“Great Place to Stay in the Garden Distric” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Charles Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
St. Charles Guest House
You added St. Charles Guest House to your Saves list
1748 Prytania St., New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #73 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Place to Stay in the Garden Distric”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2005

Fabulous place we so glad we got the chance to explore the funky, friendly neighborhood of the garden distric. We couldn't have had a better place to spend vacation and what a great place to be in the midlle of new orleans.

Great accomodations, friendly locals, walking distance to the Quarter, who could ask for more? Nice pool area and wondurfull staff.

I can't rave enough about this place. Thanks so much Denis for saving our vacation.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

This was by far one of the best travel experiences I've ever had. I have traveled across the country as a recruiter for universities and in europe for leisure; i've stayed in fancy but anonymous hotels as well as fancy and anonymous bed and breakfasts, but this place had a distinct and endearing charm that is, quite frankly, incomparable. I arrived just after Jazz Fest had ended and even though the staff talked about how full they had been and how busy, they extended every courtesy to me, even going so far as to give me a ride (with all of my luggage) to the trainstation on the morning I left. The staff is extremely personable and well-informed. One young man told me about everything I needed to know to have the best etouffe at the Mardi Gras party I plan to throw when I return to Maryland, and another young man knew all the "hip" eateries and clubs in the quarter and in the vicinity. The owner talks to everyone like he truly cares about what they have to say, instead of the curt, all-business conversations one finds too frequently at large hotels. I wish I had been around for the crawfish boil, but maybe next year. I've recommended this place to many of my friends. It's a relief to find a humane place to stay and to find that Southern hospitality is still alive somewhere.

• Stayed May 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

We stayed in a wonderful private room which had so much charm. It is two block from the trolley headed to the French Quarter and has a swimming pool and a continental breakfast that consists of more than coffee and doughnuts! Plus we received FREE WIRELESS INTERNET! Overall a great place to stay if you are headed for the Jazz capital of the world. The one caveat is that it is a clean place, but not spotless.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

The St. Charles Guesthouse on Prytania Street in New Orleans is the "best kept secret" of New Orleans. I never come to this part of the country without staying with the Hiltons, who have become my friends over the years.

Every room has it's own distinct characteristics, and you really feel as though you are staying at someone's home when you are there. It is convenient not only to downtown and the French Quarter, but just as close to the famous Garden District as well.

Having traveled all across the United States and the world, I would recommend that anyone who places value on the the "qualtiy" rather that "quantity" of where they stay, owes themselves the experience of the St. Charles Guesthouse.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2005

I've been visiting New Orleans since I was a little kid in the 60's. My aunt lived on Esplanade Avenue, one of the boundries of the French Quarter. My parents let me run wild alone on Bourbon St. and the sleasier parts when it was relatively safe even though you ocasionally had to step over drunks in the street. (there, but for the grace of God).
Later I expanded my range across Canal on to the street car line of St. Charles street. I brought my girl friends and started to explore some of the more gracious hotels and bed and breakfasts. I enjoyed the antique shops on Magazine and the music on (pronounced "chop-ah-too-las"-sorry, cannot spell.)
While ariving by Amtrak, I met Dennis and his wife, Joanne who run a couple of small hotels one of which is the St. Charles Guest House over on Prytania St. on the 1700 block. Since then I've stayed there four or five times with different companions and they have all raved about it. It's a combination of quaint Victorian elegance and graciousness. There's an unhurried, relaxed feeling about the place. Dennis hires a quick and knowledgable staff who are streetsmart and prepared to help with information about loacal bars or restaurants which are within easy walking distance.
There are no telephones or TVs, but who cares, it's New Orleans. All the entertainment is outside.

Thanks,

Carey Snow
Tuscaloosa, Al.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

I should have trusted the negative Trip Advisor reviews, but I just had to find out for myself if this place was cool. The hotel website convinced me it could be. Oh Trip Advisor, I will never doubt you again!

This place was a mess. I have stayed in "European Style Hotels" before. I have no problem with funky joints, small rooms, old furniture. I like old places with character. But when I walked into my room at the St. Charles Guest House, I just had to laugh. What a filthy mess! Not charming. Just gross. There were dirty handprints all over one wall. Holes and tears in the wallpaper on another. The rug was trashed, ripped, stained. The ceiling was waterstained and warped. The mattresses were dark brown with age. The furniture looked like it was salvaged from the street. Everywhere I looked was a nasty surprise. The shower was in this bizarre industrial closet and was disgustingly dirty.

I compare it to this motel in Illinois that was a halfway home for released felons. There was no physical danger at the St.Charles but the facilities were equally depressing. I just wanted to leave. The only positive about my room was that I didn't see any roaches or other vermin.

It's in a fine location, it has a beautiful lobby and the staff were very nice. Nice, but amateurs. Kids in the city for the summer. They didn't know much about working in a hotel. Thye didn't know anything about the hotel they were working in. They got drunk by the pool alot. Thats cool, I guess. I might have partied with them, except the place was just such a depressing dive. It's somewhat inexpensive, but way too much money for the shape its in.

I would stay here again if it were $20 a night. Maybe.

• Stayed June 2005
Hopewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

The St. Charles Guest House in New Orlean's Lower Garden District feels like New Orleans. The place is a 125-year-old former boarding house and it tends to attract an eclectic group of guests, the kind of people who don't get wide-eyed at the idea of big screen TV or rooms that all look the same so the only way you can tell your home is if your plastic key card fits. The people who come to the guest house tend to hang out by the pool underneath the bananna trees and get to know one another. The staff, many of whom live at the guest house, and the owner are helpful and friendly, so you feel like you are part of the neighborhood while you are staying there. The neighborhood is lovely, located between the Garden District and downtown and one block off the streetcar line. The place is basic: breakfast is buns and toast and the rooms have 125-year-old plumbing and window air conditioners. Some rooms have been renovated more than others, but the staff seems happy to fulfill your needs if you are clear about what you want. And, the place is a bargain. Where can you stay in New Orleans for well under $100 a night, depending on the time of year? If you want a place to stay in New Orleans that has spirit, then the St. Charles Guest House will be for you. I have been there four or five times and always run into repeat customers like myself.

Been to St. Charles Guest House? Share your experiences!