are recommended
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to French Market Inn? Share your experiences!